Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got 2 250's today and a promise raid controller. The speed is faster than before but when i bench the drives, I get 98.2MB/s burst o.0 When I benchmark my other sata drives the burst speed is faster. My max read speed is only 90MB/s also, on the array. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
what kind of drives? that does seem kinda low i get 120 with a single drive and 200 with 2 in raid on my crappy ULI controller. what stripe size are you using? check the bios (and raid bios to make sure you have everything set up right) lastly if your drives are sata 300 even if your promise controller only supports sata 150 it's usually good to take the jumper off that tells it to slow to 150, you will get better speeds that way and if your controller spases out you can always just put the jumper back on.

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Yep that is waaay too slow, my 2x Samsung Spinponts achieve 332.5Mb/s burst rate using my onboard RAID controller.

·

29,532 Posts
I think that's normal when RAIDed, but y'all say it's wrong, wth?

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaCeR123
View Post

What kind of hdd benchmark are ya'll using?

HDTach.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i duno im using hdtach and stripe size is 64kb. I have not touched the drive jumpers and the bios is up to date on the raid card.
Any ideas? This is bugging me lol

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
My stripe size is on 128k for best performance, and i use HDTach

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Remove the jumpers on both hard disks, create a new array and set it as 128k stipe size. You will see vastly improved results....

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I honestly don't know what to tell ya.

Not to jack your thread but how is this score? is this normal for raid 0

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
It's an OK result.....though the Samsung Drives i have are bloody fast and they only have 8MB Cache on each. Who needs Raptors and 16Mb cache? lol

The usual problem for low speeds is a crap RAID Controller or not setting 128k as the stripe size, or having rubbish drives in the 1st place. Plus smaller hd always perform better than larger ones. Also remember to remove the jumpers off the hd's to enable SATA300 if your controller supports it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, i re did everything. Same results, maxed at 100MB/s. I guess it is the pci car d that can't go faster than 100?
If its not normal than i don't get why 100 would be the limit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts