Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so for my build that is coming up i want to make this setup look super nice and super clean. Does anyone know if its possible to sleeve sata cables, water cooling lines and front panel connections and anything else that required sleeving? Like what is required to sleeve, parts, ETC.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Have you ever sleeved before? It's a tough job to do, and if you ever plan to sleeve a PSU, you want some Molex pin extractor tools.

The front panel connectors (if they don't come bundled in a plastic bundle) but are separate wires need 3/8" PET sleeving. So your inventory for various wiring bundles will be from 3/8" 1/4" 1/2" and 1" (for the PSU ATX bundle). If you're planning to use heatshrink it's recommended to get a hotair gun (a hairdryer just doesn't cut it). I've even used a lighter to shrink the tubing on fans before (but don't do it yourself!).

Heat shrink, you'll find the sizes to match it (usually the shrink to a 6:1 ratio). Highly recommend 3M heatshrink as it can even withstand a lighter directly on it, and not even overheat the wiring. 3M doesn't make the UV Day-Glo type, so that'll tell you if it's 3M or not.

SATA cables are tougher to sleeve, and if you do so without snipping the connectors off, you'll be using the 1/2" or larger PET which when sleeved looks god awful.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryNite View Post
Have you ever sleeved before? It's a tough job to do, and if you ever plan to sleeve a PSU, you want some Molex pin extractor tools.

The front panel connectors (if they don't come bundled in a plastic bundle) but are separate wires need 3/8" 1/8" PET sleeving. So your inventory for various wiring bundles will be from 3/8" 1/8" 1/4" 1/2" and 1" (for the PSU ATX bundle). If you're planning to use heatshrink it's recommended to get a hotair gun (a hairdryer just doesn't cut it). I've even used a lighter to shrink the tubing on fans before (but don't do it yourself!).

Heat shrink, you'll find the sizes to match it (usually the shrink to a 6:1 ratio). Highly recommend 3M heatshrink as it can even withstand a lighter directly on it, and not even overheat the wiring. 3M doesn't make the UV Day-Glo type, so that'll tell you if it's 3M or not.

SATA cables are tougher to sleeve, and if you do so without snipping the connectors off, you'll be using the 1/2" or larger PET which when sleeved looks god awful.
fixed

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thanks! Yep, 1/8".

BTW, sleeving is for those who have plenty of time on their hands, and willing to void the PSU warranty, as a good sleeve job requires popping the PSU cover and pulling the sleeving through it's wire bundle hole (here is a good place for zip ties, but the pros will heat shrink it too). Originally did mine on an Antec years ago, and then another Antec, but stopped at the SATA connectors (got tired of 1001 hand cuts again), as then (and probably still today) you had to snip them off, and reattach them after sleeving (the connectors are too wide to get a snug PET sleeve look).

The results are beautiful though. Highly recommend using black, since over time the dirt will show on the UV pet sleeving (used UV Orange in my case).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me i just wanna sleeve some SATA cables saw the murder mod and they look super nice on that, sleeving the whole PSU will take forever, i just wanna do front panel and sata connections like the muder mod those looked super nice

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
A whole PSU sleeve job takes about 5hrs give or take (spend most of it removing molex connectors).

But sleeving SATA cables (and not the SATA PSU connectors), that's not even a 30 minute job. Just 1/4" PET should be wide enough to snake over the motherboard connector, and use some high shrink ratio hot shrink (it has to be high enough to shrink to be tight around the cable).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryNite View Post
A whole PSU sleeve job takes about 5hrs give or take (spend most of it removing molex connectors).

But sleeving SATA cables (and not the SATA PSU connectors), that's not even a 30 minute job. Just 1/4" PET should be wide enough to snake over the motherboard connector, and use some high shrink ratio hot shrink (it has to be high enough to shrink to be tight around the cable).
You think water cooling tubes might be possible like in murder mod but a different color?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts