Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been searching for an answer for this but didnt really get much information. I just got my 2nd Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC today, so I set it up in sli. Now gpu2 (for some reason listed as 2, when its in the first pci slot and original one i had) is in slot 1 and gpu1 is is slot 4. Gpu 2 will run about 10-15 C hotter then gpu 1. Now I understand that the top card would run hotter, only makes sense, but 10-15 C during load seems a little drastic. Also sometimes when im playing at stock clocks (700/1400, core/shaer, .950 v which is a slightly lower voltage) ill get some artifacting. Primarily green dots, which would be related to memory? Any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
is there spacing in between the cards (a 1 card space) or are they up against each other? If it is the latter, you will certainly see a drastic rise in temperatures, you need as much airflow as possible. Either way, if you have a side panel in which you can mount a fan, doing so should help with the temperatures. If you are getting artifacting at stock settings and voltages, check the temps, if they are high (90+ range) then the graphics cards are most likely overheating and you need more airflow

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, there is a 1 card space. there is a 200 mm side fan blowing directly on both cards. during crysis, the top card hits almost 90 (87-89) and the bottom card is about 68-72. i even reapplied new thermal paste on the top cards heatsink but still high. maybe wasnt too good of a job, but it isnt the first time i have applied paste. i think it just need some ice cold water!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I got mine stacked in a htpc case but I have decent temps because I stuck a 3k fan in front of them and spread the cards as far as I could with out stressing the pcb. When its 70 F I get in the 70s low 80s C when running the heaven bench. Ur not going to play any games more demanding then that really. Oh did I mention their overclocked? I also fold 24/7.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
yes, there is a 1 card space. there is a 200 mm side fan blowing directly on both cards. during crysis, the top card hits almost 90 (87-89) and the bottom card is about 68-72. i even reapplied new thermal paste on the top cards heatsink but still high. maybe wasnt too good of a job, but it isnt the first time i have applied paste. i think it just need some ice cold water!

That sounds oddly hot but ur case has awsome airflow. I don't know what elese u could do but move it down a slot

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibfreeekout View Post
If you can set up some custom fan profiles in MSI Afterburner. If you can get some faster fan speeds going on the cards (bearable to you of course) then maybe that will help with the cooling. Just something to try out.
This. I use the custom fan profile and as soon as my cards hit 80 the fan speed is at 100 its loud but it works

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrotes View Post
That sounds oddly hot but ur case has awsome airflow. I don't know what elese u could do but move it down a slot
it already has a one slot space in between and the card i have is a gigabyte gtx 470 soc. it has 3 fans and a gigantic heatsink so temperatures shouldnt be a problem. the case temperature is showing as around 38 C so case airflow shouldnt be a problem. also i want to avoid moving it to any other slots because they are in the x16 slots as of right now.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrotes View Post
This. I use the custom fan profile and as soon as my cards hit 80 the fan speed is at 100 its loud but it works
My 6870 is set up to run at 25% fan speed through 55C and then increase to 40% at 65C, go to 50% at 80C and then dive straight up to 100 at 85C. Obviously it is all gradual but I haven't even reached 80C outside of Furmark.

Back on-topic, that is really weird that you have your fan profiles set and it is still reaching that high. Not much else I can suggest, other than 1. change slots, 2. try swapping the gpu's to see if for some reason one is worse at cooling, or 3. find a way to get more cool air into your case, although for a HAF-X your airflow should already be stellar.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
10C higher on the top card is totally normal, esp. with cards that don't do external exhaust. 15C is a bit high, 20C is definitely out of line. Although I'm basing this on having at least one totally empty space between the cards. If there's not, even 20C is not totally out of line ... troublesome, to be sure, but not that extreme.

You mentioned all three temp differences, so ... which one is it? Are you running your tests at full-screen, on games/tests that definitely support SLI?

As mentioned try switching the two cards, maybe one is better at cooling than the other.

Also, do the green dots you refer to go away at the stock voltage?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:

also when i try stressing the gpu's with kombuster, its only stresses each about 50 % give or take. aren't both suppose to be at 99-100?
Download Furmark instead. Does a much better job stressing the GPU's and will show you what temperatures you should expect to see as maximums, although the chances of ever reaching that would be very slim.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibfreeekout View Post
Download Furmark instead. Does a much better job stressing the GPU's and will show you what temperatures you should expect to see as maximums, although the chances of ever reaching that would be very slim.
isnt kombustor basically furmark?

crysis had the biggest gap in temps, almost 20. this is at fullscreen. sorry for jumping around.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:

isnt kombustor basically furmark?

crysis had the biggest gap in temps, almost 20. this is at fullscreen. sorry for jumping around.
To be honest I guess I should have stated I've never used Kombustor...However I just ran Furmark for about 3 hours today and my 6870 was running at 95-100% then entire time. Honestly if none of those work you could always install [email protected] GPU3 and let that run for a bit to see what temperatures you are getting XD

·
Banned
9 Posts
If you have a one card spacing in between, it will be a lot better. If you can mount a fan on the side panel, that'll really help you.

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
Your OP is a bit confusing on which is the top card and which is the bottom card. Overall the card that is the top is usually the hotter one. However if you have multimonitor system the ones that are connected with two monitors will also be hot/hotter one. Thirdly the reason why Gigabyte 470s sometimes artifact is that they don't give them enough juice out of the box sometimes. To fix it just bump up your voltage a bit and it usually goes away after.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts