Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. My network is having some issues with browsing. Sites are randomly taking a while to load or sometimes will not load at all. However when I try downloading something I'll typically get 700k+ (steam, etc).

The slow browsing affects all pc's on my network. I'm guessing it's probably a router issue? I have a Cisco-Linksys WRT160N-RM and I'm using DD-WRT. I also have Google as my DNS Lookup.

The firmware for the router is about 4 months old but the router was working flawlessly up until around 3 weeks ago.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
could be the dns routing through google, hows your isp's dns routing?

Could also be ram filling up in the router - or a 9 year old that likes torrenting random **** (this happened at a clients house) the client was rather confused after I determined why her wow raiding connections were experiencing lag, it was due to her 9 year old son running torrent traffic un capped on her connection haha.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I switched it a while back as comcast's dns lookup seemed to be slow. When I made the switch I could tell google's seemed quicker. I guess it would not hurt to switch it back and see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It could even be issues with DDWRT, my bro had ddwrt loaded on his router and one day it just tried to brick his router - he ended up getting really lucky and using a random tool to de-brick it. he said for the last week before it locked up his internet connection was running really slow for no apparent reason.. now hes back to linksys default and working great.

I have had a super great experience using ddwrt on my WRT45G router though!

definitely switch your dns routing back and see if thats any faster.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was having issues with the default software. Random disconnects on pc's, constant buffering on streaming media, etc. It turned out this was a common issue with this router and most everyone had good success with dd-wrt installed.

·
Banned
2,902 Posts
When the desktop is sat at idle (all internet reliant programs halted/closed) open task manager by right clicking on the task bar. Move to the Networking tab and watch for any network activity. If there is anything above 1% then there is spyware/malware doing things you dont want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.