Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make my temps a bit more manageable (my MBP mid-2012 will stay at 3500 RPM until ~90*C). I've come across SMC Fan Control, but it doesn't really work. When I increase my fan speed, I'll hear my fan start speeding up (I'll go up maybe 100 rpm) and then it speeds back down to whatever it was running at without the software. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
These old fan control programs are pretty outdated. You asked for ideas: anybody want to start a new project?
smile.gif

Edit: My favorite fan control software was this one: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23137/fan-control

But it's long outdated. It does include the source code, though, and I've had it sitting on my desktop waiting for some time to pick it up as a project. I could use some motivation if anyone is interested in working on this
smile.gif

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have not found good software control applications for Mac either. Other than resetting the PRAM to make sure the fans are doing the right speed according the temp I am not sure what to say. That seems like a really high fan usage there. Is there any lint in the heatsink fins? have you re-applied any thermal paste?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
SMC Fan Control does not work on newer machines.

I use Macs Fan Control but it is limited.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Come on! Nobody wants to make this an OCN project?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Me either. I would not know where to start. Too many other irons in the fire here...
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
We would start with the source code here: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23137/fan-control

I know a little bit of Obj-C. It would take some time to brush up on it, though.

Speaking of fans... Does anybody else have a 2012 MBP (non-retina)? I've never heard the fan on this thing, and it always says it's at 2000 RPM. And then again, I've never seen the temps above say 55°C. Are these MBPs known to stay cool?

Oh, and another project I've always wanted to do was update iSlayer's iStat Pro (does anybody remember that widget?) They included the source code with the widget before they went out of business (or got bought and shut down.)

If you guys ever feel like working on something like this, let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts