Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so recently my gaming PC of 4 years began smoking the other day. It lasted for about 5 seconds and white smoke came from the top ventaliation slits in the case. Computer was completely fine during the time the smoke appeared. All temperatures are normal and computer still works fine. There was some dust build up in the top fans where the smoke smell came from. What’s the possible cause of this. I’ve also check the motherboard compactors and they look ok as well. I don’t see any burnt wires or issues.. any ideas?

SLI GTX 980s
4790k CPU
Corsair PSU (definitely not psu, smell and smoke was coming from top of computer)

·
Loosing Vision
1,885 Posts
might just be a fans coils toasted, see if they are fuse and harder to turn.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I had a DVD drive go up in flames a couple of years ago on my PC. Not only was there a lot of smoke but there was a small fire as well. Don't know what caused this as the drive was not in use and I suspect there might have been a short somewhere. MB and other components were not harmed at all. If you have such a drive check out the connection and see if there is any melted parts.

·
To The Game
7,664 Posts
I'd take a good look at the mobo, gpu, and psu and see if there's any visible damage to capacitors, resistors, and caps in general. Should be pretty obvious that they've taken damage.

*Take the psu out of the system and use a flashlight to look inside the thing. Should be able to see good enough to get an idea if anything is damaged.

·
Overclocker in training
13,953 Posts
Hi,
Yes you should be worried and prepared for a fire and a replacement of everything that gets torched :)

Unless you're just vaping or something :heyyou:

·

29,532 Posts
I can't think of anything that would cause a computer to smoke that isn't a component failure. I'm actually more surprised your PSU didn't trip.

Are you overclocked? Could be a CPU PWM that said bye given you said it came from the top, but then I'm even more surprised your PSU didn't trip.

·
High Clocker
3,414 Posts
Had a few cases of computer smoke my self over the last 20 years lol.

Had 1 HDD fry out. Drive stopped working.
Had a GPU pop caps which let out quite a bit of smoke. PC keept working for a few more weeks before getting bluescreen on windows boot.
Had Mobo VRM let go and smoke pc would still run but freeze under load.
Had a GPU fan fail. Then GPU get hot enough to burn the dust in the heat sink.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Had a few cases of computer smoke my self over the last 20 years lol.

Had 1 HDD fry out. Drive stopped working.
Had a GPU pop caps which let out quite a bit of smoke. PC keept working for a few more weeks before getting bluescreen on windows boot.
Had Mobo VRM let go and smoke pc would still run but freeze under load.
Had a GPU fan fail. Then GPU get hot enough to burn the dust in the heat sink.
Is that a good way to get dust out of a heatsink?

·
High Clocker
3,414 Posts
Is that a good way to get dust out of a heatsink?
If you like the urge to throw up from the smell then yeah.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts