Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can see there seem to be a belief you should buy Samsung B-die kit if you want to OC your RAM. I don't really understand it! Memory kits are binned which means they test them for a given speed. Not all modules are created equal so two modules from the same production line can end up in completely different kits one 2400 CL14, the other 3000MHZ CL15 for example. Basically what it means is you shouldn't expect your B-die 3200 Cl14 kit to become 3600 Cl14 kit because if it was possible then most likely it would be sold as 3600MHz Cl14. From what I read though they don't test all modules for the maximum speed and therefore some of the faster modules end up in slower kits. There is no reason to think it happens more often with B-die based kits than it happens with kits based on hynix or any other die (and if there is some I've never seen it and I saw tons of comments recommending B-die). In other words if your goal is the highest performance gain expressed in% there doesn;t seem to be reason to buy b-die over hynix.

I think the misconception may be a result of recent Ryzen memory controller issues which indeed made it look as if B-die was amazingly better than Hynix but this has to be considered a sort bug not the normal state of affairs.

·
Registered
514 Posts
they scale better with increased vdimm than any other chip
as far as i know they are the only chip used on high speed kits that don't have extremely lose timings
lots of 3200c16 kits using other chips cant reach 3200c14 or 3400c16 as they just don't scale with extra vdimm

my 3200c14 kit managed 3866c16 1.435v or 4000c17 at which point the 6700k memory controller was at its limits

they are binned so not all kits will oc as well as mine but with some extra v most will get close or surpass them with a newer memory controller like coffelake
if you were to buy a 3600c15 1.35v kit for example this is probably the best binning you can get before prices skyrocket vs 3000c14 which would be about the lowest bin for b die

1 - 2 of 2 Posts