Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PSU is seasonic focus gold 850w, It have fanless mod. Today when I turn fan on, It start having some kind of clicking sound. When I set my fans to 600 rpm and just read webs, then clicking sound are noticeable and annoying. But when I set my fans to 900 rpm, and then play PUBG, the clicking sound are negligible. The same sound was heard when I play diablo 3 without turn psu fan on, but the clicking sound are intermittent. I thought It was came from graphic card. But the sound are really similar, now I believe it came from psu as well. I have no idea why. So do I need to return or exchange my psu?

·
waifu for lifu
11,544 Posts
The last time i heard odd sounds coming from my psu...it blow up a few weeks later. It was an old unit by the time i heard those noises. Sounds like a defect.

·
13,096 Posts
If you are still within the warranty, just get the PSU replaced, once you attempt to fix it yourself, you void your warranty.

Now saying that, from your explanation, it does sound more like potentially a bad fan that clicks more at lower speeds. If you have your PC on idle and the fan on the PSU is running slowly and clicking, grab a drinking straw and just poke it though to stop the fan spinning, if the clicking stops, then the fan is likely the issue. The fan will start back up again after.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

The last time i heard odd sounds coming from my psu...it blow up a few weeks later. It was an old unit by the time i heard those noises. Sounds like a defect.
Well, mine is new. It shouldn't gone that way.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

If you are still within the warranty, just get the PSU replaced, once you attempt to fix it yourself, you void your warranty.

Now saying that, from your explanation, it does sound more like potentially a bad fan that clicks more at lower speeds. If you have your PC on idle and the fan on the PSU is running slowly and clicking, grab a drinking straw and just poke it though to stop the fan spinning, if the clicking stops, then the fan is likely the issue. The fan will start back up again after.
Yeah, I just install it on about 2 weeks ago. feel too annoy to return a component after finish a build computer. Hopefully, it is just a psu rather than a motherboard.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I just got the 850w seasonic also off newegg. What a deal!

Anyways mine clicks to. Only when I turn the pc on and off and when I press the hybrid fan mode. I can hear it. Maybe it's normal. My evga didn't do that. And neither does my other computers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5151 View Post

Anyways mine clicks to. Only when I turn the pc on and off and when I press the hybrid fan mode. I can hear it. Maybe it's normal. My evga didn't do that. And neither does my other computers.
That was what I afraid clicking sound is normal for this unit.
sadsmiley.gif
Mine isn't that worse, when my pc are fully working with hybrid mode, it couldn't be heard or the clicking sound won't exist if the hybrid mode is off. I would hope the noise is the only problem.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hello dota2er,

Thank you for your different message and sorry for this issue.
If the fan is clicking at low rpm, please, give a try to stop it for one or two seconds to see if you still have the sound. If yes, kindly contact your reseller and ask for a replacement. It shouldn't happen so it may be the fan having an issue. Better to exchange your PSU.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused.
Best Regards,
Quote:

Hello kd5151,

I may suggest to check your fan but you have this sound when PC is ON and OFF (use the hybrid mode for this to make sure), it's most probably the relay of your PSU and this is not unuasual or harmful.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dota2er View Post

My PSU is seasonic focus gold 850w, It have fanless mod. Today when I turn fan on, It start having some kind of clicking sound. When I set my fans to 600 rpm and just read webs, then clicking sound are noticeable and annoying. But when I set my fans to 900 rpm, and then play PUBG, the clicking sound are negligible. The same sound was heard when I play diablo 3 without turn psu fan on, but the clicking sound are intermittent. I thought It was came from graphic card. But the sound are really similar, now I believe it came from psu as well. I have no idea why. So do I need to return or exchange my psu?
just RMA it... no need for clicking. I don't care what it's from and if it's me... shouldn't have to fix it...
RMA & close thread [email protected]@@!!!!
Quote:

and same for you.. RMA it... be done and move on.. yeah it's inconvenient but will only get worse and who the hell knows, if it ever goes and takes out other components....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts