Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is currently building a new a pc and we were taking a look at his graphics cards do you guys at OCN think its worth it to keep is current 460 and SLI or upgrade to a 6970 or a 580? He plays alot of FPS (will be playing bf3) and plays games such as wow etc...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,931 Posts
If its the 1GB GTX460, and not the SE model, just SLI it. Cheapest possible bang for his buck option out there since he's already got one.

Another 460 1GB is about $150, and 460 1GB SLI will beat out a 580.

A single GTX580 is $420 and up (on sale). Again, the 460 1GB SLI will beat it.

I normally don't recommend SLI / Crossfire options honestly, but since he's already got one, it would be the logical upgrade path.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud;15257127
If its the 1GB GTX460, and not the SE model, just SLI it. Cheapest possible bang for his buck option out there since he's already got one.

Another 460 1GB is about $150, and 460 1GB SLI will beat out a 580.

A single GTX580 is $420 and up (on sale). Again, the 460 1GB SLI will beat it.

I normally don't recommend SLI / Crossfire options honestly, but since he's already got one, it would be the logical upgrade path.
How do we clarify if its SE or not? and his mobo will support SLI
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2107;15257326
How do we clarify if its SE or not? and his mobo will support SLI
GPUz? Or it should say on the card or on the sticker on the card. Somewhere it'll say it, lol.

If its a regular GTX460 1GB, I say SLI. If its the 768MB model or the SE 1GB model, I'd say save up for another card (especially if planning on gaming at 1080p).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophath;15257422
Seems like it is the 1GB. Tried looking at various websites, and i don't see anything other than a 1GB version for the OC edition.
There are a FEW models out there. But it should say GTX460 SE on the card (or on the sticker), if it were an SE model.

If its the 1GB card (non SE), then yes SLI would be a GREAT option to go with. GTX580 performance, and he'll be out around $150 instead of $420+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud;15257440
There are a FEW models out there. But it should say GTX460 SE on the card (or on the sticker), if it were an SE model.

If its the 1GB card (non SE), then yes SLI would be a GREAT option to go with. GTX580 performance, and he'll be out around $150 instead of $420+.
I know, but PNY doesn't seem to make GTX 460 SE cards. Tried googling them, but there weren't any. It seems to be this card. http://www3.pny.com/GTX-460-OC-1024MB-PCIe-font-colorCC0000Special-Offerfont-P2899C434.aspx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,931 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
As stated above GPU-Z or MSI afterburner will tell you
smile.gif

i think even CPU-Z will tell you as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah we've come to the conclusion that its not, next question is do we have to go with another pny card to sli or is it okay if we grab one made by another company?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud;15257394
GPUz? Or it should say on the card or on the sticker on the card. Somewhere it'll say it, lol.

If its a regular GTX460 1GB, I say SLI. If its the 768MB model or the SE 1GB model, I'd say save up for another card (especially if planning on gaming at 1080p).
Actually, if not applying too much AA (which is usually not noticebale, it just hurts performance for something not too much spectacular...), the 768MB would be okay. I haven't encountered any frame buffer issues so far;)
However, it will definitely fail at higher resses than 1080p, I don't doubt that.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Kevin2107

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2107;15257740
Yeah we've come to the conclusion that its not, next question is do we have to go with another pny card to sli or is it okay if we grab one made by another company?
I'm extremely picky about looks, so I'd prefer the exact same card.

But honestly it doesn't matter, you can grab any other brand GTX 460 1GB. The only requirement for SLI is that its the same core and the same amount of memory (so it has to be a GTX 460 1GB non SE).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
751 Posts
What's wrong with the 460 SE's in SLi? They scale better than regular 460s and their performance is almost identical in SLi.

Comparing my build to my friend's build with SE's (accidentally bought them because they were cheaper) there's not much of a difference.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top