Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I own a Macbook Pro. I really do like it, and it has been incredibly reliable over the 2 years I've owned it. Recently, I've become more interested in gaming though, and I think it would be nice to have a laptop that could maybe play some games. I'm a highschool student and take my laptop to school everyday, so the giant Alienware/MSI/Asus bricks are really out of the question. I'm looking to see if I could sell my Macbook and possibly combined it with some of my spare cash to buy a new laptop.

Again, I do need it to meet some of my requirements, but please post your recommendations!

Requirements:

1. Less than $1000
2. Have the ability to game (not being picky, just better than my MBook)
3. Thin and light; easy to transport
4. Built solidy and reliable (coming from an MBook I think it's going to be hard to adapt to a giant plasticy comp)

I was looking at the Samsung Series 9s. They're ultrabooks which is fine with me, as long as the gaming performance will out-do that of my late 2010 MBook Pro. I know Samsung makes solidly built reliable products too, so that's reassuring!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's just not possible to satisfy all four of those requirements.

If you could stretch your budget, then the Vaio Z would be ideal (I just bought one myself).

It's as thin and light as the ultrabooks but it's powerful too. It has a "Power Media" dock which you leave on your desk, containing a decent gaming GPU. That way it's lighter for travelling, but still decent for gaming.

If you can't stretch your budget, then it's going to be impossible to satisfy (3) and (4).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdanFalls View Post

It's just not possible to satisfy all four of those requirements.
If you could stretch your budget, then the Vaio Z would be ideal (I just bought one myself).
It's as thin and light as the ultrabooks but it's powerful too. It has a "Power Media" dock which you leave on your desk, containing a decent gaming GPU. That way it's lighter for travelling, but still decent for gaming.
If you can't stretch your budget, then it's going to be impossible to satisfy (3) and (4).
agreed

·
Registered
376 Posts
Here's how I like to put it

Good Performance
Laptop
Cheap

Pick two.

Honestly with the money you have right now, just build your own, if you REALLY need to get a laptop,(Macbooks/Ultrabooks=/=gaming) jst get a Sager like the others linked.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Do u really have to have a laptop? Gaming laptops are very expensive. Ur better off getting an Xbox 360 or PS3 if ur venturing into gaming but cant have a desktop or cannot afford a gaming laptop. Cheaping out on a gaming laptop sucks because you cant really upgrade them. With Desktops its ok to cheap out a little as long as you have a good foundation because you can always pop in something better down the road..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts