Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose some of you guys didn't make the switch to pci express (yet). I wait only for the AM2 soket to show up and I will change all mb/cpu/ram and the video card.
Untill then, my newcastle 2800 will do a good job, it didn't reach its full potential yet (64 bit isn't very well supported by the software developers), so I don't see the point in upgrading to 939 right now.

After a small discution on this forum I saw that the AGP platform isn't that well supported by the video card fabricants. I've recently purchased Age of Empires 3 and I've seen a trully some stunning graphic details. I even borowed a 6600GT from a friend to see how it looks on SM3.0 and I saw was a huge difference in video quality: the water transparency, the shadows, it looked great. My super o/c-ed 5700le (470/480) supports only 2.0 shaders and it can't render the same video quality.

Here is the thing: I really want a sm3.0 capable graphic card, but the offer is kinda limited: 6600DDR2, 6600GT, 6800XT, 6800GS, 7800GS and x1600pro. I've excluded the cards that are nearly impossible to find or that can't put up a decent framerate at least in 1024/748.

I thaught about the 6800XT cause it can be softmodded at least in a 6800GS (12p x 6v) maybe even in a 6800 ultra or the x1600pro because of the avivo marchitecture, but it'k kinda slow. I'd like to play at 1024res everything until autumn, maybe some aa/af.

What's your oppinion? What's the best choice out there? (and why ati doesn't produce a quality mainstream agp board???)

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Before you base your decision on SM3.0, are you sure you were comparing apples to apples? Resolution,video settings,AA and AF filtering,etc?

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I was playing on 1024/768 no aa/af since my 5700le is preety lame and doesn't give a decent fps at higher res. This is also the best res I have on my 15"CRT. I didn't change the res/aa/af after I installed the 6600.

It seems to look better on sm3.0. Don't you think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wait a week or two for the price of the 6800 Ultra to go down in price. The 7800GS should be available either today or on monday. Price wise i think that its going to be 350 so it will drive the 6800U in turn down in price. Just something to consider.

aya

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayanami

haha didnt realize sccr was from washington. best of luck in the superbowl

Oh ya!
I'll be downtown if/when we win Sunday. This town will turn upside down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts