Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
perhaps I did a bad job looking after I searched since this is 2 days old but.....didnt find anything.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sec...0625-z8sf.html

Quote:

This week, 24 privacy and civil liberties groups sent a letter raising concerns about the legislation to the sponsors, including that it could limit free speech and free inquiry, Computerworld reported.

"We are concerned that the emergency actions that could be compelled could include shutting down or limiting internet communications," the letter reads.

But the architects of the plan, committee chairman Senator Joe Lieberman and Senator Susan Collins, have this week released a "Myth v. Reality" document that hits back at these criticisms.

They say the threat of a catastrophic cyber attack is real and not a matter of "if" but "when". Cyber crime was also costing the US economy billions of dollars annually and the bill would "modernise the government's ability to safeguard the nation's cyber networks from attack and will establish a public/private partnership to set national cyber security priorities".

The senators rejected the "kill switch" claim, arguing that the President already had authority under the Communications Act to "cause the closing of any facility or station for wire communication" when there is a "state or threat of war".

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by falco216
View Post

Title is a bit misleading, it was approved by the US Homeland Security committee, not passed into law.

edited, my fault.

·
Old School OCNer
1,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by falco216
View Post

Title is a bit misleading, it was approved by the US Homeland Security committee, not passed into law.

I thought this is kinda like martial law for the internet, to use in whatever situation the government sees fit.

EDITED: After I read the 2nd source.

Here is another source.

·
Old School OCNer
1,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

Politics?

Is this not a gray area? Does this political action directly affect Technology and Science News? I would say it does. On the other hand I think this kind of stuff goes over Obama's head. But, that's just me...

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Im sure all it would do, if it was to come into action would be that all the ISPs would be forced to shut off the internet to their customers. Its not going to be some magical switch lol.

Im sure in iran they would love a switch like this.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J View Post
Im sure all it would do, if it was to come into action would be that all the ISPs would be forced to shut off the internet to their customers. Its not going to be some magical switch lol.

Im sure in iran they would love a switch like this.
They do have a switch exactly like this only worse, the cell phone system is also gov't owned so when everyone was protesting the elections, cell service was also shut down, or drastically slowed down.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
I would like to see that Myth v. Reality document. It seems like this entire thing is based on a myth.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
DO NOT reply with political rhetoric, period!
Thread cleaned and this serves as a warning!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just because it's passed a committee doesn't make it law., I'm sure the supreme court will rule on this as well, at some point. The internet is after all turning into our generations newspapers, and places to plan rallies, etc. Sounds like in the future cutting off the internet would be akin to stopping to press from operating, or something similar.

Marshall law has only be used once in this country, and that was during or was it just after the civil war during reconstruction? Either way, it's a very rare occurrence, and this basically sounds like "internet marshal" law.

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
I don't see what the fuss is about. Your ISP already has the power to shut do your internet, or severely cripple it for "abusing their bandwidth."

Why is this a case for concern when it involves the government which would have a more legitimate reason for doing so than some capitalist corporation driven by money.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BizzareRide
View Post

I don't see what the fuss is about. Your ISP already has the power to shut do your internet, or severely cripple it for "abusing their bandwidth."

Why is this a case for concern when it involves the government which would have a more legitimate reason for doing so than some capitalist corporation driven by money.

Problem is if the ISP shuts down your internet you can go to a new provider, if the government shuts down the internet, well your pretty much ****ed.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BizzareRide
View Post

You can move to a new country

Because it's so easy, right?

Just a couple of things: when weill this proposal pass to votation so it can become a law?

Will this affect other countries as well if the switch was activated?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts