Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
What games are you playing? What are your expectations for each game? A single 7970 would work, but not to max out all games.

·
PC Evangelist
47,496 Posts
Good purchase as long as you stay with it for 1-2 year yes. If i had the money i would do it
biggrin.gif

Edit: You will not be able to Max games @ 1080p. If you play to lower setting might as well get a HD 7970 + WaterBlock and save a ton of money. Titan is only if you want every last frame.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
A titan won't max out every game at 1440p and maintain 60fps, but if you are willing to turn down settings in a few of the most demanding games it'll be fine.

I was not happy with a single 680 at 1440p if that helps, but it was almost acceptable.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to get the best performance possible with a single graphics card, I don't want to buy two water blocks or have to deal with with sli/crossfire drivers.

I hear that the titan is very oc able under water so i should get a nice performance boost compared to most benchmark reviews of it.

·
PC Evangelist
47,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicwutudidthar View Post

I want to get the best performance possible with a single graphics card, I don't want to buy two water blocks or have to deal with with sli/crossfire drivers.

I hear that the titan is very oc able under water so i should get a nice performance boost compared to most benchmark reviews of it.
By all means get it. Also probably best idea and see what other people get under water with the card.

·
PC Evangelist
47,496 Posts
Quote:

is the monitor overclocking also only with the titan? or will it be integrated into all nvidia card drivers?
You could always OC the monitor. Not is just Nvidia let you. Is not Titan exclusive but could be via drivers.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I have a single GTX690 which easily maxes out all games and i haven't even overclocked my card, lowest ive seen my frames hit was 75fps in crysis 3

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Yeah I'd say a 690 or 7990 would be better. The Ares II almost seems cost effective too, if you don't need a whole loop.

I think the huge performance advantage of dual GPU cards far outweighs the benefit of Titan, while being nearly the same price.

It's worth mentioning that Titan has turned out to be worse at higher resolutions than dual card setups. It's hard to recommend it for your situation.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

Yeah I'd say a 690 or 7990 would be better. The Ares II almost seems cost effective too, if you don't need a whole loop.
Ares II is such a ripoff and has that stupid cooler on it....

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
It may be worth mentioning the rest of your rig as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:

Right now, the best performing single card and not having to deal with SLI/Crossfire drivers are two separate things. There's A LOT of Titan reviews (a thread in the Hardware News forum has a list of them), but to various degrees, the GTX690 is faster than a single Titan.as all resolutions. So it until the new s7790 is launched at least, the GTX690 is still the fastest single card, BUT you will have to deal with SLI drivers. While it's certainly possible the gap might narrow with later driver,s I have some serious doubts that it will come close to closing.

For the fastest single GPU card (thus no SLI/Crossfire drivers), without question the Titan is the best. In terms of OC, I think 1200MHz under water is a reasonable goal, but anything much higher could be tough. Boost 2.0 does use temperature as the limiter for boost clocks so water cooling will help OC considerably. However, as I understand it, while the voltage may be "unlocked", in reality there's very little extra to add before other voltage limiters take effect unless OEMs specifically make adjustments to their particular models. The other thing to keep in mind is that Titan OCs varied quite a bit between reviewers. Some reviewers go well over 1150Mhz boost clock on air, while at least one barely made past 1000MHz..

FWIW, I'm sure EVGA will release a version of the Titan with a waterblock already installed if you wait long enough. Besides, unless you have one already lined up, you'll probably need to wait anyway. NewEgg & EVGA are sold out (not sure if you can buy from Asus directly in the US), and NewEgg is showling March 21 as estimated date for new Asus Titan stock to arrive. LOL, maybe we'll have some new rumors about the GTX780 by then.

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I just switched to a 690 form my 680 to run my new 1440P monitor. You can overclock any monitor with any of Nividias high end 6xx series cards and, of course the titan.

if someone wanted to trade a titan for my 690 i wouldnt do it...

plus i got my 690 for $650 off craigslist...
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have 2 680's and a 2560x1440 monitor....BF3 with everything maxed will nearly max out both cards, and 2 680s is significantly (> 20%) more powerful than a Titan.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr/owned View Post

I have 2 680's and a 2560x1440 monitor....BF3 with everything maxed will nearly max out both cards, and 2 680s is significantly (> 20%) more powerful than a Titan.
?? my gtx690 maxes bf3 with ease at 1440p and two 680s are better then a single 690

1 - 18 of 18 Posts