Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adding the SMP client to my main PC, trouble is I already fold on the GPU and it is my main PC (my 2nd rig is missing some RAM) will I still be able to use the PC if I'm running both the GPU and SMP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,418 Posts
yes no problem i folded with 3 card's and cpu in the same rig so you will be fine... that 260 will use maybe 10/15% of one core....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I have found that the nvidia GPUs only take a small amount of the CPU for SMP while the Radeon 5850 I'm using needs its own core or the SMP client grinds to a halt. Something going on with the multithreaded load balancing?
 

·
New to OCN? Yeah, nah
Joined
·
4,231 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Meister
View Post

I have found that the nvidia GPUs only take a small amount of the CPU for SMP while the Radeon 5850 I'm using needs its own core or the SMP client grinds to a halt. Something going on with the multithreaded load balancing?

By default, ATI clients use a ton of CPU cycles. However, you can change your environmental variables to make it use less with no performance hit.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...les-lower.html

It works wonders.

Captain cannonfodder, it'll be fine. I run both the SMP and GPU client on my sig rig and it runs perfectly fine when I'm not gaming. (it's worth mentioning that I'm only running SMP on 3 of my cores, so I have around half a core unused at any given moment.) As long as you're not watching a movie or running something CPU intensive, you'll see almost no difference.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by aroc91
View Post

By default, ATI clients use a ton of CPU cycles. However, you can change your environmental variables to make it use less with no performance hit.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...les-lower.html

It works wonders.

Captain cannonfodder, it'll be fine. I run both the SMP and GPU client on my sig rig and it runs perfectly fine when I'm not gaming. (it's worth mentioning that I'm only running SMP on 3 of my cores, so I have around half a core unused at any given moment.) As long as you're not watching a movie or running something CPU intensive, you'll see almost no difference.

I do tend to watch a lot of movies now I have a 2nd monitor near my bed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Captain_cannonfodder
View Post

I do tend to watch a lot of movies now I have a 2nd monitor near my bed.

I suggest using WinAFC to raise the priority on the GPU's FAHCore*.exe. Since you're limited to two cores, the SMP Client will usually get more of the cycles over the GPU Client, but you can change that by raising the priority.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by LethalRise750
View Post

I suggest using WinAFC to raise the priority on the GPU's FAHCore*.exe. Since you're limited to two cores, the SMP Client will usually get more of the cycles over the GPU Client, but you can change that by raising the priority.

And this will still allow me to play movies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Captain_cannonfodder
View Post

And this will still allow me to play movies?

Should be able to, It shouldn't kill your performance too much. I usually use CoreAVC Codec though which lets me use CUDA so my SMP Client doesn't lose too much PPD and GPU's fold alot faster.

WinAFC will let you set the priority automatically based on a time interval. If I recall I lose like 250-300 PPD on my CPU by allocating a higher priority on the GPU Client.
 

·
New to OCN? Yeah, nah
Joined
·
4,231 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
You don't need WinAFC for doing that, just set the priority within the GPU client's configuration to low instead of idle.
This. You can set the SMP client to use, for example, 75% of your CPU cycles, leaving 25% to spare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
You don't need WinAFC for doing that, just set the priority within the GPU client's configuration to low instead of idle.

Nope, You don't need WinAFC. But my GTX 460 folds through WU's quick as hell which is why I use it. I'd rather not have to sit there everytime it finishes a WU just to change the priority settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Thanks for the environment variables. I have found that even on the Nvidia rig running the SMP client has an adverse effect on the GPU load, based on the GPU load graph in MSI afterburner. Regardless of thread priority, I have to dedicate a core to each folding GPU or its load drops down to 50-70%.

The Windows task manager obviously doesn't show GPU load yet so the GPUs seem to be getting sufficient CPU cycles, but afterburner shows that they're underfed (validated by dropping temps, ppd and power draw at the wall.) It seems like task manager doesn't see the real demand for CPU time causing the GPU to slow even with proper priority.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll wait and run both GPU and SMP on my 2nd rig where I can lose a core to the GPU since I wont be using that for anything other than folding.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top