Overclock.net banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This thread was extremely informative and I'm certain will be useful reference for many people to come. I'd still like to see some Cross flow radiators' performance compared to their dual pass counterparts some day to get a clearer image of actually how much this affects the cooling performance. For now I'm going with a dual pass rad just in case. Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleyef View Post

I too have been wondering about this. Has anyone done a comparison of the black ice vs it's cross-flow counterpart?
I was searching around for around an hour or so and found nothing. I wish I had the $200 for one of each and some high static pressure fans like the B-Gears to do some testing, but I can assure you if I had $200 to spend it wouldn't be on that XD too much other things that require immediate attention.

if you find anything let us know!

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizodge View Post

This thread was extremely informative and I'm certain will be useful reference for many people to come. I'd still like to see some Cross flow radiators' performance compared to their dual pass counterparts some day to get a clearer image of actually how much this affects the cooling performance. For now I'm going with a dual pass rad just in case. Thanks for all your help.
There was 5 watts difference out of 175 watts between two rads, identical except for one being X flow the other dual pass.

Pump settings and fan choice can make a much bigger difference than that.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

There was 5 watts difference out of 175 watts between two rads, identical except for one being X flow the other dual pass.

Pump settings and fan choice can make a much bigger difference than that.
Well that answers our question!

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleyef View Post

I'm under the impression that those numbers are 6-8 years old. My question is whether anything has changed with the technical advances achieved in that time frame.
... It wouldn't matter how old those comparisons are, it's still the same radiator.

Their heat dissipated was nearly identical, and the X-Flow variant had less restriction.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Just to throw a bit of a monkey wrench in it for some of you ... the Black Ice GTX series flow is different from other "Dual Pass" rads in that their passes are along the front and back of the radiator ... not the sides.
Quote:
Two-pass pre-cool/aftercool front-rear dual-core flow configuration with a 30% increase in internal flow rates.
This is a blueprint I painted up some years back to help illustrate it.

I've had this discussion with Martin as well ... the orientation of the rad can make a difference in this case ... since first pass water would be carrying its heat-load to the second pass via the air flow. Fans need to be oriented so the first pass is to the back and the second is to the front, so the fresh "cooler" air would be contacting the second pass "cooler" water.
thumb.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: hizodge

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoe View Post

Just to throw a bit of a monkey wrench in it for some of you ... the Black Ice GTX series flow is different from other "Dual Pass" rads in that their passes are along the front and back of the radiator ... not the sides.

I've had this discussion with Martin as well ... the orientation of the rad can make a difference in this case ... since first pass water would be carrying its heat-load to the second pass via the air flow. Fans need to be oriented so the first pass is to the back and the second is to the front, so the fresh "cooler" air would be contacting the second pass "cooler" water.
thumb.gif
Now that is something I didn't know! This is good information to know
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
first: sorry for the minor necro

I have a build in mind where the use of a x-flow rad would simplify loop routing a lot (not to say looks
biggrin.gif
)

I fully expect performance of the GTS x-flow to be a handfull of % points below the "regular" GTS; but it wouldn't matter that much for this build as it is not its goal to get within 0.5 °C ambient
smile.gif

Nevertheless, it would be nice to see some data, provided by someone who has a proven track record of doing & providing consistent tests & results...

So, if Martin is willing to do the tests, i'm willing to spring the money for a GTS 360 and its x-flow counterpart

·
Registered
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRollie View Post

So, if Martin is willing to do the tests, i'm willing to spring the money for a GTS 360 and its x-flow counterpart
As someone who is very interested in the feedback with regards to the 2 types of rad, allow me to say thanks for being willing to provide the funds to helps us get further information on this issue
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJoe View Post

Im confused, if the radiator flow passes acros the back and front, then wouldn't the water inlet and outlet need to be on oposite sides of the radiator (back and front as well)?

but the GTX radiator has the outlets on the same side in this pic below, and if its split the way you say, how can it possibly have the outlets on the same side?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkorky View Post

As someone who is very interested in the feedback with regards to the 2 types of rad, allow me to say thanks for being willing to provide the funds to helps us get further information on this issue
thumb.gif
Big necro but there is some good info here at least as far as slim rads go. Very slight differences.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2016/11/26/alphacool-st30-x-flow-360mm-radiator-review/5/

Also, I think Daz is a crazy Russian rather than German. Could be wrong though.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.