Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can do sinlge computers, but when it comes to networks I come unstuck...

I have a very simple network in my room, consisting of a laptop and a desktop, both running XP Pro, connected by a 5m crossover cable. My ADSL comes into the laptop and is shared across the network to the desktop. I have no problems with this, the connection is shared fine.

The problem is file sharing. The laptop could never 'see' (or access) the shared documents on the desktop, but the desktop could use the shared documents on the laptop if you follow me. Well, today the desktop decided to stop seeing the laptops shared items at all, all that appears when I go to 'My Network Places' is its own shared documents. The laptop shows nothing in the network places folder, and never has. The internet is still shared fine.

The laptop is using a built in 10/100 LAN card, and the desktop uses the motherboards built in 10/100. Both machines are running XP Pro SP2, and both are using Windows Firewall.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Well for starters its a bad idea to have two machines that you need to talk to eachother behind their own firewalls.

Disable the firewall on your desktop as its behind the firewall of your laptop anyway.

Can you access either machine by doing this from the run box:

\\\\laptopname\\c$
or
\\\\desktopname\\c$

Just to see if you can get on to the other machines c:

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the desktop I did the run thingy, and it prompts for a password

EDIT: same with the laptop...trys to log me on a guest? I can't change that box...and wants a password

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

On the desktop I did the run thingy, and it prompts for a password

Stick your laptops admin password in there.

And if that dont work, any other passwords for accounts set up on your lappy.

EDIT: What username are you logged on as under your desktop? Does your laptop also have this username setup, and if so, do they both have the same password.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Stick your laptops admin password in there.

And if that dont work, any other passwords for accounts set up on your lappy.

no worky

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

See EDIT

There is only 1 account on the laptop...the admin one

EDIT: oooh yes they both running same name, but no password

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

There is only 1 account on the laptop...the admin one

EDIT: Do neither of the Admin accounts have passwords?

EDIT: are they also in the same workgroup (same name)

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

EDIT: Do neither of the Admin accounts have passwords?

EDIT: are they also in the same workgroup (same name)

Righty - both machines have the same users (Alex) and the same password. Is that a silly thing to do? I have it like that because everyone else in the house is computer illiterate, so I have nothing to worry about hiding things

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Righty - both machines have the same users (Alex) and the same password. Is that a silly thing to do? I have it like that because everyone else in the house is computer illiterate, so I have nothing to worry about hiding things

No, thats the best thing to do when you are trying to share stuff between two computers that are not part of a domain.

Are they both in the same workgroup?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

No, thats the best thing to do when you are trying to share stuff between two computers that are not part of a domain.

Are they both in the same workgroup?

yeees...I think so

oh actually, maybe not

confuseds

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
go to my network places and on the left click view workgroup computers. the workgroup will appear in the address bar of the explorer window.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo3

go to my network places and on the left click view workgroup computers. the workgroup will appear in the address bar of the explorer window.

Its going...and they are not in the same group...oops, its almost the same name - I spelt it different on the laptop

On the laptop its "10moor"
On the desktop its "10 moor"

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Its going...and they are not in the same group...oops, its almost the same name - I spelt it different on the laptop

Dumbass. lol

I wouldnt worry, i've set up about 20 computers under the wrong workgroup at work in the past...lol

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
lol, problem solved. instead of trying to rename workgroups i recommend setting up your network from scratch to be sure of settings.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Dumbass. lol

I wouldnt worry, i've set up about 20 computers under the wrong workgroup at work in the past...lol

erm...how do I change it?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Not sure if this si the same on XP...but here is my "im using a crappy win 2k computer" guide:

Right click on My Computer
Click Properties
Click on Tab 'Network identification'
Click Properties Button
Change Workgroup name
OK
Apply
Restart
Done

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Not sure if this si the same on XP...but here is my "im using a crappy win 2k computer" guide:

Right click on My Computer
Click Properties
Click on Tab 'Network identification'
Click Properties Button
Change Workgroup name
OK
Apply
Restart
Done

Restarting now.

Its not the same as XP, but its close enough

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Restarting now.

Its not the same as XP, but its close enough

Yeah, i'll be able to tell you how to do it on XP from memory once we get some XP machines at work and i have to do that on 1,000 of them!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts