Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xbitlabs

Advanced Micro Devices, the world's No. 2 maker of x86 central processing units (CPUs), plans to supply nearly 100% of its microprocessors in AM2 form-factor by the end of the fourth quarter this year, according to the company's recent desktop processor update document.
By the end of the year AMD will not produce processors for socket 939 at all, whereas socket 754 chips will account for less than 5% of the company's output, according to the company's transition plans.

More here.

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Well thats odd, keep the hardware that is two generations old in production while completely halting the production of hardware that is one generation old?

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that 5% sk 754 should account for the older mobile devices. You see, up until June 2006 all the mobile AMD Turion/A64DTR/SempronM were on sk 754, so they may have orders on those CPUs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That bites....
Here I built this rig thinking I'd have PLENTY of room to grow and now I won't even be able to buy a new processor next year
So much for this rig.....Now time to start planning the new one

Shaggyt

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
...Thus is the advancement of technlology- Things like this are necessary to further along the next-generation of technology. Sure, it might suck that we all have to upgrade to AM2 the next time we upgrade, but heck, there are newer and better things down the road

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,780 Posts
Won't be upgrading still.

Cept to an Opteron 165 or AMD X2 4200+.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts