Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have started to actually get some lag in WoW. Big surprise, huh?

Long story short, WoW got a huge graphics overhaul in the last expansion. To run it on Ultra with high MSAA @ 1920x1080 during 25 man raids can actually cause some lag now.

The question is, do I take the cheap route and add on another GTX 460 for ~$150 open box or do I still have to go with the single card solution for WoW?

I have read somewhere recently that DX11 has salvaged some of the WoW SLI scaling and functionality but I can't find that literature again.

Anyone have any particular comments about this? I do enjoy playing the game maxed out and it is not a possibility anymore during 25 man raids with sig rig.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Perhaps it's network lag from having so many people in one raid? I myself run WoW maxed at 1080p with my 5770 and I barely see any chop at all, at least nothing that's made it unplayable.

·
Registered
697 Posts
No. WoW Did not get any sort of graphics overhaul (only the water engine/ sunshafts). They just increased the polygon count. WoW is MAJORLY CPU dependant. GPU will help slightly, but getting a new processor will help out the most by far.

EDIT: Also, I run WoW max everything (shadows and all) and I get consistently 50-60 FPS in Org, and about 70-80 FPS in 25 mans. Everywhere else I'm getting 150 FPS+.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No point investing in SLI. It will be much more beneficial to buy a newer, more powerful single GPU. That is if you are really willing to fork out $250+ for an extra 10 or 15 fps on max detail. SLI would give you hardly any boost, as WoW does not use SLI. Try putting the details down or if you really want, go out and but a 5950 or something of that power level.

And perhaps a better CPU.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
His 930 is at 4.0 Ghz. That should be plenty for Wow, even with the slightly updated graphics.
Point taken. At this point I would say network lag, running too many simultaenous applications or as Buddharoxor said, driver issues.

Install the latest drivers for your GPU, check your internet speed, and close all other programs.

THEN run WoW.

·
100LB Rig Club
2,573 Posts
Look at a 69xx or 570 if you need more speed. Ran near max on a 5850. A 69xx or 570 will max out at decent fps or near max at 60+ fps

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Just to echo what everyone else said, SLI will get you no real benefit in WoW, and can actually slow you down in some cases. I actually get steadier framerates when I disable SLI for WoW.

But tbh I don't notice any video lag with my 460.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
as said before, WoW does not support dual GPUs solutions. a strong single card is your best bet, along with a high clocked CPU because WoW is pretty CPU heavy. your 930 @ 4.0 is plenty, obviously.

sell the 460 and upgrade or you will have to lower details/suffer with lower fps.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
they did add to the graphics in the new expansion, so it will put a bigger load on the GPU. at 1920x1080, i could see the GTX460 having issues with a 25 man. my 5770 could dip into the low 20s during 25 mans on 'only' 1680x1050. do you have any overclocking room on your 460?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Whoa, whoa, what the heck...

How the hell is WoW not crossfire/SLI functional?

I used my single 4890 and got only max 60FPS on HIGH graphics, 1920x1080 resolution, with vsync on.

With vsync off, I still only got around max 80FPS, dipped to lower 40's sometimes, but hovered mostly at 50-60FPS.

NOW, with crossfire enabled, with Vsync off I can 230FPS max on dungeons and such on ULTRA graphics, although it does dip down to 40FPS in more grassy terrain areas, but it howevers around 100FPS.

How the heck does it not support crossfire?

·
Registered
711 Posts
The engine still isn't really optimized for heavy GPU usage. I don't see why you'd have a problem with a single 460. If you aren't running in DX11 with a DX11 card you are going to have a huge FPS dip. You should average at least a constant 45FPS in SW or ORG (by the AH is way more intensive than any of the 25m raids out, at least from my personal experiences).

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Here's your DX11 instructions:
Quote:
Expand a shortcut to the wow.exe with "-d3d11". Alternatively, open the "Config.w t f" in "\World of Warcraft\W T F" and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11" (with quotes)
After doing the latter, I gained a good 30 or so fps on my GTX 480. I've been running with Vsync for a long time, however, since it drops load enough to highly improve thermals, and I get a constant 60fps everywhere.

Give that a shot, as it'll probably give your 460 new life. If the DX11 change doesn't fix everything, drop your shadows by once setting (seriously, try it, one setting), or reduce the AA/AF and experiment. (it doesn't make a noticeable difference in this game at 1080p anyway).

EDIT: I run on completely maxed in-game settings including AA/AF, plus the other little performance reducing items maxed like sound, and reducing input lag. Obviously a 480 >> 460, but I'm seeing over 100fps out and about right now if I turn Vsync off.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
during a fight in a 25 man? there might be 50 or more people in the AH, but they arent all constantly casting. with ultra details on, thats a lot of effects. its not crysis, but its still a lot of effects at 1920x1080

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert
View Post

as said before, WoW does not support dual GPUs solutions. a strong single card is your best bet, along with a high clocked CPU because WoW is pretty CPU heavy. your 930 @ 4.0 is plenty, obviously.

sell the 460 and upgrade or you will have to lower details/suffer with lower fps.

WRONG

really people should stop telling others that SLI or CF doesnt work

it DOES work !!

if needed ill link a screenshot of gpuz showing both my gpu's beeing used by WOW.

this is like thread NR. 5 where they tell people sli or cf doesnt work but it does.

Stop spreading false info pls.

Even on WOW forums the blue posters tell you that sli and cf does work.
If any should know they would.

fact is though you will hardly see any increase if you allready have like a gtx460 or better. the single one will handle WOW just as good, but it doesnt say sli or cf doesnt work !

i gone from a 5870 matrix to 2x 6950 and only saw a 5-7 fps increase in highly crowded area's.
almost double the fps in old empty area's.

a good CPU overclock gives a better increase.

Also a SSD wont increase your fps, it only makes everything load faster

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farih
View Post

WRONG

really people should stop telling others that SLI or CF doesnt work

it DOES work !!

if needed ill link a screenshot of gpuz showing both my gpu's beeing used by WOW.

this is like thread NR. 5 where they tell people sli or cf doesnt work but it does.

Stop spreading false info pls.

Even on WOW forums the blue posters tell you that sli and cf does work.
If any should know they would

It's not that WoW doesn't recognize or even use the 2nd GPU, it's that you get no performance gains from it. Try testing your FPS with and without SLI enabled.

With my old SLI 9800GT setup my FPS actually increased with a single card.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Booty Warrior
View Post

It's not that WoW doesn't recognize or even use the 2nd GPU, it's that you get no performance gains from it. Try testing your FPS with and without SLI enabled.

With my old SLI 9800GT setup my FPS actually increased with a single card.

Thats what i dit.

i get 32-35 fps in ogrimar with a single card at peek hours on Stormscale wich is the highest populated horde server of WOW.

i get 37-41 fps when i run CF.
small increase but its an increase

outside ogrimar i get 130+fps on a single card.
200+ fps in CF
not that it matters to have 200+ if you allready had 130+

Proof for me it does work, is it any usefull ? NO

I bet when you take low end graphic cards sli or cf will be a big deal tbh

1 - 20 of 26 Posts