Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Leader of the #1 [email protected] Team
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got some options this Xmas.

Should I buy another GTX 770 4GB FTW and SLI or should I sell my 770 and get a GTX 780 Ti 3GB?

I play Titanfall, FC4, BF4, Watch Dogs and Crysis 3, which all get close to, use up or goes over 3GB of VRAM. Oh and God knows what GTA V will use! lol

For example, in Far Cry 4, my GPU is a limiting factor, and it uses about 3.2GB of VRAM.

So do I keep my 4GB card for the future and SLI or just get the 780 Ti? Sure i could then SLI the 780 later on, but then i wonder if the VRAM will be an issue.

Yes i do game at 1080p, but i might get a 1440p monitor soon. And i want to play at 120+ Hz.

Thanks.

·
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-m-a-n View Post

Sell the 770 and buy a 970
smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc79 View Post

Single 970 or 980, 4GB Vram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post

Yeah go for the 970 and get another one when you have the oppertunity
smile.gif
That's what i was thinking, but i can get a good used 780 Ti off someone for less than a 970, so i was thinking that would even the playing field some.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you can sell your 770 for about $175 , then buy the 780ti for around $225 that would be a good idea, but if the 780 is more than that just spend the extra on a 970

·
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc79 View Post

I kinda figured you had a nice deal lined up for the 780 Ti, still a very good option.
Yeah, i wouldn't say lined up, but close enough lol

So how big of a gap in price would you go between the 780 Ti and the 970 before you just go with the cheaper one?

I have seen a 780 Ti SC go for $350 but a 970 is closer to $400+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-m-a-n View Post

If you can sell your 770 for about $175 , then buy the 780ti for around $225 that would be a good idea, but if the 780 is more than that just spend the extra on a 970
Where have you seen a 780 Ti for $225??

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
In the latest games the 970 is actually faster then the 780ti and overclocks very easily on air, it seems Nvidia have stopped optimizing new titles for Kepler since 980/970 release.

I would go with the 970 even if it is a bit more personally, the extra VRAM just puts a cherry on top.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSkyline View Post

Yeah, i wouldn't say lined up, but close enough lol

So how big of a gap in price would you go between the 780 Ti and the 970 before you just go with the cheaper one?

I have seen a 780 Ti SC go for $350 but a 970 is closer to $400+.
Where have you seen a 780 Ti for $225??
Never
smile.gif
but he did say the person selling it was a friend, so maybe his friend could hook him up with a good price. If not I still say 970, even the $300 reference ones will do.

·
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So assuming I could get either a 780 Ti or a 970 at about the same price range, you guys recommended the 970? Even though the 780 has a better Bus and matured drivers?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:

So assuming I could get either a 780 Ti or a 970 at about the same price range, you guys recommended the 970? Even though the 780 has a better Bus and matured drivers?
Yup.
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Quote:

if you want yo do 1440p at higher refresh rates,

sli 780 tis will do you better then sli 970's. sticking with 1080p, go 970's

my suggestion.. hold out for the cut down big maxwell.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
There's been a very long discussion about this in another thread but basically in all games since the release of Maxwell Kepler cards are falling way back. The GTX 780 is performing about the same as a 280X in new games!

This has been noticed on Techspot and Techpowerup as well as in a few tests on Guru3d although they dont do as many as the other 2 sites. The below graph is one example. Obviously it is stock reference cards included only, and the 780ti will overclock a higher percentage then the high boosting 970 or 980 reference cards. Its not enough to close the gap though. In new games this is the story, and actually the higher the resolution the more the gap seems obvious despite the superior bus on the 780ti.

The evidence is all there in these sites, all games released since Maxwell came out show the same story. I have concluded that Nvidia simply are not optimizing games for Kepler, others that they are purposely gimping the older cards to make the new ones look better. I think thats a bit to far myself.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
stock vs stock a 970 would seem better value, but when OCd a 780 Ti becomes a beast that even a 980 needs an OC to match. If Nvidia weren't playing dirty with their latest driver optimizations i would have said 780 Ti by far because on paper it is better than the 970 but the 4GB Vram on the 970 and better driver optimizations make it a better deal right now. Unless Nvidia fix their kepler drivers.

·
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

stock vs stock a 970 would seem better value, but when OCd a 780 Ti becomes a beast that even a 980 needs an OC to match. If Nvidia weren't playing dirty with their latest driver optimizations i would have said 780 Ti by far because on paper it is better than the 970 but the 4GB Vram on the 970 and better driver optimizations make it a better deal right now. Unless Nvidia fix their kepler drivers.
Yeah ia m really getting tired of Nivdia's crap.
mad.gif

Well what about a 980 then? It might cost me another $200-$250 after i sell my 770, is it worth it over the 970? I would assume not, but thought i would ask.

I suppose waiting till the 980 Ti hits and then getting either it or the 980 when they drop in price. Guess i will suffer the FPS stutter in FC4 till March lol

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Quote:

mad.gif

Well what about a 980 then? It might cost me another $200-$250 after i sell my 770, is it worth it over the 970? I would assume not, but thought i would ask.

I suppose waiting till the 980 Ti hits and then getting either it or the 980 when they drop in price. Guess i will suffer the FPS stutter in FC4 till March lol
I wouldn't buy a 980 over a 970. The price delta is too large and the performance you gain isn't worth it. I'd wait for the next big release if you're looking at buying a 980 unless money isn't an issue. Then it is the fastest card out at the moment.

·
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

Quote:

mad.gif

I wouldn't buy a 980 over a 970. The price delta is too large and the performance you gain isn't worth it. I'd wait for the next big release if you're looking at buying a 980 unless money isn't an issue. Then it is the fastest card out at the moment.
Money is always the issue, i have to sell the 770 to just make a down payment on the next GPU lol

Guess i will shoot for a 970, but if i can grab a 780 Ti for a decent less, i will.
smile.gif

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Quote:

Money is always the issue, i have to sell the 770 to just make a down payment on the next GPU lol

Guess i will shoot for a 970, but if i can grab a 780 Ti for a decent less, i will.
smile.gif
well, either card will be a nice bump in performance. The 770 is kepler as well so jumping ship to Maxwell will bring a nice performance bump indeed. I tnoticed a nice performance jump going from 7970 to 290X so you should notice it too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts