Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a X2 4400+ with an Asus A8V mobo. I don't remember off the top of my head what type of memory or graphics card I'm runnin (I'm at work), but I know it is 3 GB of memory, I think corsair 3200's. My computer, even after a clean install of XPSP2 is slow as dirt, expecially during the bootup. I have a 2Ghz laptop that is 4 years old the boots up in 1/4 the time. I am wondering if I should upgrade my mobo to get better results. Please let me know what you think, and if you think I should upgrade, then let me know what you think I should get.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Kindly fill in your System Specs (User CP above) so we can better assist you.

More than anything Hard Drives are what make or break load time. You should run some SW utility for HDDs like HD tune or HD Speed that will give you a S.M.A.R.T. nreport on the overall health of your drive. When a drive starts getting bad sectors it relocates them to otehr physical areas making seek time critical.

If you have an older drive it may be worthwhile upgrading that first. Having a spanky new motherboard and a decrepit drive still=long load time.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AARDVARCUS
View Post

Hello and welcome. Please fill out your system specs so that we can help better. My question is what kind of hard drive do you have? Boot time is mainly based on the hard drive...

yeah and if its an IDE check if you have an 80 conductor cable....(with an 40 conductor transferrate is lowered) also, is you're cpu slamming into 100% when in windows?...... (the SP2 issue)?

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

Kindly fill in your System Specs (User CP above) so we can better assist you.

We don't like it when people do it rudely...

It sounds to me like you have an error between the RAM and HDD. Fill in your specs so we can get a better idea of what you are working with. Be aware that some BIOS versions can cause instabilities. Update your motherboard BIOS, if possible.

Quote:

Hello and welcome. Please fill out your system specs so that we can help better. My question is what kind of hard drive do you have? Boot time is mainly based on the hard drive...

Almost perfect, It's the transfer from the HDD to the RAM, which AMD uses a lot of the CPU for.

Maybe the CPU or RAM is unstable. Have you overclocked?

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KSIMP88
View Post

We don't like it when people do it rudely...

It sounds to me like you have an error between the RAM and HDD. Fill in your specs so we can get a better idea of what you are working with. Be aware that some BIOS versions can cause instabilities. Update your motherboard BIOS, if possible.

Almost perfect, It's the transfer from the HDD to the RAM, which AMD uses a lot of the CPU for.

Maybe the CPU or RAM is unstable. Have you overclocked?

I have noticed that--coming from years of Intel CPUs I have found that even having the RAM in the "wrong" arrangement of slots can be an issue and create instability...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I updated most of the specs, from what I can remember, and I'll do the rest tomorrow when I get home. I am almost positive that I am running a Maxtor that is no more than at max 2 years old (but I think newer than that, 200GB+) How do you know about the IDE cable? The RAM is in the three slots closest to the CPU (IIIO). Unless drivers/bois have come out in the past month or so then I have the most recent. Any other questions?

::edit::It is not currently OC'ed. I had it OC'ed at one point, but I took it off. Don't remember why.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RuSo
View Post

its all about speed here.........and i once had..a pentium2..ahem, system that could use every boost there was.....

I ment how would I know. Which type of cable it is.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FFEMTcJ
View Post

I ment how would I know. Which type of cable it is.

the wires should be thinner than that of the cdrom, if you really wanna be sure count them......lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RuSo
View Post

the wires should be thinner than that of the cdrom, if you really wanna be sure count them......lol

I don't remember if it is or not. LOL.. I guess I will have a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well I think some of the Asus boards have an IDE system managed thing or something when you install the chipset drivers...And another thing is the "enable" the IDE DMA transfer thing too...some are by default disabled in the bios...I set up an A8V for a customer a couple months ago and had a couple issues similar...But I can't remember exactly all the settings...I think one more might have been the IDE prefetch...maybe..

·
Registered
485 Posts
Overall performances are slow or only the boot time ? I had a great success with that board you are running but i was using SATA drives in Raid 0 ..

I'm curious to see if it's not the ram, i'd try to take off one stick and run 2 sticks in dual-channel ( same colored slots )

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHaCK View Post
Overall performances are slow or only the boot time ? I had a great success with that board you are running but i was using SATA drives in Raid 0 ..

I'm curious to see if it's not the ram, i'd try to take off one stick and run 2 sticks in dual-channel ( same colored slots )
Boot time is the main problem.. And shutdown/reboot. Stupid question, but why would taking out a memory stick help?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Can't supply you with an indepth answer but with 3 sticks you should have 2 running in dual-channel and the 3rd one alone, informations are being passed very fast between the two sticks in dual-channel but the 3rd stick is just bottlenecking the first two.. sorry, i'm bad at explaining stuff. But it's worth a try i guess, taking out a stick takes 1min

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.