Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a Lian Li PC-a05nb case, one of the smaller full ATX cases about. I recently just got an Asus Maxiumus Gene V micro-ATX motherboard. I've been using the stock Intel HSF for the first few weeks, but I think I want to over-clock slightly, so I'm thinking of trading up for a better cooler.

I keep reading reviews of great coolers with warnings about not fitting in all cases or fitting over sticks of ram.

I know I'm fairly tight on space, so I'm wondering is there a go-to cooler for those with tight space requirements? Or anyone with a similar Case/motherboard know of one that definitely fits?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some great info, thanks! Really interetested by the Antec and Corsair all-in-1 watercooling solutions, they look so small and neat. Worried about leaking, but the h60 and antec 620 actually seem cheaper than many air coolers...hmmm

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadav View Post

Some great info, thanks! Really interetested by the Antec and Corsair all-in-1 watercooling solutions, they look so small and neat. Worried about leaking, but the h60 and antec 620 actually seem cheaper than many air coolers...hmmm
For any application where you can use a highend HSF, I do NOT recommend a Closed Loop Cooler like the Antec/Corsair and similar because objective, scientific testing has shown that compared to a highend HSF, CLCs are:

1. Thermally inefficient -correct as less than a quality HSF

2. A poor value - can cost Twice the price of a comparable HSF

3. Noisy - yes you can spend more money for quiet fans but that makes CLCs an even Worse value

4. Have a real liability of a water-leak that can damage hundreds of dollars in PC hardware

5. When water-damage occurs you can lose data, must ship hardware back and forth and be without your PC for weeks.

6. There is NO technical merit upside to a CLC if you have room for a highend HSF If you don't have room for a large highend HSF you may still be better off with a non-leaking mid-level HSF or a change in PC case if you really need more cooling.

http://www.anandtech.com/print/5054

As you can see there are numerous highend HSFs that are thermally more efficient than any of the Corsair or similar CLCs and HSFs don't leak. Feel free to see the Corsair forums for tales of woe when CLCs leak and damage the hardware then see line item #6 above so that you are informed of the consequences - even if a mfg. will pay to replace damaged PC hardware.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2665&page=6

As always I suggest people educate themselves on the Pros and Cons of each cooling system then Buy What Makes YOU Happy.

The technical facts remain the same no matter what your personal choice is so enjoy.
thumb.gif

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD4ME View Post

For any application where you can use a highend HSF, I do NOT recommend a Closed Loop Cooler like the Antec/Corsair and similar because objective, scientific testing has shown that compared to a highend HSF, CLCs are:
1. Thermally inefficient -correct as less than a quality HSF
2. A poor value - can cost Twice the price of a comparable HSF
3. Noisy - yes you can spend more money for quiet fans but that makes CLCs an even Worse value
4. Have a real liability of a water-leak that can damage hundreds of dollars in PC hardware
5. When water-damage occurs you can lose data, must ship hardware back and forth and be without your PC for weeks.
6. There is NO technical merit upside to a CLC if you have room for a highend HSF If you don't have room for a large highend HSF you may still be better off with a non-leaking mid-level HSF or a change in PC case if you really need more cooling.
http://www.anandtech.com/print/5054
As you can see there are numerous highend HSFs that are thermally more efficient than any of the Corsair or similar CLCs and HSFs don't leak. Feel free to see the Corsair forums for tales of woe when CLCs leak and damage the hardware then see line item #6 above so that you are informed of the consequences - even if a mfg. will pay to replace damaged PC hardware.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2665&page=6
As always I suggest people educate themselves on the Pros and Cons of each cooling system then Buy What Makes YOU Happy.
The technical facts remain the same no matter what your personal choice is so enjoy.
thumb.gif
Corsair covers the damage done.... come if they were going to leak all the time there wouldnt be any CLC on the market

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, ended up getting the Antec Khuler 620, pump is quiet, fan was pretty quiet, but I replaced it with a Alaksa Apache I had lying around, seems slightly quieter again. (fan installed as Intake/pull)

Temps are alight, but I over-clocked to 4.4 straight away, and have been playing far too much Diablo 3 to be able to judge fairly. But I've never seen it go that hot. seems about the same as intel stock was when the CPU -wasn't- over-clocked, maybe a little lower under load, impressive.

Very impressed with the size, build quality and lightness of the unit, installation wasn't TOO tricky. Love not having a massive heavy thing dangling off my motherboard.

So It's nothing mind-blowing for temps, but it's nice to have the same room, or more, that I had when using the stock cooler, while being able to over-clock well, all for a modest price! Nice recommendation Pontiac.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts