Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been using my Ivy setup for a couple years now and I've been happy with it. ASUS Maximus V Extreme, Delidded 3770k, 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133, 980 Ti.. the works. I thought I was all set. My credit card was very happy with me. I worked it so hard between computer components and go-fast parts for my car, but I've done good with spending for over a year now. So one recent weekend where I happened to have no responsibilities after getting back from an excruciatingly long work trip across the states I found myself bored. We all know what happens when we get bored. I start browsing and window shopping online. Next thing I knew I bought stuff. Sorry credit card.
Case:
Primochill Wet Bench

Hardware:
Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7
Intel i7 6700k
G.Skill TridentZ 3400Mhz DDR4
500GB Samsung 850 SSD
EVGA G2 1300w PSU

Cooling:
Alphacool 420mm Monsta Radiator Push/Pull with B.Gears 140mm Fans
EK-FB GA Z170X Monoblock - Acetal
EK-FC GTX 980 Ti Waterblock - Copper
EK-XRES 140 D5 Pump Top/Reservoir
Swiftech MCP655
Monsoon Black Chrome Free Center Compression Fittings
Phobya Fan Controller

Network:
TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

Here is my Ivy setup which is for sale right now in the OCN marketplace:

I bought an i7 6700k, Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 motherboard, and G.Skill TridentZ 3400Mhz RAM. I'm a huge fan of the aesthetics of this RAM. Probably the best looking heat spreaders that I've ever seen. Matches the color scheme so well.

I also decided to not reuse the Swiftech CPU block and purchased an EK Monoblock. I've always been interested in a motherboard block, but I wasn't interested with all the extra tubing involved. The Monoblock is very sexy and solves those concerns. Also, the Gigabyte engraving is a very nice touch.

Everything put together. Absolutely no issues. I was very worried that since my last setup was so painless that something was bound to go wrong this time. Nothing yet!! (knock on wood).

Now that I knew everything was working there was just one thing I needed to do. DELID! Wasn't happy with the temps at all. For 1.27v/4.5Ghz I was seeing temps in the mid 60's! I've used the razor method in the past and while I've been successful with it, I wanted something a little less nerve racking. I found this awesome company based out of Finland who sells a delidding tool. It was $45 shipped, but for a $330 processor with a much thinner PCB than what I've worked on in the past I figured that it was good insurance. Here is a link to their website:

Delidding Tool

Here are pics of the tool and the delidded CPU. As always I used CLU on the die. I wouldn't use anything else. After putting everything back together I saw a HUGE decrease in temps. They went from 64C at 100% load to 48C at 100% load. Extremely happy with the results. The tool was of fantastic quality and worth every penny. The measurements were spot on and the chip doesn't move at all when in place. There was absolutely no flexing of the tool like you see with some 3d printed solutions.

So here I am now. Another weekend has come and once again I have nothing to do. I'm thinking about all the dust my previous setup generated in a year. I don't know what I would do without my 60 gallon compressor and air gun attachment. Here is an example of what I dealt with while taking everything apart in preparation of the new setup. I don't even understand. I have hardwood floors where does all this dust come from!!!??

So this got me thinking. It's definitely time to move back to the case life. I definitely needed dust filters. The only problem was that I wanted to fit my 420mm Monsta radiator into a case. This really limited my options. I wasn't about to dish out all that money for a Case Labs. After much research I gave up and admitted that the 420mm Monsta would have to go. It has served me very well. I did more research and discovered a company called Phanteks. Their cases look fantastic and I'm about to make a purchase for an Enthoo Primo. A ton of watercooling possibilities and a lot of dust filters. Exactly what I need.

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
reserved

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reserved

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so I placed an order for the Enthoo Primo last night and also purchased too many things from Performance-PCS. My plan was to run an Alphacool UT60 360mm radiator on the bottom of the case and an Alphacool XT45 420mm up top. Last night browsing eBay I came across a one month old Alphacool ST30 240mm radiator on auction with no reserve so I bid on it for the hell of it. I ended up winning it for $26!! So I guess that will be added to the case too! I was originally going to sleeve the PSU cables, but since this PSU is going to be with me for many more builds I decided to just get black and red extensions in case my color scheme changes in the future.

Here is the list of Performance-PCS parts I ordered:
  • EK-FC GTX 980 Ti Backplate
  • Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 420mm
  • EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black Tubing
  • BitFenix ATX 24pin Extension Cable
  • BitFenix 8-pin Video Card Extension Cable
  • BitFenix 6-pin Video Card Extension Cable
  • BitFenix EPS Extension Cable
  • Cable Combs
  • EK-UNI Pump Bracket (120mm FAN)
  • Koolance Drain Valve
  • 2x Alphacool G1/4 Extension
  • XSPC G1/4 Male to Male Fitting
So now I play the waiting game...

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I picked up an Enthoo Primo. Wasn't about to wait and drop $600 on the Enthoo Pro. Fedex Ground only took one day to get to me from Newegg! I called Performance-PCS to upgrade my shipping to 2nd Day Air so I can have everything I need to build for the weekend.

Here it is next to an NZXT S340. Not too big!!!

Oh....

Boxception

Packing looked good and the box wasn't damaged. Probably because it was only in transit for one day...

Here she is fresh out of the box

A lot of the case has a very nice brushed finish. Very pleasing to the eyes.

Wasn't too happy with this piece of tape. If you don't pull it off very slowly it will leave adhesive on the case.. and not the good Fallout 4 type of adhesive.

Something else I don't like. They slap a "Made In China" sticker and the serial number right above the I/O ports. Really disrupts the flow of the case. I peeled the China sticker off immediately. Once I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the case I'm going to take the serial number off too.

I'll continue this trend with another thing I wasn't happy with. They installed the smaller window with a part of the protective plastic shoved under it so it rips off when you are taking the plastic off. You need to loosen the window clips to slide that piece of plastic out. I did not have this problem with the large window.

Front of the case opened. Looks very promising. First order of business is to remove all the hard drive bays too open up some more room.

Back of the case opened. Incredible cable management possibilities and this awesome fan controller which will finally allow me to get rid of my 5.25 fan controller. Not too mention the huge accessory box!!

and finally the accessory box. A ton of awesome stuff in here!

Overall I'm very pleased. All the complaints I had are very minor and can be fixed easily. I cannot wait to get start building in it on Friday night!

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So tonight I will drain my loop and start transferring everything over to the case. The last of my parts will be delivered tomorrow so I should be able to stay up late tomorrow night and put everything together.

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stripping the case of everything I don't need:

I decided to attempt to drill holes on the pump/res bracket to allow it to fit perfectly with the cases res mounting points since the mounting points on the bracket don't line up with anything in the case.

The two dots on the bracket are where I'm going to be drilling. Not sure why EK wouldn't include these holes to begin with since they seem pretty universal.

So after drilling the holes I rigged it up on the reservoir bracket next to the motherboard. It is CLOSE to the graphics card, but it does work.

Motherboard in the case:

Some other stuff going in:

Very happy with how it came out. I managed to fit a bottom UT60 360mm, front ST30 240mm, and top XT45 420mm quite easily. The case allows for a lot of sneaky tubing routing.

Sorry for the crappy pics. My camera needs an upgrade next.

So I took the outlet of the CPU and routed it under the reservoir bracket and into the 5.25 bays and into the 420mm rad. I was then able to do a straight run down through a hole in the bays to the bottom 360mm rad.

Here you see the tubing coming down from the bays. I'm then able to bounce up to the front 240mm rad and then do a short run back to the pump. You can also see the drain coming out of the bottom 360mm rad. When I want to drain I'll just take the back panel off and swing the tubing out of the case.

Here is the finished product. I tried getting a picture with the side panel on, but there were too many reflections in the glass.

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a second MCP655 to run in series with the one I have now and a couple other goodies that will be here tomorrow. Will update again then.

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty happy with the temps I'm getting. This is after a 4 hour gaming session in The Witcher 3. Everything maxed out, no hairworks.

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright so the second pump is all setup and I also relocated my reservoir so it doesn't look so cluttered near the GPU. Pretty happy with how it came out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts