Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around and got everything working in order for better results folding wise. I reached over 10k in two days running a GPU and SMP client on my PC. I realized that the GPU client is much more productive, and is raking points up really fast. I process a WPU in 2 hours (50k process) on my GPU, and my SMP can't get anywhere near that speed, nor is it very productive point wise.

I actually have two questions, is it really worth running the SMP considering my GPU output? And is there another way to optimize the speed of the SMP? (My sig rig is the one doing the folding)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
525 Posts
If you set-up your 1090T with a vm and got it folding -bigadv you could see around 30k ppd or more from the cpu alone.
 

·
New to OCN? Yeah, nah
Joined
·
4,231 Posts
You need to do 10 SMP WUs before you get bonus points, which will make up most of your PPD. Be patient. You did get a passkey, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by aroc91
View Post

You need to do 10 SMP WUs before you get bonus points, which will make up most of your PPD. Be patient. You did get a passkey, right?

I did when I first started, but since I restarted yesterday, I haven't used it. Any particular difference with the use with the passkey?
 

·
New to OCN? Yeah, nah
Joined
·
4,231 Posts
Absolutely. You NEED a passkey to get bonus points. Did you use a guide to set up your clients? This is covered in any worthwhile guide, especially zodac's here on OCN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the Hardware side of things, is it safe to run the CPU at 100% for 8hrs? I only have a stock fan, but my room is pretty cold, and my case is really well ventilated.
 

·
New to OCN? Yeah, nah
Joined
·
4,231 Posts
As long as temps are in check and you're not putting ridiculous voltages through it, there's nothing wrong with running hardware at 100%, even 24/7.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroc91;15286468
As long as temps are in check and you're not putting ridiculous voltages through it, there's nothing wrong with running hardware at 100%, even 24/7.
Rgr this. I game at 100% settings then fold at 100% on GPUs and CPU when I'm not gaming. I reboot every 12 hours because OCZ SSDs are awful.

50k step WU? Jellyyyyyy. 40 million for my GPU WUs
frown.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKHunt;15286506
Rgr this. I game at 100% settings then fold at 100% on GPUs and CPU when I'm not gaming. I reboot every 12 hours because OCZ SSDs are awful.

50k step WU? Jellyyyyyy. 40 million for my GPU WUs
frown.gif
Isn't the problem the controller not the SSD itself?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvspace126;15283506
I actually have two questions, is it really worth running the SMP considering my GPU output? And is there another way to optimize the speed of the SMP? (My sig rig is the one doing the folding)
Get the 470 on -advmethods, how you would do that depends what client you use, and the GPU will be using very little CPU cycles and therefor improve SMP PPD (tho the card will be running hotter).

Clock that 1090T to at least 3.8 and get bigadv going in a VM, for that you probably want a better cooler. There are several guides on here which go through it but I use snippets from several.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvidab;15287939
Get the 470 on -advmethods, how you would do that depends what client you use, and the GPU will be using very little CPU cycles and therefor improve SMP PPD (tho the card will be running hotter).

Clock that 1090T to at least 3.8 and get bigadv going in a VM, for that you probably want a better cooler. There are several guides on here which go through it but I use snippets from several.
I'll try to develop an OC setup than, I'll just wait a couple of days as I'm in a bid for a second 470. I've been doing this for two days now, and I already feel like a buying a second PC for folding
rolleyes.gif
And thanks everyone for the reassuring words concerning the CPU continuous usage, makes a noob less stress about the issue.

Continuing with another question, would a 430 be a good card for folding? I'm looking for something inexpensive to add to my parents PC, and run it while their not at home. They have a cheap integrated card as it is, so any kind of card would be an improvement, so I thought of making a small upgrade that might help in ppd ratio.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top