Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below is a picture of my current setup with 2 x 480MM Haredware Labs GTR and a 420MM Hwardware Labs GTR. On the rear, there's space for a 240MM slim (30mm or thinner) Rad or I can put a 120mm Thick (60MM) radiator on the bottom of the two fans and install a second fan for push pull on the rad. What do you guys think? Was trying trying to fill all the spaces with rads!

·
Registered
759 Posts
More radiator surface usually wins over radiator thickness. Especially if your prefer silence and don't let fans ramp up about 1500rpm.
Have a look here: http://www.xtremerigs.net/2016/02/15/hardware-labs-nemesis-280gts-radiator-review/5/

This is for the 280mm rads, but it should be the same case for 240mm rads. A thick GTX (which is close in performance to a GTR), isn't twice as good as the 280 GTS.
I'd say go a 240mm radiator over a thick 120mm :)

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,207 Posts
The 240 will provide significantly more heat dissipation provided we are talking equal quality rads - i.e. HWL 240 GTS vs 120 GTX. If you are comparing a really bad performing slim 240 like an EK SE series to a 120mm GTR, that could be a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you want more rad space buy another 480 x2 tray and replace the top 420 with 2 360s. I would not recommend a radiator on the back simply because it will cover too much of that beautiful Rampage VI.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Below is a picture of my current setup with 2 x 480MM Haredware Labs GTR and a 420MM Hwardware Labs GTR. On the rear, there's space for a 240MM slim (30mm or thinner) Rad or I can put a 120mm Thick (60MM) radiator on the bottom of the two fans and install a second fan for push pull on the rad. What do you guys think? Was trying trying to fill all the spaces with rads!

Adding another rad to your existing 2*480+420 rad will not improve temps , in fact it will be worse . More resistance in the loop. U have much more rad space already than u need.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More radiator surface usually wins over radiator thickness. Especially if your prefer silence and don't let fans ramp up about 1500rpm.
Have a look here: http://www.xtremerigs.net/2016/02/15/hardware-labs-nemesis-280gts-radiator-review/5/

This is for the 280mm rads, but it should be the same case for 240mm rads. A thick GTX (which is close in performance to a GTR), isn't twice as good as the 280 GTS.
I'd say go a 240mm radiator over a thick 120mm :)
Well if they made the LL 120 Fans faster then 1500 RPM, I would have gone with that also! haha but thank you, was looking into the GTS and need to make sure the measurements work because it's so freaking tight in there!

The 240 will provide significantly more heat dissipation provided we are talking equal quality rads - i.e. HWL 240 GTS vs 120 GTX. If you are comparing a really bad performing slim 240 like an EK SE series to a 120mm GTR, that could be a whole different ball game.
Yeah was seeing that the ST30 might be a contender for the measurements I have.

If you want more rad space buy another 480 x2 tray and replace the top 420 with 2 360s. I would not recommend a radiator on the back simply because it will cover too much of that beautiful Rampage VI.
But that means my side panel won't go on propery since the top is a single tray solution... guessI could do that lol.

Adding another rad to your existing 2*480+420 rad will not improve temps , in fact it will be worse . More resistance in the loop. U have much more rad space already than u need.
Have Dual D5 in Serial, could add another D5 into the loop. What you think?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fits perfect for me? I have not started my build yet but I do not see any issues with putting the side panel back on.

https://imgur.com/a/KUChBJs
Wow must be super tired, didnt know that would work. What kind of rads are you planning on putting in? Hmm might get that and seeif I can stick another two 480mm GTR into them. Just wish I could do push pull on the top but the front clearance barely works out. Did you get that directly from corsair?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow must be super tired, didnt know that would work. What kind of rads are you planning on putting in? Hmm might get that and seeif I can stick another two 480mm GTR into them. Just wish I could do push pull on the top but the front clearance barely works out. Did you get that directly from corsair?
Yup, bought it direct from corsair! https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Obsidian-1000D-8x-120mm-Fan-Tray/p/CC-8900160

I'll be running 2 360's on top and 2 480's in the front using HW GTX Extreme rads.

480's up top do not look possible with 480's in the front.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, bought it direct from corsair! https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Obsidian-1000D-8x-120mm-Fan-Tray/p/CC-8900160

I'll be running 2 360's on top and 2 480's in the front using HW GTX Extreme rads.

480's up top do not look possible with 480's in the front.

Thanks! Awww not with the GTX. Correct me if I'm wrong but the GTX has overall thickness of 55.7mm while the GTR has a thickness of 54.7mm. It's hard to see but my top 420mm GTR fan's has less then 1mm clearance between that and the pull fans on the front 480mm radiator. So assuming there's no flex and everything fits perfectly, it might just work out actually with the GTR but not the GTX.

Don't know how wide the GTX is at the moment but if it's wider then my GTR, your going to have a hard time installing both on the front.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well if they made the LL 120 Fans faster then 1500 RPM, I would have gone with that also!
Well you COULD overvolt them but you will only get a minimal increase in RPM for a big increase in fan noise and reduced bearing life, probably not a good idea unless its a very shot-term thing to run a benchmark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks! Awww not with the GTX. Correct me if I'm wrong but the GTX has overall thickness of 55.7mm while the GTR has a thickness of 54.7mm. It's hard to see but my top 420mm GTR fan's has less then 1mm clearance between that and the pull fans on the front 480mm radiator. So assuming there's no flex and everything fits perfectly, it might just work out actually with the GTR but not the GTX.

Don't know how wide the GTX is at the moment but if it's wider then my GTR, your going to have a hard time installing both on the front.
I had a feeling width would be an issue so I went with the L-series which are 120mm wide vs 133mm of a normal GTX. http://www.performance-pcs.com/black-ice-nemesis-l-series-360-xtreme-radiator.html

The L-series version is 53.7mm thick. I think a normal GTX is right at 54mm.

I'm going push only so I'll have a bit more room to work with. Current plan like I said is dual 360's on top and dual 480's in the front.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had feeling width would be an issue so I went with the L-series which are 120mm wide vs 133mm of a normal GTX. http://www.performance-pcs.com/black-ice-nemesis-l-series-360-xtreme-radiator.html

The L-series version is 53.7mm thick. I think a normal GTX is right at 54mm.

I am going push only so I'll have a bit more room to work with.
Hate to admit it but had to jam the two GTR in the front together to fit. Can’t see it and good thing the rads don’t leak but it was definitely not a clean install!

Btw thanks for the link and letting me know the top supports the dual 480mm tray, I’m going to take out the 420mm and cram dual 480mm for quad 480mm rad!

Man now have to decide if I should go with a 30mm rad and push/pull setup or a 55mm rad with push !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts