Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have been paying for some "ELITE" service from AT&T, or SBC Global (one of them)

I have been downloading things, and I have never seen a download reach 1mb/s.

I am wondering if anyone can help me, I have been living with it, but it really is starting to piss me off.

I will answer any questions you got for me.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I know if you called them, they will say they just checked your line and everything looks ok on their end.
Which we all know is not true.
I steer clients away from AT&T and tell them to go with cable, or anything but not DSL.
Faster speeds bottom line.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, I am sure they will...

It's just internet is cheapish with them, I think $30-$60...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyDave
View Post

OK, I have been paying for some "ELITE" service from AT&T, or SBC Global (one of them)

I have been downloading things, and I have never seen a download reach 1mb/s.

I am wondering if anyone can help me, I have been living with it, but it really is starting to piss me off.

I will answer any questions you got for me.

So, what are you getting?

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
There are many factors that come into play here. It's not like they have a bandwidth switch and they just think it's funny to keep it on low. If it's DSL then you need to think about how far away you are from the local exchange, this is where they house the DSLAMS. You also need to think about the age and type of cabling inside your home. If it's older 4 wire telephone wire, you may want to think about switch to CAT5e. If you're on cable have the line tested going into your house and at the modem. If you have a large drop in power ratings it's time to reconsider your cable layout. Coaxial cable for TV/Internet/Phone should be RG6U. You should only have one splitter box. If you have 8 outlets in your home, you have a 8 way splitter. No two 4 way splitters.

A lot of people try to blame the telco or cable company when it's actually the poor wiring in their own home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts