Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can somebody explain whats the difference between the two and which one is better?

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Crossfire is faster (When paired with top of the line ATI cards) and runs on the beautiful 975X Intel chipset. It is superior. SLI (Nvidia video cards only)runs on the Nvidia chipset which is inferior to the 975. You can run custom SLI video drivers to make SLI work on the 975...but there are no guarantees it will work. <br />
<br />
In another 4 months or so, Nvidia will release the new 6XX series SLI chipset. Then, maybe, SLI will be better than Crossfire. Who knows.

·
Registered
463 Posts
From what I understand, when using SLI mode, the GPU's split the screen in half and one card processes the top half and the other card processes the bottom half of the screen in sync with each other. In Crossfire mode, the GPU's alternate on each frame, so they are constantly processing every other frame. Expl, card one takes care of frame 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. while card 2 handles frame 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.<br />
<br />
As far as which is better, that is harder to say but SLI has been around a little longer so you have more motherboard options then Crossfire offers. Also, Nvidia and ATI cards have always had their pros' and cons' against each other so it really is a matter of which you like better. Both Nvidia and ATI perform better at different games, just read some of the benchmark reviews for the different types of cards and you will see the difference. <br />
<br />
Hope this helps, I know it is not too specific about which is better but that is kind of a hard question, especially with DX10 cards right around the corner.

·
Old school
14,377 Posts
If you play COD (Call of Duty) 2 1950 Pro's in Crossfire give a nice boost, which is a "cheap" Crossfire solution.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
X1950XTX Crossfire is currently the fastest setup on the market, the GDDR4 on those cards really helps in multi GPU configurations, allowing it to outperform nVidia's 7900GTX SLI and Quad SLI.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>HrnyGoat</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">X1950XTX Crossfire is currently the fastest setup on the market, the GDDR4 on those cards really helps in multi GPU configurations, allowing it to outperform nVidia's 7900GTX SLI and Quad SLI.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
Agree... also, this should be a voting thread.

·
Registered
230 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>bioniccrackmonk</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">From what I understand, when using SLI mode, the GPU's split the screen in half and one card processes the top half and the other card processes the bottom half of the screen in sync with each other. In Crossfire mode, the GPU's alternate on each frame, so they are constantly processing every other frame. Expl, card one takes care of frame 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. while card 2 handles frame 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.<br></div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I'm not too familliar with crossfire but with SLi, you can choose between several different multi-gpu rendering modes. You can do split-screen rendering which is the way you first described, with top half being 1 card, and bottom half being other card, or alternate-frame rendering, where each card is doing every other frame. There is also another alternate frame rendering 2 which gives some performance difference in some applications. I just leave mine on auto usually and it picks the best.<br><br>
Performance wise I think both xfire and sli they are producing similar results on benches, with almost double the performance over 1 card at ultra high resolutions....but nvidia drivers have been given more time to mature. With either crossfire or sli, you really only need to think about it if your using a monitor 21"+ really that does 1600x1200 or more resolution. Anything less than that and you won't see much benefit from multi-gpu setups. Games are unplayable to me with max eye candy and 4xaa 16xaf with 1 7900gtx at 1920x1200, but after adding another it's running better than 1 would have at 1280x1024.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts