Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as reviews go I've heard lots of news about the release of Fermi, but to be honest the part I'm more excited about are the new drivers that allow the G200 chips to support 3D Surround. Even more important, I could care less about the 3D part because there's NO WAY I'm going to replace all the montiors I've bought over the years and the 47 LG T.V. I have just to do 3D. But I want to run with "Surround" or whatever Nvidia is going to call their "EyeFinity." I'm also aware that SLI GTX 260 (which I have overclocked quite substantially) is normally the equivalent of one HD5870 and a 5870 does not have a major difficulty running 3X 1920x1080 in most games (give or take Crysis and such.) So the question at hand...As far as benchmarks go SLI GTX 260 and HD5870 run relatively similar, will my SLI GTX260's run Dragon Age, BioShock, CS:Source, Red Alert 3 and such in Surround with good FPS? What are your opinions

P.s. - I am aware I'll have to take all your responses with a grain of salt due to the fact that we'll actually see when the cards and drivers come out, but just for dreaming and healthy debate purposes, please respond

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukss View Post
men, two gtx260 blows away a single 5870.. i thinks your cards can run those resolution in 3d sorround.. maybe not all high and low aa, but def yes, you should be ok dude.
No, he was correct that the 5870 = 2*260 roughly

OP, I can see them handling it fine (they are 1gb correct?). Only thing I would wonder, is nVidia extending eyefinity/surround/whatever to the 2** line?

Also, as for 3D, it will be interesting to see how it works with surround. I mean, you have non flat surfaces (monitors unlikely to be perfectly aligned) and bezels projecting through the 3D. Technically though, if nVidia lets you, it should work

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
If they do that, huge props to nVidia!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
SLI 260's are faster than a 5870. Depends on the test, but presuming SLI is supported, they are somewhere between 5% and 30% faster, average is around +10%.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
SLI GTX260 considerably better minimum frame rate than a single 5870. As it is, maximum fps is irrelevant.

·
Gone
8,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
SLI 260's are faster than a 5870. Depends on the test, but presuming SLI is supported, they are somewhere between 5% and 30% faster, average is around +10%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukss View Post
men, two gtx260 blows away a single 5870.. i thinks your cards can run those resolution in 3d sorround.. maybe not all high and low aa, but def yes, you should be ok dude.

Ehh, I thought the 5870 traded blows with the GTX295 (2x275) ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts