Overclock.net banner
7281 - 7288 of 7288 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
bump from the grave from a new tj08 owner.

I had no Idea They were still making this case, and during an upgrade cycle I've ordered a tj08b-e after being pretty let down with the modern direction of cases that have no external bays, only support 0-2 3.5" drives and so forth. It won't get here for a week or more so I cannot directly measure it.

I am a little concerned however that the 180MM fan may not have enough static pressure to push air through a fully populated drive cage, and still have enough force and directional to push through a Passive Heat sink and provide my blower 2070s with enough air.

I looked but could not find if someone had tried replacing the stock AP 181mm fan with a grid of four 92MM fans ?

The Stock AP fan has a max of around 100CFM at "34dba" for what its worth, though I suspect it actually flows less with the filter in place.
4 NF-a9 Fans (4x46CFM) for a total of 184CFM at a "23DBA" seems like it would be a worthy upgrade, and they can be run at 80% PWM for around 140CFM @ "17dba" and still produce more static pressure than the AP181.

Accounting for the rubber pads on the fans this would be about a 185mmx185mm fan arrangement, and would require cutting out the original fan cut out thats mostly circular to prevent it from overlapping the grid of fans, But unsure if it would actually fit in place, or if the AP181 is "wedged in there"

·
Registered
362 Posts
bump from the grave from a new tj08 owner.

I had no Idea They were still making this case, and during an upgrade cycle I've ordered a tj08b-e after being pretty let down with the modern direction of cases that have no external bays, only support 0-2 3.5" drives and so forth. It won't get here for a week or more so I cannot directly measure it.

I am a little concerned however that the 180MM fan may not have enough static pressure to push air through a fully populated drive cage, and still have enough force and directional to push through a Passive Heat sink and provide my blower 2070s with enough air.

I looked but could not find if someone had tried replacing the stock AP 181mm fan with a grid of four 92MM fans ?

The Stock AP fan has a max of around 100CFM at "34dba" for what its worth, though I suspect it actually flows less with the filter in place.
4 NF-a9 Fans (4x46CFM) for a total of 184CFM at a "23DBA" seems like it would be a worthy upgrade, and they can be run at 80% PWM for around 140CFM @ "17dba" and still produce more static pressure than the AP181.

Accounting for the rubber pads on the fans this would be about a 185mmx185mm fan arrangement, and would require cutting out the original fan cut out thats mostly circular to prevent it from overlapping the grid of fans, But unsure if it would actually fit in place, or if the AP181 is "wedged in there"
I don't recall anyone making this change. FYI, this webpage : Adding Decibels has a calculator at the bottom for adding together multiple sound sources.

I know there are mounting holes for a single 140 mm fan, but not for a 2x2 arrangement of 92 mm fans. One other factor is fan thickness: the AP181 is 32 mm thick whereas most 92 mm fans are 25 mm thick. So standard 92 mm fans will fit thickness-wise, but 4 fans will be 4 mm taller and wider.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't recall anyone making this change. FYI, this webpage : Adding Decibels has a calculator at the bottom for adding together multiple sound sources.

I know there are mounting holes for a single 140 mm fan, but not for a 2x2 arrangement of 92 mm fans. One other factor is fan thickness: the AP181 is 32 mm thick whereas most 92 mm fans are 25 mm thick. So standard 92 mm fans will fit thickness-wise, but 4 fans will be 4 mm taller and wider.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.
Thats a pretty helpful tool. Its been many a moon since I had any physics courses that dealt with acoustical power. But that still puts the output at 80% with 4 of those fans as 40% more airflow, at 24dba or so which IIRC 10DBA is a perception of double the increase in volume to the human ear. This could be pretty good (albeit expensive) if I am seeing some thermal issues or noise issues.

Case got shipped out this evening so fairly soon I should be able to see how well this idea would work (or not)

·
Audiophile
77 Posts
After 5 or 6 years owning this case, I do think that this case is my #1 all-time favorite mATX cases (RV02-E for ATX cases and FTZ01 (not the E) for ITX). The combination of quirkiness when building in this case, understated look, somewhat small-ish (size-wise, compared to other mATX, and to some extent, 'huge' ITX), and overall satisfaction when you done working in this case is something truly beautiful to experience with. In fact, I'll still use this case for my next upgrade (after processor and GPU stock came back to normal of course).

If you still use 3.5 inch and 2.5 inch drive in this case, and you have short PSU (mine is 140mm. SFX/-L will be better of course), Icy Dock FLEX-FIT Trio MB343SP should be high on your list. This thing converts 1 (one) 5.25 inch bay to 1 (one) 3.5 inch and 2 (two) 2.5 inch bay. Really handy when your motherboard doesn't come with M.2 slot. I do think that placing your harddrive in GPU support bracket will impede the airflow of that amazing 180mm AP fan. I'm still using it, as my GPU is over 240mm long. It honestly one of the best thoughtful thing in this case imo, alongside that heatsink support, perfectly support my Cryorig H7 well.

However...

I do have some question about the fan. Should I 'upgrade' the fan to AP183 IF my goal is to make it quieter (both in dB and motor noise)?. I read that AP181 use Sleeve Bearing, and AP183 use Double Ball Bearing, and I read that DBB is superior in terms of noise. Can anyone with this case have tried and compare AP181 (stock) vs AP183 in this case?

Thank you for asnwering my question :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a old AP181 a FM181 and a AP183 but from memory the biggest improvement to noise came from hacking out those smaller fan tabs on the TJ08-EW that sat in front of the blades but I will see if I can make the time to compare the fans for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats a pretty helpful tool. Its been many a moon since I had any physics courses that dealt with acoustical power. But that still puts the output at 80% with 4 of those fans as 40% more airflow, at 24dba or so which IIRC 10DBA is a perception of double the increase in volume to the human ear. This could be pretty good (albeit expensive) if I am seeing some thermal issues or noise issues.

Case got shipped out this evening so fairly soon I should be able to see how well this idea would work (or not)
I could not figure out anyway to get 4 nf-a9's to fit in the case due to the extra width. Though its so far looking like I may not need to have them. I moved over my non-raid drives and most of the system and have been running it with temps almost the same as open air.

I do have some question about the fan. Should I 'upgrade' the fan to AP183 IF my goal is to make it quieter (both in dB and motor noise)?. I read that AP181 use Sleeve Bearing, and AP183 use Double Ball Bearing, and I read that DBB is superior in terms of noise. Can anyone with this case have tried and compare AP181 (stock) vs AP183 in this case?

Thank you for asnwering my question :)
Usually speaking, all other things held constant a BB fan is going to be louder than a good journal bearing fan. The BB though is probably going to have a longer life span.

The value to the AP183 is the PWM letting you run it at a lower speed easily compared to the 3pin on the 181 ( which seems to have a pretty high start voltage requirement. "low" on the switch corresponds to about 790 RPM, playing with voltages in bios the lowest I can get the fan is about 700rpm even before it wont start without a push. anything below around 7v or so wont run my 181. Odd coming from 120mm GT's that spin with as little as 3.2ish volts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey first time poster here! I've been looking into SFF cases and stumbled onto the Silverstone TJ08E and I love it's well thought out design that still works in this modern age. Can the Noctua NF A20 fit into the 180mm Air Penetrator's place?

Also I'm looking to buy a TJ08T-E but in Titanium color (not the black that everyone seems to sell so its been a near impossible task). Located in the USA. If anyone is offering there's up for sale I'd love a PM!

·
Audiophile
77 Posts
First of all, thank you all for replying to my question.

Couple weeks ago, I decided to bought Noctua A12x15 to use as an exhaust (it helps lower my GPU temp when running Unigen benchmark compared to no exhaust (about 6 deg. C decrease). One of the accessories that you get in that fan is L.N.A (Low Noise Adapter). I decided to use it for the stock AP181 fan.

To my surprise, the speed selector/switch for that fan is reversed! Up for low RPM (around 600 I think) and down for high RPM (around 900). Even crazier is that, the motor noise is also lower in 900RPM compared to 600RPM (and it obviously move more air. I put my hand above the GPU support bracket to 'feel' the air). This is pretty much no brainer for me, and I don't think I'll need new fan after this (unless that AP181 dies after serving me for so long, probably I'll buy it again).

Thank you :)

7281 - 7288 of 7288 Posts