Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a custom heatsink/fan for my 4000+. I don't want to get into watercooling yet so it would be an air cooled unit. As the title says, it's for an SLI-DR motherboard. What do you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xr6vn9z

I'm thinking of getting a custom heatsink/fan for my 4000+. I don't want to get into watercooling yet so it would be an air cooled unit. As the title says, it's for an SLI-DR motherboard. What do you guys recommend?

ThermalTake Big Typhoon.
It is arguably the best air cooling system around.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was actually looking at that one but I read somwhere that it blocks 2 of the RAM slots. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xr6vn9z

Thanks! I was actually looking at that one but I read somwhere that it blocks 2 of the RAM slots. Can anyone confirm this?

No, it does not seem to have a problem.

In that pic, it may seem a bit tight in that first RAM slot, but I think the Typhoon is rotatable, so you will not have a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
The BT isn't rotatable (well, you can turn it 180* but it'd be exactly the same except for fan cable), but it looks like the RAM would fit if you put it in first.

Many people have gotten great results with the BT, esp with a +100CFM fan on it. Sadly, my case is too shallow to fit it. Sigh.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun

No, it does not seem to have a problem.

In that pic, it may seem a bit tight in that first RAM slot, but I think the Typhoon is rotatable, so you will not have a problem.

Hmmm, it does look like it'd be ok. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon it is then. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Fits fine on mine

I however prefer running screws up from the bottom and using nuts to retain the FHS!
2" long 8-32 (if I recall correctly) installed from the bottom require grinding of filing the heads so that they are flush in the Oats base.
Dubble nutting... preinstall 2 nuts before setting the FHS/retainer bracket on the CPU, use second set to draw down the FHS then run the 2 preinstalled up to the bottom of the retainer... that esentialy locks the upper nuts so they wont vibrate loose.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It fits mine perfectly, also. If I had a digi-cam I'd show ya a pic of it.. It clears my RAM by about an inch. To hit it, you would have to have some ungodly huge RAM.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey122687

is there a list that show all the compatible mobos for the Big T?

Not that I've seen yet... there competition Thermalright offers one so Thermaltake should get there act together on that!

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

Not that I've seen yet... there competition Thermalright offers one so Thermaltake should get there act together on that!

ya i think most companys should have a list of compatable MOBO's for all these huge coolers.... because nothing sucks more that buying a cooler only to find out it wont fit because the memory of a capacitor is in the way...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! You guys rock! This FORUM rocks!

The Duke: Could you post a pic of what you've described?

humvee: Thanks, I believe you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just bought the

Big Typhoon

from newegg.com! I'm looking forward to some major overclockin' joy. They even gave me a free newegg.com sticker b/c I have bought so much stuff from them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Follow Up:

I installed the Big Typhoon this afternoon and I'm happy with it. I did it by myself and it was very cumbersome to deal with. The hardest part was getting the bolts onto the screws. I finally did it by putting the screws up through the bottom and while holding the screws, laid the board on a flat surface. Next I finger tightened the screws and then tipped the board on it's side and used a screwdriver to turn the screws as I used the same hand to both hold the heatsink and the nuts with an extra finger. As you can imagine, it was hard. The temps came down about 8 degrees Celsius for idle. Under load the temp doesn't seem to go over 38 degrees Celsius. The stock HS/F did a good job keeping it cool for everyday tasks but when it was under heavy load(maxed out 3d games like Q4/CoD2/FEAR) it shot up to 48-50 degrees Celsius.

If I had done a better job of securing the HS before moving it around the thermal paste would have spread out more evenly. If it had, I'm sure the temps would be down to room temperature for idle.

Thanks again for the tips and info. Overclock.net rocks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts