Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be a good idea to SLI my GTX 465 with my old GTX260? I used to be running a pair of the GTX260s in my computer. It seems that it did help performance wise to have an SLI setup.

SLI'ing my GTX 260 to my GTX 465 would not hinder my GTX 465's performance, correct?

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
No because it won't work. In order for SLI to work, they have to be the same model. GTX465 with a 465. GTX460 with a 460, etc.....

You could use your old GTX260 as a dedicated PhysX card though.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
The cards have to be the same for SLI

But you could use your 260 for physx, letting the 465 go full steam ahead

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I didn't realize they had to be the same cards. One of my GTX 260s was 192 core paired with 216 core... guess that didn't matter.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2nd Question: Are 2 GTX 260s in SLI better than my new 465

My GTX 465 scored higher on Cinebench than my two cards, and I think it did better in Vantage, but Fallout 3 doesn't seem to like it as much as my 2 GTX 260s.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
If you're looking into multi card setups with different video cards, you're going to want to look at motherboards with the lucid hydra chip, since that enables workloads to be offloaded onto different GPUs installed in the same motherboard. There aren't many of them out on the market right now, but I think MSI has one such board out there.

EDIT: To answer your question. I think that the 2x GTX 260s have more raw horsepower than the 465, but the power consumption is higher and you don't get DX11 benefits. The 2x GTX 260s might perform better in older games where SLI is implemented well.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
you cant sli but you could use it as physx card

1 - 11 of 11 Posts