Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I couldn't find much information on this on google.

So basically my problem is that I currently have a 256 bit GTX 460 1gb card that I purchased from the EVGA b-stock. I got some money for my birthday, and I thought I might add another card for SLI. I looked on the b-stock and sadly they aren't selling gtx 460's it seems. But, I looked on newegg and they have 192 bit graphics card for a nice price (I don't want to be paying $180 for a new card..).

I was just wondering if a 192 bit gtx 460 1gb would work with a 256 bit 1gb card. If it does, will there be a performance hit and if so how bad is it?

Thanks.

·
!
9,170 Posts
Nope that is a completely different card and, from what I've heard, chip as well. It will not SLI, to SLI with your 460 1gb 256bit you would need another 460 1gb 256bit, namely a 460v1 1gb 256bit not a 460v2 1gb 192bit. Thank nVidia for that, they choose to have like 6 different SKUs for the 460 (and 560 too for that matter) none of which can SLI with anything but the exact same card and in many cases it's difficult to tell what you have or what you are buying. You can watch for the correct 460 for sale used in the OCN marketplace.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
You can run SLI with any of the first generation 256bit bus GTX 460 cards, but to get the actual part that you have, you can check on the back of the card or the box, it will have a sticker with the part number.

·
!
9,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyRory View Post

How would I figure out what I have?
Here's a gpu-z screen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juano View Post

Nope that is a completely different card and, from what I've heard, chip as well. It will not SLI, to SLI with your 460 1gb 256bit you would need another 460 1gb 256bit, namely a 460v1 1gb 256bit not a 460v2 1gb 192bit. Thank nVidia for that, they choose to have like 6 different SKUs for the 460 (and 560 too for that matter) none of which can SLI with anything but the exact same card and in many cases it's difficult to tell what you have or what you are buying. You can watch for the correct 460 for sale used in the OCN marketplace.
in addition you also want to avoid the gtx 460 SE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts