Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Graphics card has stopped displaying, and the fans spin up really fast, A really small smd capacitor has broke off from my GPU.

If i solder a new one there will it work again? can someone identify what cap i need, I can't see any codes.

I've arrowed where it broke off, The Cap above where it broke off is the exact same one ( well it looked the same )

 

·
Bigger is Always Better
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
How do you know a cap broke off? Did you drop something on the gpu? If so, then simply replacing the component might not fix it. Something was probably shorted as well. Besides, most of the caps on a pcb are filters. There are tons of them and losing one shouldn't cause that much trouble. Can you attach the pic?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,235 Posts
Ha
tongue.gif


Did pretty much the same thing to one of the 5850's in my mining rig. Though it was one that was used for the memory, located near the pci-e's release latch on the back side of the card. Nicked it off while going for the release latch on the slot, wasn't paying attention. Card still worked fine without it, could still OC the GPU but touching the memory clock would cause PC to freeze.

What I did was use the dull end of some reynolds wrap and taped a small piece of it to the card so the connection is live again. Card works perfect now, can OC memory with no crash even. Card mines 24/7 and no problem so far.

While I would hold off trying it, it may work if you are desperate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Eskimo View Post

Would you mind attaching the photo differently? Me and many other users would rather not DL a random file
tongue.gif
Not sure how to sorry, don't worry its virus free =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood406 View Post

How do you know a cap broke off? Did you drop something on the gpu? If so, then simply replacing the component might not fix it. Something was probably shorted as well. Besides, most of the caps on a pcb are filters. There are tons of them and losing one shouldn't cause that much trouble. Can you attach the pic?
I've attached the pic in my 1st post, I think I broke it while I was trying to fit my air cooler on, been working 100% until i opened my case and replaced my air cooler, while looking at the graphics for damage I saw that cap hanging, 1 side holding the board, Thought it was dust but next minute it fell off with me ( Can't find it anymore )
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

Ha
tongue.gif


Did pretty much the same thing to one of the 5850's in my mining rig. Though it was one that was used for the memory, located near the pci-e's release latch on the back side of the card. Nicked it off while going for the release latch on the slot, wasn't paying attention. Card still worked fine without it, could still OC the GPU but touching the memory clock would cause PC to freeze.

What I did was use the dull end of some reynolds rap and taped a small piece of it to the card so the connection is live again. Card works perfect now, can OC memory with no crash even. Card mines 24/7 and no problem so far.

While I would hold off trying it, it may work if you are desperate.
what is reynolds rap ? Can't I just create a bridge of solder to replace it ? Surely it doesn't do much? I mean all the components are on the graphics board for a reason, but this thing is really small, Even If i do get a replacement I dont think ill manage to solder it back. I did think about putting a blob of solder to replace the cap.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegodlynub View Post

Not sure how to sorry, don't worry its virus free =)
I've attached the pic in my 1st post, I think I broke it while I was trying to fit my air cooler on, been working 100% until i opened my case and replaced my air cooler, while looking at the graphics for damage I saw that cap hanging, 1 side holding the board, Thought it was dust but next minute it fell off with me ( Can't find it anymore )
what is reynolds rap ? Can't I just create a bridge of solder to replace it ? Surely it doesn't do much? I mean all the components are on the graphics board for a reason, but this thing is really small, Even If i do get a replacement I dont think ill manage to solder it back. I did think about putting a blob of solder to replace the cap.
Reynolds Wrap is tin foil, but that brand has a dull side to it. That is what I used, Figured it might be slightly less conductive.

I cut a piece that matched the size of the resistor and taped it on with clear tape. Then black electrical over that. Did the job nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

Reynolds Wrap is tin foil, but that brand has a dull side to it. That is what I used, Figured it might be slightly less conductive.

I cut a piece that matched the size of the resistor and taped it on with clear tape. Then black electrical over that. Did the job nicely.
so you used tin foil instead replacing the cap ? is that correct? If so I think I might go ahead and put a blob of solder in the middle to join the 2 ends up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegodlynub View Post

so you used tin foil instead replacing the cap ? is that correct? If so I think I might go ahead and put a blob of solder in the middle to join the 2 ends up.
Well my method wasn't as permanent and can get redone if needed. Might allow less current to go through.

Really I have no idea what that resistor might be used for. Doing so could cause more power to be feed to some part of your card.
 

·
Bigger is Always Better
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
I would definitely NOT put a blob of solder on it. If it is a cap, caps are (usually) connections between +V and ground. Bridging that gap with solder would effectively put a direct short on the +12v. Just RMA the card and chalk it up for experience sake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood406 View Post

I would definitely NOT put a blob of solder on it. If it is a cap, caps are (usually) connections between +V and ground. Bridging that gap with solder would effectively put a direct short on the +12v. Just RMA the card and chalk it up for experience sake.
Warranty expired and no pennies to buy new graphics card, I have a ati 5870 but fan is broke or something, makes sooooooooo much noise.

I mean whats the worst that can happen with this card? its already dead, 1 blob of solder isn't going to kill it again when its already dead
wink.gif


Hoping this 1 blob will resurrect it =)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegodlynub View Post

Warranty expired and no pennies to buy new graphics card, I have a ati 5870 but fan is broke or something, makes sooooooooo much noise.

I mean whats the worst that can happen with this card? its already dead, 1 blob of solder isn't going to kill it again when its already dead
wink.gif


Hoping this 1 blob will resurrect it =)
BTW 5850 fan fits the 5870.

Actually have the 7950 stock blower fan on one of my 5850's because the fan went out.
 

·
Bigger is Always Better
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
Good Luck to you then. I could be wrong and nothing will happen. If you feel like you have nothing to lose, go for it and let us know if you get it fixed so someone else might benefit from your troubleshooting
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

BTW 5850 fan fits the 5870.

Actually have the 7950 stock blower fan on one of my 5850's because the fan went out.
Fan from Asus 5850 to big for ati sapphire 5870.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood406 View Post

Good Luck to you then. I could be wrong and nothing will happen. If you feel like you have nothing to lose, go for it and let us know if you get it fixed so someone else might benefit from your troubleshooting
biggrin.gif
I've not done it yet but I don't think it will work, to be totally honest I reckon that cap has always been hanging, I think its something else that's killed this card. Just don't understand why its died after I had cleaned the CPU cooler, I didn't touch the GPU, nothing fell on it.

Oh well £100 it cost me but only lasted 2 years
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top