Overclock.net banner

Silverstone Sugo SG08 / SG08-Lite Owners Club

120897 Views 474 Replies 76 Participants Last post by  worthy.vii
Hello! Welcome to the Silverstone Sugo SG08 / SG08-Lite Case Club @ OCN!! The SG08 case has been around since 2012 while the SG08-Lite released in Feb. 2014 without a dedicated case club here at OCN. Owners of this case are using this as a dedicated HTPC case while others are using it as a gaming rig. If you would like to join the club, post some pics and description of your build.

Introduction:

SG08

To further increase the appeal of the groundbreaking Sugo SG07, SilverStone engineers crafted a follow-up version in the SG08. For the first time in a SilverStone product and likely also the first for Mini-ITX, a 1cm (0.4 inch) thick extruded aluminum was used to adorn the front panel of a chassis. Finished with fine brush surface and anodized, the SG08's front panel rivals the best home theater equipment in quality and style. The award winning and proven features from the SG07 remain such as the Air Penetrator AP181 fan with dual speed switch, easily removable fan filter, positive pressure layout, and the included 80 PLUS Bronze certified 600W power supply. While compact in size at only 14.8 liters, the SG08 is still capable of accepting a healthy selection of full size components. Even the longest consumer graphics cards that are up to 12.2 inches can fit. This extraordinary capacity, along with the cooling power provided by the built-in AP181 fan, makes the SG08, along with SG07, the ultimate Mini-ITX chassis.
  • Thick 10mm aluminum front panel with premium styling
  • Class leading SFF chassis with 180mm fan and positive pressure cooling
  • Ample space for CPU cooling (117mm in height)
  • Elevated standoff for motherboard back side components
  • Support for two 2.5" SSD/hard drives and one 3.5" hard drive
  • Includes 80 PLUS Bronze certified [email protected]℃ PSU with single +12V rail
  • Adjustable VGA fan duct for improved cooling efficiency
  • Removable fan filters included for case fan, PSU, and VGA duct
  • Support graphics cards up to 12.2 inches and 400W

SG08-Lite

For years, SilverStone Sugo series has been the benchmark and the standard for high-performance Mini-ITX chassis. The SG08-LITE was designed to retain all the signature features from the award-winning SG08 such as the compact 14.8-liter design that can accommodate graphic card up to 12.2" and the premium 10mm aluminum front panel where SilverStone engineers have further updated the slim optical slot into slot-loading variety for cleaner styling. Its specially designed fan bracket offers the users flexible cooling options for 180mm fan or 120mm/140mm fan with water-cooling radiator. To keep dust out, all intake vents are equipped with removable filters for easy-cleaning. In contrast with its relatively small size, the SG08-LITE supports standard ATX PSU for greater selections and when used with SilverStone's Strider Gold S series, the smallest full modular power supplies with 80 PLUS Gold in the world, or our carefully engineered SFX PSUs, the SG08-LITE can help you create an incredible Mini-ITX system.
  • Ample space for CPU cooling (147mm in height)
  • Thick 10mm aluminum front panel with premium styling
  • Elevated standoff for motherboard backside components
  • Fan bracket supports 180mm fan or 120mm/140mm fan + water cooling radiator
  • Support for two 2.5" SSD/hard drives
  • Removable fan filters included for case fan and PSU
  • Support graphics cards up to 12.2 inches
Official Website

SG08: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=317&area=en
SG08-Lite: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=484

Recommended Components

Club Rules
1: Add picture(s) of your rig.
2: Please respect other members.

Club Members
Hybster
minnus

Once a member of the club and you want to represent us, add the following to your signature copy code below and paste in your profile settings

Code:

Code:
[CENTER][URL=http://www.overclock.net/t/1485033/silverstone-sugo-sg08-sg08-lite-owners-club/0_40]:clock: Silverstone Sugo SG08 / SG08-Lite Owners Club :clock:[/URL][/CENTER]
  • Rep+
Reactions: minnus
1 - 20 of 475 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for creating this Captain!

To assist future owners and to keep this information in one place, I had asked a question about using a 140mm modular PSU, the Silverstone ST55F-G, in the SG08. http://www.overclock.net/t/1484342/sg08-question-psu

In short, it does not fit if you intend on using a Full Sized GPU unless you orient the PSU in an unconventional way (thanks Milestailsprowe).
I've taken a picture of the PSU and a GTX 680 as a reference.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnus View Post

To assist future owners and to keep this information in one place, I had asked a question about using a 140mm modular PSU, the Silverstone ST55F-G, in the SG08. http://www.overclock.net/t/1484342/sg08-question-psu

In short, it does not fit if you intend on using a Full Sized GPU unless you orient the PSU in an unconventional way (thanks Milestailsprowe).

Your welcome! I am surprised there never was a club for this case considering its been out for sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybster View Post

Count me in
smile.gif

Watercooled sg08, 280*140 mm radiator + 4*140mm fans.
ST45SF-G PSU installed to allow sandwiched fans on radiator and placing an aquaero fan controller in case.

Full details @ http://www.overclock.net/t/1340601/sg08-watercooled-280-mm-radiator
Will add you. Saw your build log when I was looking at this case months ago, that is awesome what you did there. Would you care to share some more pics of how you put this all together? How is the rad being held up in there? Any pics of the top of the case where you made the cutout for the second fan?

My case should be coming later today from Amazon. I also own the RVZ01 and a few things with using a proper cooler and noise is driving me nuts so I wanted to give the SG08-Lite a chance since I had my eye on it as a potential ITX build before I went with the RVZ01.

Are Noctua's the way to go with in this case if I am going to be using a H60 for cooling the CPU? One of the reviews I read a few days ago, they recommended getting some right angle sata cables, is that true?

Has anyone tried using Demciflex filters for the side panels to prevent from dust getting in?

· Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

Your welcome! I am surprised there never was a club for this case considering its been out for sometime.
Will add you. Saw your build log when I was looking at this case months ago, that is awesome what you did there.

My case should be coming later today from Amazon. I also own the RVZ01 and a few things with using a proper cooler and noise is driving me nuts so I wanted to give the SG08-Lite a chance since I had my eye on it as a potential ITX build before I went with the RVZ01.

Are Noctua's the way to go with in this case if I am going to be using a H60 for cooling the CPU? One of the reviews I read a few days ago, they recommended getting some right angle sata cables, is that true?
I would recommend not watercooling the CPU with commercial CLC's. In the sg08 you have this wonderful 180mm fan pointing down directly on the cpu socket, so why not use it? I started with a noctua nh-l12, which worked *very* well with the 180mm fan just above. With a CLC, you would lose a lot of airflow and it would be noisier for a given cooling capacity.

If you want to be watercooling, only do it to cool the GPU (adding cpu to the loop ofc
wink.gif
)! Usually z77/z87 cpu's let out a max of 100-150 W, while gpu's easily go to 300 W (OC'd 770 / R290 and higher), so the main cooling effort (for a gaming box) should always be centered on the gpu IMO.

I went with the noctua fans for the radiator, due to very limited choices in 140 mm fans. If I were to redo the setup, I would probably use a 240x120 radiator with gentle typhoons..

Good luck CZ!

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

I would recommend not watercooling the CPU with commercial CLC's. In the sg08 you have this wonderful 180mm fan pointing down directly on the cpu socket, so why not use it? I started with a noctua nh-l12, which worked *very* well with the 180mm fan just above. With a CLC, you would lose a lot of airflow and it would be noisier for a given cooling capacity.

If you want to be watercooling, only do it to cool the GPU (adding cpu to the loop ofc
wink.gif
)! Usually z77/z87 cpu's let out a max of 100-150 W, while gpu's easily go to 300 W (OC'd 770 / R290 and higher), so the main cooling effort (for a gaming box) should always be centered on the gpu IMO.

I went with the noctua fans for the radiator, due to very limited choices in 140 mm fans. If I were to redo the setup, I would probably use a 240x120 radiator with gentle typhoons..

Good luck CZ!
The SG08-Lite doesn't come with the 180mm air penetrator fan, it's optional so they could trim the costs on the case.

I've seen several builds here with CLC's and no many complaints. I had tried the Node 304 and that case is also restrictive on the with only one fan in the rear and 2 92mm fans in the front that are very restricted. My temps seemed to be fine. You think the temps here will be very bad?

· Registered
28 Posts
Quote:

The SG08-Lite doesn't come with the 180mm air penetrator fan, it's optional so they could trim the costs on the case.

I've seen several builds here with CLC's and no many complaints. I had tried the Node 304 and that case is also restrictive on the with only one fan in the rear and 2 92mm fans in the front that are very restricted. My temps seemed to be fine. You think the temps here will be very bad?
OK, so that does change the options available. If you want to watercool, I would recommend a 140mm fan+rad combo blowing out the top of the case.

But if you have the mainboard clearance, how about something like the noctua c14? It is 130mm tall with fans and would be the better choice, compared to any clc 120/140 mm system (cooling/dB).

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

OK, so that does change the options available. If you want to watercool, I would recommend a 140mm fan+rad combo blowing out the top of the case.

But if you have the mainboard clearance, how about something like the noctua c14? It is 130mm tall with fans and would be the better choice, compared to any clc 120/140 mm system (cooling/dB).
I ended up placing the H60 in my system with 1 fan right now, the SP120 Quiet as an exhaust It seems to be doing ok so far in terms of keeping the CPU cool. This is one very tight case to work with, even more so than the Node 304 and I thought the RVZ01 was tight to work with but this one takes more planning. I think I need to order the PP05-e cable set since a few cables were a little bit of a pain. I will say that this system is way much quieter than the RVZ01, I barely even hear it. I plan on Sunday to get to Microcenter and get a Noctua fan to really get this thing even more quieter than it is.

Under load, my CPU is at 40 degrees while on idle its around 31-32 degrees. My 770 ACX hit about 42 degrees. This is while playing a bit of Tomb Raider.

I can imagine how much of a tight fit the SG05 is, but probably a fun little case to work with.

After looking at this case and the PSU area, it looks like the Seasonic 550-G might be a perfect fit as all of the modular cables are very low on the PSU.

I'll post some pics of my build here in a few.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

I think the Seasonic G Series 550W and 650W should probably fit in this case. I had a 550W in the Node which but up right to the video card, the nice thing with the Seasonic is that they place the modular cables all the way to the bottom of the PSU and the 24 pin and 8 pin are on non modular. That is another option here. Looking at clearance under the GPU, I think this PSU would work.

· Registered
218 Posts
Quote:

I think the Seasonic G Series 550W and 650W should probably fit in this case. I had a 550W in the Node which but up right to the video card, the nice thing with the Seasonic is that they place the modular cables all the way to the bottom of the PSU and the 24 pin and 8 pin are on non modular. That is another option here. Looking at clearance under the GPU, I think this PSU would work.
Unfortunately that won't work, because the housing of a 160mm deep PSU will physically prevent you from installing graphics card longer than 7.5". Ideally, the best ATX PSUs for SG08 are non-modular 140mm (or shorter) models. If you are looking to use up to 600W of power in the SG08, the original SG08 with its included 600W PSU is still the best choice as the cables are also much shorter than typical ATX PSUs.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:

Flip the PSU and Fan up without the bracket. Its the only way it will fit.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post

Unfortunately that won't work, because the housing of a 160mm deep PSU will physically prevent you from installing graphics card longer than 7.5". Ideally, the best ATX PSUs for SG08 are non-modular 140mm (or shorter) models. If you are looking to use up to 600W of power in the SG08, the original SG08 with its included 600W PSU is still the best choice as the cables are also much shorter than typical ATX PSUs.
Thanks Silverstone for your PM and post here. Is the 600W SFX releasing next month?

I bet the new 500W PSU you guys unveiled this past month might fit here too since its 130mm I think right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestailsprowe View Post

Flip the PSU and Fan up without the bracket. Its the only way it will fit.
I have the 450W SFX PSU which is good, but I was thinking of trying to squeeze a ATX PSU in here. If I bought one of the Silverstone 140mm PSU, taking off the bracket and flipping up the PSU should do the trick you think?

So is the velcro holding everything up ok?

· Registered
146 Posts
I'm still slightly uncomfortable with the idea of flipping the PSU such that it exhausts onto the GPU - but maybe I am over-reacting. I think I will give it a try tonight or tomorrow night. I will ultimately buy an SFX PSU, but with the 600w coming out (soon I hope), I feel silly buying the 450w - especially when my system is borderlining the 450w.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

I'm still slightly uncomfortable with the idea of flipping the PSU such that it exhausts onto the GPU - but maybe I am over-reacting. I think I will give it a try tonight or tomorrow night. I will ultimately buy an SFX PSU, but with the 600w coming out (soon I hope), I feel silly buying the 450w - especially when my system is borderlining the 450w.
I can understand the concern, but it sounds like its not too bad from what Miles is saying from his experience. You can try to take out the bracket for the PSU and just pull the HDD a few inches back, might give you the room you need. Then maybe make a new bracket to hold the PSU in place or use velcro.

I just bought the 450W and I fear the 600W will be out 30 days after I bought this one so I won't be able to exchange it.

1 - 20 of 475 Posts