Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I nearly have all the parts for my new build, however have just changed my CPU choice from an i7 7820x to the i9 7900X due to me requiring 44 PCI-E lanes instead of just 28... (WHY INTEL????? WHYYYYY!!!???).

I am only planning a modest overclock of around 4.2Ghz on all cores but I don't know if my chosen cooling solution the Corsair H115i is going to cut it anymore. I see reviews online of it passing 90c with AIO water coolers but they were running 4.6Ghz and up.

So I am looking for some help choosing parts for a simple but effective triple rad open loop system to fit in a Corsair 750D airflow edition and cool down the 7900X.

I would say quad rad, however it won't fit in the 750D. But surely a good triple rad set up with big res and a high flow rate pump has to be wayyyy better than an AIO right?

I have only done water cooling once before, 6 or 7 years ago. So am pretty inexperienced you could say.

There is just over 85mm of clearance in the top of the Corsair 750D. So a 60mm rad and a single side of fans?

Thanks
Tom

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, I have just ordered the following:

EK-FB MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON RGB Monoblock - Nickel
EK-CoolStream XE 360
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM
EK-Duraclear Tubing 16/11
6 X EK-ACF Fitting 12/16mm
3 X Phanteks PH-F120SP Static Pressure 120mm Fan

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post

Nevermind, I have just ordered the following:

EK-FB MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON RGB Monoblock - Nickel
EK-CoolStream XE 360
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM
EK-Duraclear Tubing 16/11
6 X EK-ACF Fitting 12/16mm
3 X Phanteks PH-F120SP Static Pressure 120mm Fan
Looks plenty good for a CPU only loop, would probably have chosen a different radiator with those fans though. The EK XE is a really good radiator for mid-high speed fans, for low to mid its not that good. Something like a HWL SR-2 would've been better.

(Edit: Its not bad at all either, just saying its not the best choice.)

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Looks plenty good for a CPU only loop, would probably have chosen a different radiator with those fans though. The EK XE is a really good radiator for mid-high speed fans, for low to mid its not that good. Something like a HWL SR-2 would've been better.

(Edit: Its not bad at all either, just saying its not the best choice.)
Ok then, what fans would be better suited for that radiator? I can order some better ones. I don't mind some noise, but I don't want it to sound like a Tornado! What about EK-Vardar EVO 120ER 2200RPM?

I will connect them to a PWM Powered splitter and use the CPU header to control the speed.

EDIT: Reading up on the EK Vardars, I have ordered 3 of the Vardar EVO 120ER 2200RPM.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:

Ok then, what fans would be better suited for that radiator? I can order some better ones. I don't mind some noise, but I don't want it to sound like a Tornado! What about EK-Vardar EVO 120ER 2200RPM?

I will connect them to a PWM Powered splitter and use the CPU header to control the speed.

EDIT: Reading up on the EK Vardars, I have ordered 3 of the Vardar EVO 120ER 2200RPM.
Vardar 120ER's would be perfect.
thumb.gif

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
Quote:

Hi guys,

So I nearly have all the parts for my new build, however have just changed my CPU choice from an i7 7820x to the i9 7900X due to me requiring 44 PCI-E lanes instead of just 28... (WHY INTEL????? WHYYYYY!!!???).

I am only planning a modest overclock of around 4.2Ghz on all cores but I don't know if my chosen cooling solution the Corsair H115i is going to cut it anymore. I see reviews online of it passing 90c with AIO water coolers but they were running 4.6Ghz and up.

So I am looking for some help choosing parts for a simple but effective triple rad open loop system to fit in a Corsair 750D airflow edition and cool down the 7900X.

I would say quad rad, however it won't fit in the 750D. But surely a good triple rad set up with big res and a high flow rate pump has to be wayyyy better than an AIO right?

I have only done water cooling once before, 6 or 7 years ago. So am pretty inexperienced you could say.

There is just over 85mm of clearance in the top of the Corsair 750D. So a 60mm rad and a single side of fans?

Thanks
Tom
Why didn't you get the TR...
biggrin.gif

60 lanes on all of them for addin cards.

All the Intel CPUs will hit 90C+ even stock on any cooling that isn't subzero. Thanks to the toothpaste interface material. Just run linpack and let it burn.

Have fun doing a delid on $1k CPU because Intel can't be bothered about cooling so they make it worse and worse.
  1. delid
  2. beefy VRMs, well cooled
  3. beefy cooling
Skip one of those and you get throttling.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

biggrin.gif

All the Intel CPUs will hit 90C+ even stock on any cooling that isn't subzero. Thanks to the toothpaste interface material. Just run linpack and let it burn.

Have fun doing a delid on $1k CPU because Intel can't be bothered about cooling so they make it worse and worse.
  1. delid
  3. beefy cooling
I didn't get TR because intel out performs AMD and has done for 10 years. Clock for clock there is always a clear winner. I've always used intel and have no intention of swapping over to AMD.

And as for temps going 90+ even at stock speeds, well yes with bad cooling. But according to all the overclocking reviews I have read, it can be tamed.

·
Old
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

biggrin.gif

1. delid
  3. beefy cooling
Yeah.. Skylake-X cpus are only made for heavy benching 24/7 and torture testing
rolleyes.gif

My cheap-o non-delid 6 core has no problems with temps in gaming/rendering @ 4.75ghz 1.245v. VRM temps have been up to 65c in benching/gaming.. below 60c usually.

4.2ghz oc should be archieved with pretty low voltage.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrapello View Post

Yeah.. Skylake-X cpus are only made for heavy benching 24/7 and torture testing
rolleyes.gif

My cheap-o non-delid 6 core has no problems with temps in gaming/rendering @ 4.75ghz 1.245v. VRM temps have been up to 65c in benching/gaming.. below 60c usually.

4.2ghz oc should be archieved with pretty low voltage.
All im gunning for is 4.2Ghz on all cores anyway :)

If I have temp problems then I guess I will be joining the de-lidding club.
thumb.gif

·
Old
422 Posts
Quote:

All im gunning for is 4.2Ghz on all cores anyway :)

If I have temp problems then I guess I will be joining the de-lidding club.
thumb.gif
Depends on what you consider as a temp problem
wink.gif

I doubt that you won't have any temp problems. My 7800x runs at low 60c's while gaming for few hours, so it's good enough for me without delidding.
Maybe I'll delid someday if I want to oc my cpu to 4.9ghz.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Depends on what you consider as a temp problem
wink.gif

I doubt that you won't have any temp problems. My 7800x runs at low 60c's while gaming for few hours, so it's good enough for me without delidding.
Maybe I'll delid someday if I want to oc my cpu to 4.9ghz.
Based on reviews like this:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1437-overclocking-core-i9/

With a good watercooling set up like I have ordered, I shoudn't need to de lid. Especially since I don't plan on running 4.6Ghz+.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The_Rocker, You are perfect buddy.
thumb.gif

I'm running my i9 7900x at 4,4ghz with two cores turboing to 4.6ghz temps hover around high 50s low 60s. Im using an EK predator 280mm push pull.

Idle temps, have gone to 24c before.

Ambient temp is 25-30c where I live.

Haven't had any issues with temps while working/gaming under load. Vrms included.

My chip is not de-lidded either.

That's my experience.

Enjoy it and have fun, gonna be a beast!
thumb.gif

·
Old
422 Posts
Quote:

Based on reviews like this:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1437-overclocking-core-i9/

With a good watercooling set up like I have ordered, I shoudn't need to de lid. Especially since I don't plan on running 4.6Ghz+.
Yea I'm sure your new cooling will be fine to 4.5ghz without delidding in normal use.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1632870/skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-combined-discussion <- check out this thread if you already haven't.. it has ton of pictures with data about different cpus, cooling and voltages.

Also, are you familiar with this "Phantom Throttling" these cpus have? Need to rise limits in bios to avoid it..

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Yea I'm sure your new cooling will be fine to 4.5ghz without delidding in normal use.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1632870/skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-combined-discussion <- check out this thread if you already haven't.. it has ton of pictures with data about different cpus, cooling and voltages.

Also, are you familiar with this "Phantom Throttling" these cpus have? Need to rise limits in bios to avoid it..
Im not aware of phantom throttling issues no?

What limits are you talking about?

I am aware of the AVX offset potentially stepping in causing throttling.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGERRIES View Post

The_Rocker, You are perfect buddy.
thumb.gif

I'm running my i9 7900x at 4,4ghz with two cores turboing to 4.6ghz temps hover around high 50s low 60s. Im using an EK predator 280mm push pull.

Idle temps, have gone to 24c before.

Ambient temp is 25-30c where I live.

Haven't had any issues with temps while working/gaming under load. Vrms included.

My chip is not de-lidded either.

That's my experience.

Enjoy it and have fun, gonna be a beast!
thumb.gif
Awesome, so you're running all all core 4.4Ghz all the time and have turbo on top? Can I ask what your Turbo configuration in the BIOS/UEFI is? The many different types of turbo these days has me confused :-/

Thanks!

·
Old
422 Posts
Quote:

Awesome, so you're running all all core 4.4Ghz all the time and have turbo on top? Can I ask what your Turbo configuration in the BIOS/UEFI is? The many different types of turbo these days has me confused :-/

Thanks!
There's a Per Core Overclocking option in Bios. You can set different multiplier and voltage for every core. In multithreaded applications I think every core run at 4.4ghz in his case, but in 1 or 2 core applications those 2 cores boost to 4.6ghz. Atleast when I ran Realbench with 2 cores set to 48x and 4 cores set to 47x, every core ran at 47x under stress since it's using whole cpu for the task.

When I started overclocking my 6-core, I just used "sync all cores"-options and adaptive voltage.. I needed 1.295v to get my 4.7ghz stable that way.. then I started stress testing and noticed that some cores were getting way lower voltage somehow.. some were at 1.295v and some were way lower causing instability.

By using Per Core Overclock and set adaptive voltage individually to every core at 1.245v, under stress test now all cores are actually using the same voltage and got it stable with less heat.

Cache/Mesh overclocking seem to lower ram latency and boost cache speeds pretty nice. I'm running mine at 3200mhz atm. From what I've read 31-33x seem to be normal limit until you hit the wall. It makes things a little bit hotter, but not that much imo that it wouldn't be worth it
thumb.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts