Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 7950 for about a year now, and I'm so disappointed with my purchase. Stutter issues plague every single game I try to play, and I must have tried everything to fix the issue. Vsync sorts the microstutter out, but the main problem I have is that there seems to be a severe vsync bug with the card... In every game that I enable vsync I can literally run around in circles for 30 seconds with ultra smooth FPS, but then it will start 'skipping' for 10 seconds before returning back to smooth fps again. The problem also appears in Diablo 3 and FFXIV when vsync ISN'T enabled, which leads these games to be unplayable for me.

I have tried so many things - including formatting the PC. I have tried every combination of d3dOverrider setting / radeonPro setting / using stock overclock settings for gpu + cpu / disabling desktop composition in windows 7 (which introduces massive tearing issues) and none of it works. I already have powerplay disabled on the card because of amd's horrendous implementation with GPU accelleration that locks clocks low, so my clocks are constantly at max (so the 'tahiti downclock upclock syndrome' isn't an issue here). The processor I have is an i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz.

FRAFS graph for reference:
Vsync off: http://i.imgur.com/UeFqYlO.png (Time) http://i.imgur.com/eiePVEJ.png (FPS)
Vsync on: http://i.imgur.com/2tTyHHb.png (Time) http://i.imgur.com/GanIY6r.png (FPS)

During the recording of the no vsync benchmark the FPS was going from stuttery to smooth, but afterburner was reporting ~120fps. The frame latency is low, but the fps graph seems to be constantly jumping between 160 and 140fps, so I'm not sure if that's part of the issue.

If I can get vsync working properly I will be happy, since it eliminates most of the microstutter issue. But even with vsync on games are still stuttering every 30 seconds or so. I just can't stand it any more...nothing is going on to suggest why this is happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, that hasn't been updated in years. I'm on windows 7 SP1 64bit, 8gb of ram, 128gb SSD (OS), 1TB HD (that the games are installed on). Graphics card 7950, i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz, Sabertooth Z77 mobo, 600w OCZ PSU. Everything's cool temps wise - cpu is water cooled and the gpu takes 3 slots because of the massive Asus fans. Nothing goes over 60*C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

When trying the different drivers have you used display uninstaller?
Yes, I boot into safe mode and use DDU (latest version). I unplug my ethernet cable so windows doesn't update and I install nothing but the display driver from the catalyst install manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

do you mind running a synthetic bench, specifically 3DMark11.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8130544

As far as I can tell that score is completely normal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
What 7950 do you have? If it is a black and red, it could be thermal throttling, also what are your temps like while gaming?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCOC View Post

What 7950 do you have? If it is a black and red, it could be thermal throttling, also what are your temps like while gaming?
It's the asus direct cu 2...plenty of airflow. Temps never over 50*C, and the power setting is on 20%.
 

·
Twitch Streamer
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
Have you checked to see if maybe your hard drive is the cause of the stutters? bad sectors and crap can cause a lot of things.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,755 Posts
Blizzard engines, specifically sc2 and >maybe< diablo 3 have massive issues in these regards, i'm not sure about FF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonespwns View Post

Have you checked to see if maybe your hard drive is the cause of the stutters? bad sectors and crap can cause a lot of things.
I've formatted a few times, and i'm on an ssd
frown.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roksonixx View Post

Yes, I boot into safe mode and use DDU (latest version). I unplug my ethernet cable so windows doesn't update and I install nothing but the display driver from the catalyst install manager.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8130544

As far as I can tell that score is completely normal?
yes, that score does look normal. 50C on the core at load? what about the VRM temps (1 &2)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

yes, that score does look normal. 50C on the core at load? what about the VRM temps (1 &2)?
Mid 40's...cooling is of no issue in the computer at all. CPU has a closed loop water cooler on it, never goes beyond 55 during normal use (fans on low), and the graphics card takes up 3 slots because asus have put the biggest cooler I've ever seen on it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roksonixx View Post

Mid 40's...cooling is of no issue in the computer at all. CPU has a closed loop water cooler on it, never goes beyond 55 during normal use (fans on low), and the graphics card takes up 3 slots because asus have put the biggest cooler I've ever seen on it.
you see the window? throw it out/

just kidding.

have you tried another monitor cable?
 

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
Joined
·
6,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

have you tried another monitor cable?
Following this question, have you tried other ports of the GPU? Also, other PCI-E slots?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

you see the window? throw it out/

just kidding.

have you tried another monitor cable?
At the minute it's on a DVI -> VGA cable, but I have tried HDMI in the past and it didn't really do anything
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top