Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
It’s 54-inches, it’s plasma, it’s just 1-inch thick and it’s got wireless HDMI - are you really all that surprised that the Panasonic Z1 Plasma HDTV is expensive? Early pricing for the Panasonic TC-P54Z1 suggests it’ll cost a cool $5,999.95 when it begins shipping in June.

For that $6k you get 54-inches of Full HD 1080p, a native contrast ratio of 40,000:1, 24Hz Cinematic Playback and THX Certification. There’s also Neo PDP low-energy panel technology (you’ll probably want to save on power bills after shelling out for the set) and included speakers and stand.

The wireless HDMI box - which is included with the Z1 - not only funnels video and audio from your DVD, Blu-ray or Media Center PC to the HDTV, but has VIERA Link Internet connectivity and a VIERA Link SD card reader too. That all means that the only cable required to your new wall-mounted $6k Panasonic is the one providing power.
source

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Actually that isn't a bad price. I thought it was going to be like 10k

·
Registered
422 Posts
not bad of a price, give it a few years and the price will drop

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
the price is extremely reasonable for the new and latest technology in the tv market. if it was sony then $10,000 would be expected for an opening price, but then again if it was a sony it would be garbage lol. very nice product but im sorry there is no match for a cable and plasma seriously needs to go away.

another quick note, all the current technologies came out at that price mark (dlp, plasma, and lcd).

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
OK, I'm impressed. And 6k is a great price.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Guys

Quote:

24Hz
Cinematic Playback

Isn't that kinda low? I thought 120hz was supposed to be the new standard because its much clearer

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX
View Post

Guys

Isn't that kinda low? I thought 120hz was supposed to be the new standard because its much clearer

Most films in the theater are rendered at either 24 or 48 fps. The 24hz feature is for "authentic" playback of movie titles. It can be turned on or off, you aren't stuck with a 24hz display.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yeah most Sony TVs have a "Theater" option which toggles the 24hz option.

It's one of the large differences between large commercial-scale movies and home videos. Many of us are used to the 24hz rate while normal camcorders record at a faster rate.

·
Registered
590 Posts
That thing is SICK and in this case I think the price tag is appropriate.

As for the plasma comment... wth? More accurate color, deeper blacks... so long as you're not facing it to windows, what's the problem?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
then you havent looked at a true dlp, far out classes the plasma in picture quality

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Define a True DLP. Mitsubishi Diamond series? I've seen many models of Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP's (Minus the Diamond) and tbh their pictures are dark and not that great. The best picture i have seen on ANY TV is without a doubt the Pioneer Kuro Plasma Line.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
NO wireless power? What's the point of wireless HDMI if you still gotta plug the thing in?

·
Registered
169 Posts
its not 24hz. its 24p. 24 frames per second. displayed on a monitor with 120hz. the whole reason behind switching from 60hz to 120hz, is that 24p actually divides evenly into it, so that you dont have to have dropped/skipped frames. on a 60hz monitor, there is some motion and weirdness because it doesn't display each frame the same number of times a cycle. remember that traditional tv is 29.97fps or essentially 30p.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
DLP is supposed to be a dark image. it is designed for cinema not for regular tv or video games. the clarity and color depth on a high end samsung dlp will beat a plasma by far. i find it hard to justify spending $6,000 on a tv that cannot produce true black. as well as you cannot repair a plasma or lcd as any decent repair would cost more than the tv itself, where as a dlp is highly and easily fixable. overall performance and lifespan = DLP, there is no exception.

as far as dlp brands Samsung is at the top of the game and has always been. they have sunk fortunes into improving the technology. Mitsubishi is in a very close 2nd and pretty much everyone else has dropped the technology.

also wireless hdmi???? ok so it may be better picture then a component av cable but a dvi cable will put out a better image, gaurenteed.

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magariz
View Post

DLP is supposed to be a dark image. it is designed for cinema not for regular tv or video games. the clarity and color depth on a high end samsung dlp will beat a plasma by far. i find it hard to justify spending $6,000 on a tv that cannot produce true black. as well as you cannot repair a plasma or lcd as any decent repair would cost more than the tv itself, where as a dlp is highly and easily fixable. overall performance and lifespan = DLP, there is no exception.

as far as dlp brands Samsung is at the top of the game and has always been. they have sunk fortunes into improving the technology. Mitsubishi is in a very close 2nd and pretty much everyone else has dropped the technology.

also wireless hdmi???? ok so it may be better picture then a component av cable but a dvi cable will put out a better image, gaurenteed.

I fail to see how dvi can output a better picture when it's digital. either the picture is there or it's not. a 0 is always a 0 and a 1 is always a 1. HDMI and DVI both send digital signals.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
I fail to see how dvi can output a better picture when it's digital. either the picture is there or it's not. a 0 is always a 0 and a 1 is always a 1. HDMI and DVI both send digital signals.
have you ever used a wireless product and compared it to a wired version of the same caliber? its a night and day difference. same reason why wireless audio is a waiste of money. also hook that up to a quality wired home theater system and you will most likely have a delay in picture to your sound. have fun adjusting your timings for all the speakers to the delay in your tv. wireless < wired by far!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts