Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen benchmarks directly comparing a single SSD drive to some regular HDD in a Raid0?? I am about to build a new computer and I actually already ordered 2 Samsung SpinPoint F3's to put in a Raid0. Then yesterday I read another article showing some impressive SSD benchmarks on TomsHardware and it got me thinking maybe I should do a small/fast SSD for the OS and everyyything else on the 2xHDD Raid0. THEN I thought for the same price of adding the SSD I could just make it a 4xHDD Raid0... anyone know which is better.

The main thing I was impressed about with the SSD was the boot time on Windows, is that just as good in a good raid setup?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Not even a RAID setup can compare to an SSD.It will get owned pretty easily

SSD are vastly superior in speed (Uncompressed , Compressed) data,access times, Drive Lognevity,power consumption etc etc

The Only Problem with SSD nowdays is the Storage capacity,however you can solve that by using the SSD as a boot drive and setting up the HDD RAID for the bigger storage.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So even if I had FOUR Samsung Spinpoint F3's in Raid0 it really wouldn't be any better than a good SSD??? Wow.. well I like the Idea of having a small 64gb SSD for my OS and then all but maybe one or two games on the 2xRaid0. Thats what I'll probably go with then!

Can someone give me any good suggestions on the best performance/value SSD out right now?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts