Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenraider;11941359
I was looking at furryletters ebay store and his sleeving is ridiculously cheap (price wise). I've heard that the quality is very similar to murdermods. He sells 25' for $6 after shipping. It's not uv but is this not the best deal for sleeving or what?
Only the clean cut version is the same quality as the MDPC-X sleeving. Still a good deal for sleeving though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1;11941390
Only the clean cut version is the same quality as the MDPC-X sleeving. Still a good deal for sleeving though.
Ooh ok thanks for the quick reply. Still 25' of black clean cut for $7 including shipping =D.

Anyone tried the techflex or audiopipe sleeving he sells? I'm looking for colored sleeving so the black clean cut probably isn't my first choice

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just copy pasted from my worklog, but it answers your question. Get black (and now grey!) from furryletters 1/8" for small 1/4" for sata, and your accents (if needed) from MDPC. Also the S+H from mdpc has been cut by like 50% in the last month or so.

UPDATE: Sleeving FC6 Leads

So as I said in the first post I've spent a lot on sleeving over the past few months, since I was reluctant to pay the premium for MDPC sleeve. So much so that I've had to get a bin to store all the sleeve in:
img1896f.jpg

img1897g.jpg

The only good sleeve I did find in my frenzy of clicking the submit order button were "Clean Cut Sleeve" on eBay from the seller FURRYLETTERS. That stuff is great. But I did eventually break down and order some MDPC sleeve. I did this for two reasons. The first was to see what sizes "small" sleeve and "sata" sleeve were. The second was because I could never find clean cut sleeve in anything but black. Well now that I have the sleeve in my hands I can show you it next to clean cut sleeve.
img1883u.jpg

img1885c.jpg

Want to take a guess as to which is which? I couldn't notice a difference either. The only way I was able to differentiate is that the MDPC sleeve was secured by a black zip tie and FURRYLETTERS secures her stuff with a white one.

Random Shots:
img1886q.jpg

img1875s.jpg

img1877yk.jpg

img1876j.jpg

Here is the fan controller leads I've made using 1/8" clean cut and some SATA cables sleeved in 1/4" clean cut. Since I couldn't notice a difference between MDPC sleeve and the clean cut stuff I went ahead and used clean cut for the fan controller leads, since I got 100' of it for like $16 shipped. I hope Nils won't mind my post here, I won't post it anywhere else, so as not to give it too much exposure. If Nils wants me to take it down I will. I understand that this may be some secret sauce which is kind of like intellectual property in that it is perhaps a trade secret.
img1889qc.jpg

img1891.jpg

img1893r.jpg

img1894a.jpg

Two tips I would have for beginners are first, when you have the cable sleeved and the two pieces of heatshrink on and ready to go, don't jump the gun. Put the connector back on first so that the heatshrink can be slid down accordingly. Second, stretch out the sleeve to it's limit before tightening the heatshrink. Apparently that "closes the weave structure." I only learned both today, so the SATA cables weren't done using the latter method.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just snapped a few pics.
Furryletters on left/mdpc on right
dsc02399j.jpg

Furryletters black on left, and furryletters grey. All the rest is MDPC
dsc02405f.jpg
Wow, those pics are awful. I'll try again later. Sorry

·
Registered
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadawgis732;11992845
Just snapped a few pics.
Furryletters on left/mdpc on right
dsc02399j.jpg

Furryletters black on left, and furryletters grey. All the rest is MDPC
dsc02405f.jpg
Wow, those pics are awful. I'll try again later. Sorry
What what what!? Is that grey from furryletters? It seems to be triple braided, is it? I didn't know he was selling grey clean-cut, only the PET one which has single braid (or whatever its called
tongue.gif
)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
the kobra sleeving is also very high quality however there are some big differences:
1. 1/2 as thick as mdpc sleeving/clean cut techflex
2. colors aren't as vibrant. much darker colors. mdpc colors are vastly superior here.
3. wire visibility is greater than with mdpc but not by much. probably because less sleeving material is used.

hope that helps

·
Premium Member
8,774 Posts
PET is the absolute WORST sleeve you can get. VERY poor coverage. Clean Cut from Furry Letters on the left and PET on the right. It appears a bit exaggerated due to being stretched over a straw instead of wires, but it really does look that bad. If you want colors other than the Clean Cut Black your only choice for quality aside from MDPC-X is the Premium from KoolerTek or Kobra from FrozenCPU. The KoolerTek and FrozenCPU is the same stuff.

CleanCutVsPETFurryLetters.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
You can also buy it directly from Barry although it seems that he lowered his eBay prices so he might lower his direct prices as well. I'll email him just to get an update but here's the thread so far.

http://www.overclock.net/other-hardware-mods/737210-great-news-furryletters-sleeving.html

Also, the PET is crap. If you want decent colored sleeving, you're pretty much stuck with MDPC or Kobra. Koolertek.com has the cheapest prices on the Kobra sleeving although to be honest, it's insanely expensive. And I do mean insane, whoever thought of this pricing is just trying to milk it for all it's worth but the quality of it isn't even close to Clean Cut or MDPC and they are cheaper. It used to only be $0.19 a foot and then it wasn't bad at all as an alternative to MDPC but now that it's as expensive as it is, MDPC isn't that much off.

At Koolertek.com it's $0.59 a foot for Kobra 1/8th sleeving.

http://www.koolertek.com/computer-parts/pc/premium-high-density-cable-sleeving-1-8-8-colors-available-195p1964.htm?atc=1&idproduct=2031

Brings you to $59.00 for 100 feet and you haven't even bought heat shrink tubing or paid for shipping yet. Shipping for me is $6.35 for Priority Mail USPS.

http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve/sleeve.htm

At MDPC, it's $26.75 for 30 meters of sleeving (20.04 euro's and current currency conversion rates) and $12.08 for shipping charges.....no contest there that MDPC wins. This is only with colored sleeving though.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf;12004228
The main advantages to the Kobra now that the price has gone up is if you only need a few feet of it to sleeve a few fans or something like that or you need it in a hurry in the US.
lol I think I'd rather just wait

·
Premium Member
8,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenraider;12004851
You guys really think that green/black sleeving looks crappy? You can't see the cables through it or anything. Even though everyone is saying its sh** so haha
Sure you can. The yellow wire sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't see how you can miss it. But hey, it's your computer. If you think it looks okay and you like it then go with it. Don't let someone talk you out of what you want. All we can realistically do is warn you of the potential pitfalls of the various types of sleeve.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf;12010776
Sure you can. The yellow wire sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't see how you can miss it. But hey, it's your computer. If you think it looks okay and you like it then go with it. Don't let someone talk you out of what you want. All we can realistically do is warn you of the potential pitfalls of the various types of sleeve.
Oh god you're right. It's a little hard to tell on the small wires cuz of the camera, but the big sleeving is obvious. Maybe I'll just buy a little bit of several types of sleeving and save every noobie some time

1 - 20 of 38 Posts