Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get a second entry level PC (Skylake) but I have a few questions regarding DDR3 support. My budget is very limited for this build so I want to use some spare DDR3 RAM. Sometime ago I read on some forums about DDR3 RAM damaging Skylake CPUs.

Is this a true?

If so then why are some H110 motherboards advertised as supporting DDR3 and DDR3L?

Has a BIOS update been released to fix this or do you think there will be one in the future?

·
What should be here ?
5,931 Posts
Some H110 boards support DDR4 and DDR3L (low voltage RAM). DDR3, which you have is not supported by Skylake chips as the memory controller is different.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The reason it only supports DDR3L is that the voltage of regular DDR3 is higher and can damage the IMC (integrated memory controller). This is because the memory controller is dual DDR4 and DDR3L. DDR4 runs at 1.2V and DDR3L at 1.35V and regular DDR3 runs at 1.5V but some kits run at 1.65V or more. The 14nm cpu's just can't handle that amount of voltage without bad things happening. So even if a motherboard maker claims to support regular DDR3 on Skylake it is actually the CPU's IMC that runs the memory and Intel does not support it could void the warranty of your cpu so if it fries you could be screwed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts