Overclock.net banner

Which SKU are you interested in purchasing from Silicon Lottery?

  • 7800X 6C/12T/28PCIe/$389

    Votes: 27 9.1%
  • 7820X 8C/16T/28PCIe/$599

    Votes: 92 31.0%
  • 7900X 10C/20T/44PCIe/$999

    Votes: 87 29.3%
  • 7920X 12C/24T/44PCIe/$1199

    Votes: 15 5.1%
  • 7940X 14C/28T/44PCIe/$1399

    Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 7960X 16C/32T/44PCIe/$1699

    Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 7980XE 18C/36T/44PCIe/$1999

    Votes: 59 19.9%
1 - 20 of 873 Posts

·
Customer Support
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stay tuned for information on Skylake-X binning here. We're looking forward to seeing what Skylake-X has to offer.

We do not have plans to bin Kaby Lake-X processors at this time, let us know if that's something you would like to see!

Skylake-X will not be soldered, so we will be offering delidding for these processors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Would the 10-18 Range hit 5ghz? That's the question to answer
smile.gif


I wonder at what core count will we see a sharp drop off in clock speeds? 14? 16?

If 10 can boost to 4.5 and you guys can hit 5Ghz with it and same with 12 and the rest go down then I'd venture those would sell out more.

My prediction is the CPU's that do 5Ghz are the winners.

And the no solder wow Intel is really really just no words...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,298 Posts
18C is 4.5x more than the 7700K and that thing can use up to 180w+ at 5ghz? If you could clock them to 5ghz, you'd be close to 700w+. The radiator sizes you'd be using would be kinda massive to keep that cool, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
What made your mind not to offer Kabylabe-x ?
 

·
Customer Support
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4l View Post

What made your mind not to offer Kabylabe-x ?
We already offer Kaby Lake processors so it's kind of redundant, and we're only a few months away from Coffee Lake.
 

·
Customer Support
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm considering delidding all of these CPUs right off the bat by default, and then binning them after delidding. Only a very small amount of Kaby Lake processors we sell are purchased without delidding as it is. These higher core count processors are going to be fireballs when overclocked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
why not try Kaby Lake-X binning? because, maybe there will be some worthy difference in overclocking potential compared to 7700K, who knows. why it is stated as 112W TDP than?

about deliding and soldering.. if we do not care for warranty, maybe it is better to have it delided with liquid metal, as I heard it net better temperatures than soldering.
 

·
Sunday League Jibber
Joined
·
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Lottery View Post

I'm considering delidding all of these CPUs right off the bat by default, and then binning them after delidding. Only a very small amount of Kaby Lake processors we sell are purchased without delidding as it is. These higher core count processors are going to be fireballs when overclocked.
Solid. I'm thinking that'll be an absolute necessity to get at the potential of these guys, given that they're not soldered. Performance should be very good, though.
:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
I'm most probably going to get one (90% chance
biggrin.gif
). Likely a 7900X or 7820X dellided. Will be an international order from France
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
HEDT and not soldered.!?! What are they doing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Lottery View Post

Stay tuned for information on Skylake-X binning here. We're looking forward to seeing what Skylake-X has to offer.

We do not have plans to bin Kaby Lake-X processors at this time, let us know if that's something you would like to see!

Skylake-X will not be soldered, so we will be offering delidding for these processors.
my understanding of liquid tim gets worse over time due to cooling off and heating up repeatedly, constant expansion/contraction creates cracks so isn't it better to use something like ICDiamond rather than liquid cool lab tim?
 

·
Customer Support
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by unityole View Post

my understanding of liquid tim gets worse over time due to cooling off and heating up repeatedly, constant expansion/contraction creates cracks so isn't it better to use something like ICDiamond rather than liquid cool lab tim?
No.

We've been selling delidded CPUs with CLU for years now, and none of our customers have mentioned any problems or temperature changes over time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
12 core 24 threads!!! Ordering soon as available with delivery to the land down under!

Just to confirm I've never ordered a delidded processor, so you delid then glue the IHS back on for use right?
smile.gif
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czin125 View Post

18C is 4.5x more than the 7700K and that thing can use up to 180w+ at 5ghz? If you could clock them to 5ghz, you'd be close to 700w+. The radiator sizes you'd be using would be kinda massive to keep that cool, right?
This is actually a great point.

Power consumption will scale linearly with core count for a given clock speed*voltage. If a 4 core, 5GHz CPU uses 150W, a CPU with 4.5 times the cores will use 675W. It just has to. In the enterprise, this is solved with lower clocks and voltages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

This is actually a great point.

Power consumption will scale linearly with core count for a given clock speed*voltage. If a 4 core, 5GHz CPU uses 150W, a CPU with 4.5 times the cores will use 675W. It just has to. In the enterprise, this is solved with lower clocks and voltages.
Agreed, TDP is going to be a real challenge with these chips. Delidding is a must.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

This is actually a great point.

Power consumption will scale linearly with core count for a given clock speed*voltage. If a 4 core, 5GHz CPU uses 150W, a CPU with 4.5 times the cores will use 675W. It just has to. In the enterprise, this is solved with lower clocks and voltages.
It's voltage^2 and frequency is linear.

There's a few companies that do server stuff like Ebullient http://imgur.com/hbDIlVo
 
1 - 20 of 873 Posts
Top