Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Britain was rocked this week by the latest developments in a massive cellphone-hacking scandal that's been unraveling for several years. One of the nation's largest newspapers is shutting down as a result, and friends of the prime minister face the loss of their jobs, or even possibly jail time.
The entire affair stems from a series of "hacks" - really just illegal accessing - of the mobile-phone voicemail boxes of public and private citizens. The journalists and private investigators who carried it out on behalf of the Sunday tabloid the News of the World had no special technical skills and found it easy to get into other people's voicemail.

So could the same thing happen here in the United States? It almost certainly could. American cellular carriers' voicemail security is no better, and in some cases worse, than that of their British counterparts.
more at http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/mobile-voicemail-hacking-britain-us-0939/

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Of course it can. Given that most people don't change the pin numbers on their phones' voicemail, it could and probably does happen. Wouldn't be surprised if Faux news was already doing it, honestly. Rupert Murdoch says he had no knowledge of the hacking, yet I find that hard to believe given that he's such a scumbag to begin with.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine;14146937
Of course it can. Given that most people don't change the pin numbers on their phones' voicemail, it could and probably does happen.
There were bribes to phone companies to get the pin numbers, and also bribes to the police to prevent criminal investigations. So it could probably happen in any country really.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Simplest way round this, each phone comes with a unique passcode when you buy it, typed on the SIM card holder or in the manual. That way even if you don't change it, it will still be reasonably secure. There will still be idiots who change it to "1111" or "1234" etc because "it is easier to remember".

I really hope that the News of the World reporters are held fully accountable for their actions, it seems that reporters can get away with illegal acts all too often in the cause of reporting "news" (anyone who has ever read NoW will understand the ""). And closing NoW down will make the average quality of news in the UK considerably higher.

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpye11;14148526
There were bribes to phone companies to get the pin numbers, and also bribes to the police to prevent criminal investigations. So it could probably happen in any country really.
Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware that that was happening (I've only seen brief summaries on CNN while at lunch... +Rep

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.