Overclock.net banner

Site Performance, what is it like for you ?

• It is fine, same speed as other sites I use

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • It could be better, slower than other sites I use ALL THE TIME

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • It could be better, slower than other sites I use SOME OF THE TIME

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • Terrible, much slower than other sites I use.

Votes: 31 27.2%
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Senioritis Member
8,396 Posts
You're in luck then: In Brave's Menu, Select View > Toggle Developer Tools. They're the same tools found in Chrome (Brave is a Chromium-based browser):

View attachment 221708

IE 11 includes dev tools as well, but Microsoft stopped supporting everything but security updates in it with the advent of Edge (security updates will also eventually come to an end):

Source.
No, I'm not in luck. You are referring to the total remake of Brave that is based off of Chromium. It is still under development and only betas are available; there are no stable copies yet and the betas have been buggier than a flophouse bed. The original version also has been having problems. Every new update to fix a problem makes it a bit slower and occasionally introduces a new bug (such as refusing to open on the same monitor every time). When I first started using it, it was extremely fast and problem free but, shortly after I started using it, it started losing its edge with each update (and updates were weekly or more often) and some bugs started creeping in. I finally got fed up and blocked the updates and I'm now in a holding pattern, hoping they will come through on their promises of getting things fixed since Brave does have a lot of features I like.

Even if I used Chrome itself (I avoid Google like the plague due to privacy concerns) or Firefox, you have only show a screen shot, not how to get there. Same for Kyle; he asks for proof but doesn't tell us how to provide it. Frankly, he has yet to impress me with his ability to do anything other than to make excuses and broken promises. That was the whole purpose of my post since, despite the valiant efforts of Enterprise to try to get VS to fix things here, I've lost all hope of OCN ever being anything more than a mere shadow of its former glory. My dramatically reduced activity here reflects that (not to mention overall activity is also down). I'm far more active on LTT now. It's not a great site compared to the old OCN and has its own problems (such as allowing far too much profanity) but it's far better than the farce this site has become.

·
Linux Noob
1,182 Posts
No, I'm not in luck. You are referring to the total remake of Brave that is based off of Chromium. It is still under development and only betas are available; there are no stable copies yet and the betas have been buggier than a flophouse bed. The original version also has been having problems. Every new update to fix a problem makes it a bit slower and occasionally introduces a new bug (such as refusing to open on the same monitor every time). When I first started using it, it was extremely fast and problem free but, shortly after I started using it, it started losing its edge with each update (and updates were weekly or more often) and some bugs started creeping in. I finally got fed up and blocked the updates and I'm now in a holding pattern, hoping they will come through on their promises of getting things fixed since Brave does have a lot of features I like.

Even if I used Chrome itself (I avoid Google like the plague due to privacy concerns) or Firefox, you have only show a screen shot, not how to get there. Same for Kyle; he asks for proof but doesn't tell us how to provide it. Frankly, he has yet to impress me with his ability to do anything other than to make excuses and broken promises. That was the whole purpose of my post since, despite the valiant efforts of Enterprise to try to get VS to fix things here, I've lost all hope of OCN ever being anything more than a mere shadow of its former glory. My dramatically reduced activity here reflects that (not to mention overall activity is also down). I'm far more active on LTT now. It's not a great site compared to the old OCN and has its own problems (such as allowing far too much profanity) but it's far better than the farce this site has become.
Pray tell, what is this 'LTT' of which ye speak?

·
Senioritis Member
8,396 Posts
Linus Tech Tips forums (https://linustechtips.com/main/--the link button is broken).

Btw, "ye" is the plural form of "you" in Early Modern English. The singular form is "thou" and the usage would be "of which thou doest speake" (I worked Renaissance Festivals for several years). ;)

·
Still here...
5,038 Posts
About Firefox's dev tools: I probably should have stated that it's not so much a matter of ease of use regarding them when compared to those available via Chrome, but more so the difference in breadth of toolset between them. Anyway, my responses follow, in order of relevance/importance:

In this instance, Linus Tech Tips is being referred to.

You have an odd sense of humor, lol.. but am now repeating myself. I think anyway. We haven't discussed Kantian perception, have we.
Very perplexing really, and most of all fluid, so many directions you see. I do hate fluidity, a man must above all be stable.

Now i'm exasperated.
If you have not a better reply to offer regarding my enquiry, i will gut a fish, read its entrails and medicate further. The new cactus variety is just positively wondrous i swear.

Better gear up to gut a fish, read its entrails and medicate further then. While there are sites that approach the problem in an overly general fashion for luddites (e.g., Why Is My Website Running Slow? (How To Fix A Slow Site) - Pickaweb), there are no better tools than those similar to what I've mentioned. Combined with utilities like Ping, Traceroute, etc., they get the job done.

While I understand your frustration and the reasons for your complaints, you know what they say about not being part of the solution. I'm not privy to the dev team here myself other than by way of the same avenues you and the others are, so my hands are tied to a certain degree as well, so-to-speak. I do try to help where I can though.

Btw, I'm fully aware of the different versions of Brave that are available. They're all betas, including the one I'm using for troubleshooting purposes. That said, it does generally load pages from this site in under 5 seconds, beating Chrome (including the site's feature-laden home page).

Guys,

Please help Kyle to diagnose the issue. We really need to see where OCN is lagging. Saying ''It is lagging using *Insert Browser Name* is not going to be enough to accurately diagnose the issue which I also beleive to be location specific as well depending on your location across the globe.

In any case, please see above the suggestions by Iamjanco, Ideally we need people to use Browser dev tools to show us where the site is hanging and why. Failing that, if the site does stall, at the bottom of the page you will see what elements of OCN are being loaded, as mentioned you will sometimes see ''Waiting for *Insert Domain*'', this will also help us see what is causing site load issues as well.

Any specifics will help. Please remain including the browser type and version you are using, but please also try and be as specific as possible as to what is causing the hang as described above.

Thanks,
E
Saw your pm and will see what I can do when I can find time.

·
Linux Noob
1,182 Posts
Linus Tech Tips forums (https://linustechtips.com/main/--the link button is broken).

Btw, "ye" is the plural form of "you" in Early Modern English. The singular form is "thou" and the usage would be "of which thou doest speake" (I worked Renaissance Festivals for several years). ;)
Thanks.

Heh.
It's not "of which thou doth 'speaketh'?"

·
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)
777 Posts
USA
24/7
Chrome Beta, Chrome, Safari, Edge, Chrome ios

From clicking on a link to the time the next page load starts is slow; the actual downloading of the assets/content is fast.

Also on mobile every link required double tapping, super annoying.

·
Senioritis Member
8,396 Posts

·
Administrator
64,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
About Firefox's dev tools: I probably should have stated that it's not so much a matter of ease of use regarding them when compared to those available via Chrome, but more so the difference in breadth of toolset between them. Anyway, my responses follow, in order of relevance/importance:

In this instance, Linus Tech Tips is being referred to.

Better gear up to gut a fish, read its entrails and medicate further then. While there are sites that approach the problem from an overly generation fashion for luddites (e.g., Why Is My Website Running Slow? (How To Fix A Slow Site) - Pickaweb), there are no better tools than those similar to what I've mentioned. Combined with utilities like Ping, Traceroute, etc., they get the job done.

While I understand your frustration and the reasons for your complaints, you know what they say about not being part of the solution. I'm not privy to the dev team here myself other than by way of the same avenues you and the others are, so my hands are tied to a certain degree as well, so-to-speak. I do try to help where I can though.

Btw, I'm fully aware of the different versions of Brave that are available. They're all betas, including the one I'm using for troubleshooting purposes. That said, it does generally load pages from this site in under 5 seconds, beating Chrome (including the site's feature-laden home page).

Saw your pm and will see what I can do when I can find time.

Cheers bud!

·
Still here...
5,038 Posts
The following is by no means a comprehensive test/review; though I will state that the first of the network passes captured below (1. Chrome - logged out, adblockers, nocoin, stylish disabled) is telling (gets/posts go on forever). Asynchronous or not, there's just way too much collective/dynamic garbage (e.g., can you say Taboola?) being loaded over a longer period of time here, some of which may be interfering with the forum scripts used to post, edit, upload images, etc.).

That will vary from user to user of course (because of different browsers, configurations, enabled blockers, platforms, locations, etc.).

Anyway, quick results follow:

Ping overclock.net:

Traceroute testing to OCN's web host looks good from my location as well as from other servers (one sample follows).

1. Chrome - logged out, adblockers, nocoin, stylish disabled:

2. Chrome - logged in, adblockers, nocoin, stylish disabled:

3. Chrome - logged in, blockers on, stylish disabled:

·
Still here...
5,038 Posts
This information should be a little more helpful to the devs at VS. Happens fairly frequently when I click on links in threads or links from the main page to threads (didn't try anything else):

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,657 Posts
USA mid-west

mid-morning
Firefox Quantum ver.62.0.3(64bit)
ABP enabled in first small pic,

ABP DISABLED in second LARGER pic

load times 2.76s with ABP enabled vs load time of 49.06s with it Disabled. The long loading section is in the second pic. Edit: BTW, I always click a saved link to a thread from my tool bar & it takes me there already logged in.Don't know if that would make any difference.
As a reference, here's my yahoo home page loaded with ABP enabled logged in so mail loads also,ect. (I have lots of mail,lol) vids,& scrolling news.

Attachments

·
Senioritis Member
8,396 Posts
...While I understand your frustration and the reasons for your complaints, you know what they say about not being part of the solution. I'm not privy to the dev team here myself other than by way of the same avenues you and the others are, so my hands are tied to a certain degree as well, so-to-speak. I do try to help where I can though...
No, I don't think you do understand. Kyle asked for our help but never told us how to help (typical of the useless responses I seen and now expect from him). When I asked how, people said pics but never said what pics or how to get them. When I asked again, people showed examples of pics but not how to get them. When I asked how again, I was told to use development tools but, with one exception (for a browser I will never, ever use), wasn't told how to use access them or use them. That, along with how this site is becoming slower and slower (unlike all other sites I use) and the agonizingly slow pace the fixes are coming in (usually after a few pathetic attempts that are total fails) is why I'm frustrated.

VS has made it excruciatingly clear to most of us that they don't give the north end of south bound furry little rodent about this site other than to milk it for all they can (I started to say for all it's worth but that isn't much anymore). I'm now seeing Kyle's request for help as being nothing but another one of his pathetic excuses for VS' apathy and their developers' incompetence.

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,657 Posts
No, I don't think you do understand. Kyle asked for our help but never told us how to help (typical of the useless responses I seen and now expect from him). When I asked how, people said pics but never said what pics or how to get them. When I asked again, people showed examples of pics but not how to get them. When I asked how again, I was told to use development tools but, with one exception (for a browser I will never, ever use), wasn't told how to use access them or use them. That, along with how this site is becoming slower and slower (unlike all other sites I use) and the agonizingly slow pace the fixes are coming in (usually after a few pathetic attempts that are total fails) is why I'm frustrated.

VS has made it excruciatingly clear to most of us that they don't give the north end of south bound furry little rodent about this site other than to milk it for all they can (I started to say for all it's worth but that isn't much anymore). I'm now seeing Kyle's request for help as being nothing but another one of his pathetic excuses for VS' apathy and their developers' incompetence.

Here's instructions for the tool I used in FireFox. In firefox, click open menu,web developer,internet. (Or hold Ctrl + Shift + E) And the tool I used will open @ the bottom of your page.(I expanded(stretched) it upwards to be able to see more @ once. After using the tool, I took a screenshot,saved it,and closed it. Then I disabled the blocker I use,opened the tool again,and refreshed the page.

·
Senioritis Member
8,396 Posts
Here's instructions for the tool I used in FireFox. In firefox, click open menu,web developer,internet. (Or hold Ctrl + Shift + E) And the tool I used will open @ the bottom of your page.(I expanded(stretched) it upwards to be able to see more @ once. After using the tool, I took a screenshot,saved it,and closed it. Then I disabled the blocker I use,opened the tool again,and refreshed the page.
I already posted I don't use Firefox.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,731 Posts
While there are sites that approach the problem from an overly generation fashion for luddites (e.g., Why Is My Website Running Slow? (How To Fix A Slow Site) - Pickaweb), there are no better tools than those similar to what I've mentioned. Combined with utilities like Ping, Traceroute, etc., they get the job done
You're missing the point, times two in a row; now honestly disappointed and no joking. Soz mate.

It's not my job to hunt down their bloatware. It's not even my job to report it, but so i have.
This may be something.. closer.. close..(?) enough to what you do, as a professional, so that time elapsed, you may've come to see it as something more shall we say normal, everyday, or even O.K. to do. On a par and all.
News for you, but.. There's no way i'm gonna dive into it, do another's work; end of the day, can always come here and read; maybe even better to do so, less people annoyed by me :)

I ended my post by (/rhetorically) wondering if there are no such tools for a professional/relative expert to do their job. And in doing it, attract back those that have left OCN, further increase revenue in the process.
You responded only to tell me that "yes! There are, so why not do it yourself"; for them.
Which is what prompted the cactus response.

Now back to browsing.

·
Senioritis Member
8,396 Posts
Has anyone besides me noticed the worst of the slowdowns are during the daytime hours when, presumably, there is more traffic (which would suggest limited website bandwidth)?

Btw, my internet connection is staying at the same speed 24/7 so that isn't a factor.

·
Administrator
64,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·

Trust me when I say I understand, I am on the front line daily with these issues and more so, so I get the feeling of being let down by delays, the frustrations of site performance and the lack of features that we all should have by now. I agree some specifics so far as what is required to help diagnose the issues would have been more useful, but we are past that point now and this has been illustrated by others on how to do it :)

Now for those who are complaining about site performance, I hear ya ! One of my main gripes as well which is fairly obvious by this point. However some of the issues we face may be based on global location, as such VS or others may not be able to replicate all issues and by extension cannot see what to fix. This is where we need you to help provide some information, yeah it is a bummer but if you want a better experience we ask you to give me a hand so I can get VS to address and fix the issue.

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,657 Posts
I already posted I don't use Firefox.
(sigh) U also posted that the 2 browsers U ARE using are either not being updated (by choice in the first case) or don't have dev tool options because it's being phased out (I.E.11). U ALSO said U refused to work with Google. I DO pay some attn. Maybe instead of complaining that we're NOT showing you how to use obsolete browsers to run the testing,U could try downloading FireFox to test & see how it worked? I understand change is hard to accept, but if you had to turn the updates off on your main browser because they were killing the performance,maybe it's time to find a new 1?????? :rolleyes: Edit: Just in case, here's Opera's directions also! Opera-menu-Developer-developer tools (when the tool opens click Network) Directions for developer tools in Opera.:thumb:

81 - 100 of 135 Posts