Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 5 to 6 weeks ago I put in a Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280mm AIO. I have set up as an intake in the front of the case with the supplied fans + two noctua NF14 PWMs to create a push/pull effect.

Ever since I got it there has been a warm rubbery to metallic type of smell coming from the PC. At first the smell was really strong although it has got better over time. The smell seems to get worse after an hour or two of gaming when the PC is warm or if I run stress tests and get hotter temps. Temps are fine though and there are no leaks from the cooler and none of the hoses appear to be touching anything hot. I feel like 95% sure the smell comes from the cooler as the box it came in has a similar smell.

I have even gone as far as to wipe everything down with antibacterial wipes and applied some lemon essential oil to the fan blades and case grill.

Has anyone experienced the same thing?

·
Bends are for the weak
82 Posts
Most likely the tubing. Welcome to chinese rubber.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely the tubing. Welcome to chinese rubber.
:doh:

Any chance it improves over time? The radiator is more effective and quieter.... but I find it hard to believe that people put up with this kind of smell long term. But I am very sensitive to noise and smells.

·
Bends are for the weak
82 Posts
It will eventually vape out, yes. Will likely take some time, tho.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
How hot is your radiator getting? Your fluid temperatures might be getting too high.

I think its the same smell I was getting when I accidentally messed up my fan profile causing my custom loop to run passive for way too long.

You generally don't want your fluid temperatures over 50c.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,217 Posts
There is also fetching aroma of fine Chinese paint on the rad. When it gets warm, this will also put out that type of odor. This smell will also vanish over time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is also fetching aroma of fine Chinese paint on the rad. When it gets warm, this will also put out that type of odor. This smell will also vanish over time.
This is what, a month later? And I still notice the smell... probably not helped by the fact we are having a heat wave here and ambient temps have been 28 to 33c quite often so I guess the rad is having to work quite hard. I've also had intermittent gurgling from the pump and today some really horrible screeching sounds too (which went away when the pump was stopped and restarted).

I'm seriously considering just going back to an air cooler to be honest. Less to worry about and if I have to run a couple of hundred MHz less then so be it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts