Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,I decided to try and get a few more ppd by installing SMP on my gpu folder

Setup went fine, made the shortcut with the -smp tag and started it up. Both cores are running @ 100%.
I did this last night before I went to bed. When I checked on it's progress, it had only done 12%. Works out to about 1 hour / percent. I know since I am GPU folding on it it would be a little slower, but it should be more like 30 minutes/ %.
Would changing the priority make a difference (GPU is set to low, SMP is normal).
PPD on the GPU are pretty much the same.

It is a BE-2400 running @ 2.4 ghz (minimal OC options on the board) with Vista. I also only have 1 gb of memory, and it is using ~800mb. Would another stick of RAM help?
Any other help, or is it just going to take that long?

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
The things that would help get better times are as follows:

(1) Run VMware + Ubuntu for the SMP, instead of Win SMP

(2) O/C to atleast 3.0Ghz(but you said it's not likely)

(3) Add another stick of RAM and get the timmings as tight as possible

If you change the priority to high on the GPU2 client, that will give you more PPD for the GPU2 client. This might slow down the SMP client, but the extra points you get from the GPU2 client would make up for it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher
View Post

OK,I decided to try and get a few more ppd by installing SMP on my gpu folder

Setup went fine, made the shortcut with the -smp tag and started it up. Both cores are running @ 100%.
I did this last night before I went to bed. When I checked on it's progress, it had only done 12%. Works out to about 1 hour / percent. I know since I am GPU folding on it it would be a little slower, but it should be more like 30 minutes/ %.
Would changing the priority make a difference (GPU is set to low, SMP is normal).
PPD on the GPU are pretty much the same.

It is a BE-2400 running @ 2.4 ghz (minimal OC options on the board) with Vista. I also only have 1 gb of memory, and it is using ~800mb. Would another stick of RAM help?
Any other help, or is it just going to take that long?

GPU folding doesnt really care about RAM, but SMP does, more ram would help with the operation of VISTA too.
set priority to normal for SMP, slightly higher for GPU, and use setaffinity II program to put SMP on 3 cores and GPU on one. http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_so...y_II_1.036.zip

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Yeah, I gave up SMP folding because of how long it takes and how big of an impact it has on performance, while I can still GPU fold even while playing games.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
The SMP client also takes a lot longer on dual cores than quads, for obvious reasons.

I have no proof, but from just observation, the SMP client seems to do better on Intel CPUs than AMD CPUs. It also seems to do better on Linux than Windows.

As long as it's completing before deadline you're probably OK, though of course your PPD will be low.

Maybe time to upgrade your rig?

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know duals take longer. I have folded on the CPU before with XP (just SMP) and it was finishing a % every 30 minutes or so (but it was @ 2.6, not the 2.4 I am at now). I guess with the GPU going it takes away a lot more than I thought from the SMP client.

My plan is to go with the notfreds USB option or ubuntu VM, but I know how to set up win SMP so I just did that quickly.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm using two duals right now each at 3.2GHz...I can get done an SMP WU running on XP in a little over 24 hours...and since I'm ranked in the low 300's and I've only been folding since July, I'd say it's not going too shabbily. I'm building a quad-based machine at the end of this month, so it'll work out even better. I would suggest taking a look at what settings you made your .cfg for the SMP, you want to allocate all of your memory to it (and since you don't have very much to begin with, this is a problem). I leave both of mine at idle (even though I game heavily on the weekends) and have the update time at 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
I know duals take longer. I have folded on the CPU before with XP (just SMP) and it was finishing a % every 30 minutes or so (but it was @ 2.6, not the 2.4 I am at now). I guess with the GPU going it takes away a lot more than I thought from the SMP client.

My plan is to go with the notfreds USB option or ubuntu VM, but I know how to set up win SMP so I just did that quickly.
going by what you said

for 30 mins, you were overclocked to 2.6ghz, in xp, and no gpu

now, think,
2.4ghz, vista, gpu folding, id imagine around 50 minutes a %
so you are still a bit slower than what you should be

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullzaflare View Post
going by what you said

for 30 mins, you were overclocked to 2.6ghz, in xp, and no gpu

now, think,
2.4ghz, vista, gpu folding, id imagine around 50 minutes a %
so you are still a bit slower than what you should be
That is an amazing estimate.
I added another gig of memory (which by doing I found my brand new OCZ 2x1 gb kit has 1 bad stick
) and I am right at 50 minutes / %.
So the memory was part of the problem. Once I have a little more time, I wqill look into the VM ware stuff.

Since I do nothing else with this computer, running the SMP does not hurt anything performance wise, and it should finish the WU in time, so I will just let it keep going.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blupupher View Post
That is an amazing estimate.
I added another gig of memory (which by doing I found my brand new OCZ 2x1 gb kit has 1 bad stick
) and I am right at 50 minutes / %.
So the memory was part of the problem. Once I have a little more time, I wqill look into the VM ware stuff.

Since I do nothing else with this computer, running the SMP does not hurt anything performance wise, and it should finish the WU in time, so I will just let it keep going.

Thanks all

im good at that

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
Not trying to threadjack, but have a simple question that I dont think requires a new thread.....with GPU2 running, is a completed WU every 4 hours or so good? I've been folding since yesterday and have thus far completed 12 WU's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts