Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you have to have a pssword set on your account to run smp? it gets annoying i cant turn my computer on and walk away and comeback with it fully up and running
anyway to run smp without a pasword on my account?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
You do need a passworded account in order to run smp folding. The client uses a service that runs in the background. This service needs a password in order to authenticate with the system.

A few things that can help.

1.) You can set your account to use a password, but also automatically log you in.
See this link for more help with that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

2.) If you are running a screensaver, and it requires you to use a password to get back in the system, you can change that.
Right click on the desktop and choose properties. Select the screensaver tab. Remove the checkbox for "On resume, password protect."

Hopefully you can get smp folding to the point where it is not even noticeable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knitelife View Post
You do need a passworded account in order to run smp folding. The client uses a service that runs in the background. This service needs a password in order to authenticate with the system.

A few things that can help.

1.) You can set your account to use a password, but also automatically log you in.
See this link for more help with that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

2.) If you are running a screensaver, and it requires you to use a password to get back in the system, you can change that.
Right click on the desktop and choose properties. Select the screensaver tab. Remove the checkbox for "On resume, password protect."

Hopefully you can get smp folding to the point where it is not even noticeable.
i dont notice the smp, but i just dont like having to log in. ill try that link see what it does
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knitelife View Post
When you say didn't work, do you mean that you still have to use a password when you first boot up your computer?
yes password still there, it doesnt automatically load up
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36 View Post
Run control userpasswords2, and uncheck the checkbox while your account is selected. That will log you in automatically.
i couldnt reply that day because of the server. i did that nothing doees anything
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullzaflare View Post
i couldnt reply that day because of the server. i did that nothing doees anything
Make sure you type it like "control userpasswords2" without the quotes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullzaflare View Post
i did, then the busy icons up for 1/4 of a second and thats all it does
That's odd, because I use this on different computers all the time. It's much better than the regular user management program.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top