Overclock.net banner

Silverstone Sugo SG08 / SG08-Lite Owners Club

120806 Views 474 Replies 76 Participants Last post by  worthy.vii
Hello! Welcome to the Silverstone Sugo SG08 / SG08-Lite Case Club @ OCN!! The SG08 case has been around since 2012 while the SG08-Lite released in Feb. 2014 without a dedicated case club here at OCN. Owners of this case are using this as a dedicated HTPC case while others are using it as a gaming rig. If you would like to join the club, post some pics and description of your build.

Introduction:

SG08

To further increase the appeal of the groundbreaking Sugo SG07, SilverStone engineers crafted a follow-up version in the SG08. For the first time in a SilverStone product and likely also the first for Mini-ITX, a 1cm (0.4 inch) thick extruded aluminum was used to adorn the front panel of a chassis. Finished with fine brush surface and anodized, the SG08's front panel rivals the best home theater equipment in quality and style. The award winning and proven features from the SG07 remain such as the Air Penetrator AP181 fan with dual speed switch, easily removable fan filter, positive pressure layout, and the included 80 PLUS Bronze certified 600W power supply. While compact in size at only 14.8 liters, the SG08 is still capable of accepting a healthy selection of full size components. Even the longest consumer graphics cards that are up to 12.2 inches can fit. This extraordinary capacity, along with the cooling power provided by the built-in AP181 fan, makes the SG08, along with SG07, the ultimate Mini-ITX chassis.
  • Thick 10mm aluminum front panel with premium styling
  • Class leading SFF chassis with 180mm fan and positive pressure cooling
  • Ample space for CPU cooling (117mm in height)
  • Elevated standoff for motherboard back side components
  • Support for two 2.5" SSD/hard drives and one 3.5" hard drive
  • Includes 80 PLUS Bronze certified [email protected]℃ PSU with single +12V rail
  • Adjustable VGA fan duct for improved cooling efficiency
  • Removable fan filters included for case fan, PSU, and VGA duct
  • Support graphics cards up to 12.2 inches and 400W

SG08-Lite

For years, SilverStone Sugo series has been the benchmark and the standard for high-performance Mini-ITX chassis. The SG08-LITE was designed to retain all the signature features from the award-winning SG08 such as the compact 14.8-liter design that can accommodate graphic card up to 12.2" and the premium 10mm aluminum front panel where SilverStone engineers have further updated the slim optical slot into slot-loading variety for cleaner styling. Its specially designed fan bracket offers the users flexible cooling options for 180mm fan or 120mm/140mm fan with water-cooling radiator. To keep dust out, all intake vents are equipped with removable filters for easy-cleaning. In contrast with its relatively small size, the SG08-LITE supports standard ATX PSU for greater selections and when used with SilverStone's Strider Gold S series, the smallest full modular power supplies with 80 PLUS Gold in the world, or our carefully engineered SFX PSUs, the SG08-LITE can help you create an incredible Mini-ITX system.
  • Ample space for CPU cooling (147mm in height)
  • Thick 10mm aluminum front panel with premium styling
  • Elevated standoff for motherboard backside components
  • Fan bracket supports 180mm fan or 120mm/140mm fan + water cooling radiator
  • Support for two 2.5" SSD/hard drives
  • Removable fan filters included for case fan and PSU
  • Support graphics cards up to 12.2 inches
Official Website

SG08: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=317&area=en
SG08-Lite: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=484

Recommended Components

Club Rules
1: Add picture(s) of your rig.
2: Please respect other members.

Club Members
Hybster
minnus

Once a member of the club and you want to represent us, add the following to your signature copy code below and paste in your profile settings

Code:

Code:
[CENTER][URL=http://www.overclock.net/t/1485033/silverstone-sugo-sg08-sg08-lite-owners-club/0_40]:clock: Silverstone Sugo SG08 / SG08-Lite Owners Club :clock:[/URL][/CENTER]
  • Rep+
Reactions: minnus
421 - 440 of 475 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
I've just done the measurements, it's about 8.5mm clearance down there, if I buy 20x20x8mm rubber front square feet (ebay) and 30 or 40mm x 17+ mm rear feet, plus I make a mount that goes slightly 'in' the motherboard, I guess I can work with a 15mm fan underneath , maybe.
I'd prefer a thinner fan though, scythe do a 12mm thick fan but it's 120mm (I'd like to keep it under 92)
Darn

· Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullderp View Post

I've just done the measurements, it's about 8.5mm clearance down there, if I buy 20x20x8mm rubber front square feet (ebay) and 30 or 40mm x 17+ mm rear feet, plus I make a mount that goes slightly 'in' the motherboard, I guess I can work with a 15mm fan underneath , maybe.
I'd prefer a thinner fan though, scythe do a 12mm thick fan but it's 120mm (I'd like to keep it under 92)
Darn
Haha tough choices.

Anyway you can just try it without fan first.. if the temps are OK, no extra bottom fan is needed then.

· Registered
102 Posts
Hi All,

Does anyone know a way to make the SG08 massive 140mm (or is it even larger?) big top fan even quieter?
It's kind of not that quiet on lowest settings. I mean it's good but it's still pretty noisy if you're a real silence kind of person. Has anyone managed to quieten it further?

· Registered
361 Posts
Quote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know a way to make the SG08 massive 140mm (or is it even larger?) big top fan even quieter?
It's kind of not that quiet on lowest settings. I mean it's good but it's still pretty noisy if you're a real silence kind of person. Has anyone managed to quieten it further?
If I recall correctly; Silverstone's AP181 (http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=258&area=en) can rotate as low as 600 RPM. Perhaps you can set it even lower using your motherboard's PWM software?

I personally found my AP181 very quiet (mind you, my case sits like 60-80 cm from me).

· Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignsvn View Post

If I recall correctly; Silverstone's AP181 (http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=258&area=en) can rotate as low as 600 RPM. Perhaps you can set it even lower using your motherboard's PWM software?

I personally found my AP181 very quiet (mind you, my case sits like 60-80 cm from me).
Dumb question, is the ap181 the same stock fan or a replacement? We're talking about the same item right?

I'm pretty unhappy with the noise, and my cpu cooler is massive and passive, all cpu chilling is from the fan included 180mm? Surely it's bigger than just 140, right? It's huge.
No GPU, stock 600w psu

· Registered
361 Posts
Quote:

Dumb question, is the ap181 the same stock fan or a replacement? We're talking about the same item right?

I'm pretty unhappy with the noise, and my cpu cooler is massive and passive, all cpu chilling is from the fan included 180mm? Surely it's bigger than just 140, right? It's huge.
No GPU, stock 600w psu
This is SG08 data; http://www.silverstonetek.com/legacy.php?area=en&model=SG08

180mm Air Penetrator (AP) fan, and, if memory serves me right, it's the AP181.

· Registered
102 Posts
Quote:

This is SG08 data; http://www.silverstonetek.com/legacy.php?area=en&model=SG08

180mm Air Penetrator (AP) fan, and, if memory serves me right, it's the AP181.
Thank you!
I don't recall seeing a standard motherboard header on the fan. I THINK mine has a control switch at the back and its hard joined / soldered in, but I'll take a closer look, perhaps I'm wrong and it has a spare cable free.

· Registered
361 Posts
Quote:

Thank you!
I don't recall seeing a standard motherboard header on the fan. I THINK mine has a control switch at the back and its hard joined / soldered in, but I'll take a closer look, perhaps I'm wrong and it has a spare cable free.
Wait.. You are right. The AP181 doesn't have standard mobo header. It's connected to the switch at the back of the case instead.

My bad.. if you see some posts before, you'll notice that I have replaced my AP181 with a smaller 120mm fan with mobo header (the massive size of AP181 blocked my top GPU power plug). Apparently I mixed those in my explanation.

· Registered
102 Posts
Quote:

Wait.. You are right. The AP181 doesn't have standard mobo header. It's connected to the switch at the back of the case instead.

My bad.. if you see some posts before, you'll notice that I have replaced my AP181 with a smaller 120mm fan with mobo header (the massive size of AP181 blocked my top GPU power plug). Apparently I mixed those in my explanation.
Oh well, anyone else figured out a way to quiet it? I can solder, should I add a particular resistor? Any pro modders here?

How do I add the pwm cable otherwise?

· Registered
361 Posts
Quote:

Oh well, anyone else figured out a way to quiet it? I can solder, should I add a particular resistor? Any pro modders here?

How do I add the pwm cable otherwise?
Btw, I personally think that at the lowest setting, AP181 is still very quiet.

You can always get a cheap PWM 120mm or 140mm fan. Plenty of options
smile.gif

· Registered
218 Posts
You can make the AP181 fan in the SG08 spin slower than default "low speed" setting. We have suggestion in AP181 product page's Q&A section. I'll copy it below as well:

AP181 uses industry standard 3pin fan connector, so it will work with most fan controllers, motherboards, and other devices that use voltage regulation to control fan speed.

The starting voltage for AP181 at low speed setting requires about 10.8V, which some fan controllers may not support properly. So when connecting to fan controller, it is best to flip the case's fan speed switch to high setting to enable lower starting voltage. At 5V for example, the fan speed will be at around 500rpm, which is nearly inaudible.

When connecting to motherboard for fan speed control, if AP181 appears to have trouble starting, it may be due to motherboard detecting low temperature and supply too little voltage. To solve this problem, please change the motherboard fan speed or temperature setting from within the motherboard BIOS or flip the case's fan speed switch to high setting.

· Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post

You can make the AP181 fan in the SG08 spin slower than default "low speed" setting. We have suggestion in AP181 product page's Q&A section. I'll copy it below as well:

AP181 uses industry standard 3pin fan connector, so it will work with most fan controllers, motherboards, and other devices that use voltage regulation to control fan speed.

The starting voltage for AP181 at low speed setting requires about 10.8V, which some fan controllers may not support properly. So when connecting to fan controller, it is best to flip the case's fan speed switch to high setting to enable lower starting voltage. At 5V for example, the fan speed will be at around 500rpm, which is nearly inaudible.

When connecting to motherboard for fan speed control, if AP181 appears to have trouble starting, it may be due to motherboard detecting low temperature and supply too little voltage. To solve this problem, please change the motherboard fan speed or temperature setting from within the motherboard BIOS or flip the case's fan speed switch to high setting.
So if I set to high, connect to my board, it won't kill the board trying to pull too much?

· Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post

As far as we know, most motherboards can support 0.5A or more on their fan headers so you are likely going to be fine. If you are not sure, just check with the motherboard manufacturer.
I really appreciate the good support, I'll take a peek at this (I couid have sworn mine didn't ship with a standard 3 plug fan header and just had a molex - my SG08 is at least 18 to 24 months old)
Mind you I haven't been inside there for a good 12 months.

I'll take a crack, thanks.
(I'd gladly just solder a pot on too, in place of the switch)
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pot+voltage+regulation&hl=en&tbm=isch&gws_rd=cr&ei=WwxZWM2PMceF8wXUxr-QAg#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=dial+pot+speed+fan+-marijuana+-recreational

421 - 440 of 475 Posts