Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a question regarding my setup. Currently I have a couple Scyth Slip Steams on my Swiftech 2x120 radiator. I figured high cfm would work the best, but after a bit of reading about this 'static pressure' mumbojumbo I'm questioning the performance I'm seeing.

So, without recommending me any other fans, unless 120 thins, I'm talking specifically about the Slip Stream compared to this specific Yate Loon 120x20mm fan:
Yate Loon 120x20mm
versus
Slip Steam

The reason I'm looking at that fan in particular, is I hear Yate's are supposed to have some very good static pressure compared to the Slip Steam, and as is with the Slip Steams, my graphics card nearly rests on top of them so I need a little extra clearance for some airflow, that's why I am looking at the thinner Yate's.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The name slipstream tells you that the air pushed is "slippery", not high on static pressure. Think of them like the aerodynamics on an F1 car, the fans are designed to push air that will just keep going. For a rad, you need the air to stay around the radiator for longer, rather than just going straight through it as this would have very little effect.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
i would take a look at this before making your choice.

The S-Flex fans would be a better choice than any of the fans you posted

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronb33
View Post

The name slipstream tells you that the air pushed is "slippery", not high on static pressure. Think of them like the aerodynamics on an F1 car, the fans are designed to push air that will just keep going. For a rad, you need the air to stay around the radiator for longer, rather than just going straight through it as this would have very little effect.

I know this, that was why I am asking about these other fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa.Smurf
View Post

i would take a look at this before making your choice.

The S-Flex fans would be a better choice than any of the fans you posted

Yes the S-Flex are better than Slip Stream, but they are not 120x20mm or anything slim at all, which would make them useless if my graphics card is sitting on top of them.

Thanks for the comments, but my question is still unanswered.

Again, would the Yate Loon 120x20mm that I linked above, be more efficient than the Slip Steam I have?

·
HEC Club
13,595 Posts
Both would suck equally about, but the Yate Loons will be louder and probably cheaper.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx
View Post

May I ask why you would want to get only 20mm deep fans?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChurchofVirus
View Post

...I need a little extra clearance for some airflow, that's why I am looking at the thinner Yate's...

Reading comprehension ftw.

·
HEC Club
13,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfryery
View Post

Reading comprehension ftw.

It might be a case of selective conditioning/discrimination. Take my case for instance, when I hear things like Thermaltake, Zalman, Koolance, or Slipstreams in the same sentence as water cooling, I am "conditioned" to feel a sense of disgust ranging anywhere from annoyed confusion to nausea. Maybe he is conditioned when reading Slipstream to simply ignore everything else.

·
Premium Member
16,528 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob
View Post

It might be a case of selective conditioning/discrimination. Take my case for instance, when I hear things like Thermaltake, Zalman, Koolance, or Slipstreams in the same sentence as water cooling, I am "conditioned" to feel a sense of disgust ranging anywhere from annoyed confusion to nausea. Maybe he is conditioned when reading Slipstream to simply ignore everything else.

im the same anymore. i hate slip streams.

but why not get some medium speed yates. or fans like s flexs

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by javier
View Post

I'm really confused... the slipstreams you have on there are 25mm deep, therefore you can only replace them with 20mm deep fans? Why not just replace them with fans that are the same size??

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChurchofVirus
View Post

The reason I'm looking at that fan in particular, is I hear Yate's are supposed to have some very good static pressure compared to the Slip Steam, and as is with the Slip Steams, my graphics card nearly rests on top of them so I need a little extra clearance for some airflow, that's why I am looking at the thinner Yate's.

Thanks in advance.

Lern2Read

·
Registered
468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonorously View Post
Lern2Read
Follow along with me, I don't wanna lose you again...

The Slipstreams fit. - Fact
The slipstreams are 120mm wide by 25mm deep. - Fact
THEREFORE
Any 120mm wide by 25mm deep fan will fit. - Fact

Asking for static pressure out of a thin fan is just unreasonable. Even with less clearance I'll bet my house that any reasonable 25mm fan (yate loon, scythe s-flex, zalman zm-f3, etc) will produce more pressure, better temps, and do it quieter than any thin fan. So again, do you NEED to use thin fans, or do you think they might work better? If you don't need them, they wont be better so my suggestion is to go with something proven...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've changed from 8800's to 285's, and the resulting card size change has created an issue for me and I'm trying to find a reasonable fix until I can fully solve the issue. The 8800's covered a small area of my radiator fans, but not to the extent that they would majorly hinder airflow. With me now going SLI with my 285's and the much larger cards, I'm faced with a card nearly covering the radiator fans, ruining airflow for the radiator and the graphics card. Going with a slimmer fan mainly will ease this issue for me until, again like I mentioned, I can fully solve the problem. Since I knew the issue, I found the Yate 120x20's and was wondering how the performance of those fans(which got positve feedback in the Xtremesystems link given earlier in this thread) compared to the Slip Stream. Wondering if anyone else had specific input to these Yate fans, I came here and asked for additional input.

If 120x25 was a viable option for what's going on, I would surely go with those, but as I need a fix for my specific situation for the time being, I need to approach it in a different manner and not get the best 120mm fans for radiators. I'm not going for ultimate performance as it's not an option at this time. I didn't ask for what fans were the best, I know what fans are the best.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts