Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
this is why, imo, a closed-app system like apple's is far superior to android...i mean, as far as i know, apple apps don't have any of these problems...i know android didn't at first, but that was because android wasn't as popular then...kind of like the linux vs windows concept, almost all viruses are written for windows because it's got a massive market share...android has exploded across the mobile landscape and when you've got an open app system this was bound to happen eventually...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3machi7ke;14200016
this is why, imo, a closed-app system like apple's is far superior to android...i mean, as far as i know, apple apps don't have any of these problems...i know android didn't at first, but that was because android wasn't as popular then...kind of like the linux vs windows concept, almost all viruses are written for windows because it's got a massive market share...android has exploded across the mobile landscape and when you've got an open app system this was bound to happen eventually...
But iOS can be hacked using a PDF.

Apple's is no more secure, it just takes more effort to get the Trojans on there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
I'm glad I live literally a block from my bank. I don't do any sort of online banking. I can walk to my bank and back in under 10 minutes. In my opinion any sort of online banking is just not worth the convenience.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,952 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Toonshorty
View Post

But iOS can be hacked using a PDF.

Apple's is no more secure, it just takes more effort to get the Trojans on there.

That's been or is being patched. Old news. MS had issues getting attacked with a JPEG, so I fail to see where this argument even comes into play.

Apple's iOS, is inherently more secure due to the platform being more locked down.

Android is open-source (for the most part) and thus just about anything goes. Seclusion and Security, or Freedom and Choice?

It's a double edged sword.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
It's a Trojan, get over it. No amount of security in an OS can prevent someone from installing a trojan - since it is a eat of deception than of any "security flaw". If iOS is more "secure" or "hasn't been attacked like this", it is only because it is a locked down, closed, proprietary system which does not allow the user to do much, if anything.

It has nothing to do with obscurity, because iOS is easily more prevalent than Android - more that iOS does not allow you to install anything without using their own App Store, which sure, offers "security" but in exchange for giving up your freedom to use the device as you see fit.

Perhaps the best way of avoiding such banking trojans is to go old school, and actually go to the bank, instead of fooling around with it on a cell phone, which is much more easily lost or stolen when compared to say, the local Wells Fargo...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,569 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Toonshorty
View Post

But iOS can be hacked using a PDF.

Apple's is no more secure, it just takes more effort to get the Trojans on there.

You say IOS is no more secure, but then say it takes more effort for trojans to get on there. To me, that sounds more secure. Anything is able to be hacked, but those things that take longer/are harder to hack in my eyes are more secure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
It's a shame really, android is a great platform but it's going to get dragged through the mud because of stuff like this. Yes you have to be careful what you download and install and of course everyone on this site knows that but the majority of people are idiots when it comes to stuff like this.

I was shocked at this:

Quote:


Coupled with the news that Android malware rose 400 percent from last year

I missed that article.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts;14200075
It's a Trojan, get over it. No amount of security in an OS can prevent someone from installing a trojan - since it is a eat of deception than of any "security flaw". If iOS is more "secure" or "hasn't been attacked like this", it is only because it is a locked down, closed, proprietary system which does not allow the user to do much, if anything.
That's not entirely true, there are tons of things you can do with iOS, the only real limitation is that apple controls what can and cannot go on the phone through their app store...i realize that no amount of security will 100% secure you from everything, i'll concede that point...however, in regards to not being able to do "much, if anything", my wife has the new iPhone with verizon and loves it, and most people I know that have iPhones love them, they don't really notice anything that limits their ability to do anything, in fact it's quite the opposite...
Quote:
It has nothing to do with obscurity, because iOS is easily more prevalent than Android - more that iOS does not allow you to install anything without using their own App Store, which sure, offers "security" but in exchange for giving up your freedom to use the device as you see fit.
It has everything to do with obscurity...are you really going to take time out of your day to figure out a way to get people to give you passwords and other sensitive information when there's only a few thousand people using a device/OS? of course not, you're going to focus on more high-value targets...so when android exploded with popularity and everyone began using it, the MAJORITY of people most likely didn't think about security, they assumed that since iOS didn't have many problems that android wouldn't either...people capitalized on that...if android stayed tiny and no one used it, then there wouldn't be a market for trojans/viruses/etc for the android OS, the focus would have gone elsewhere...
Quote:
Perhaps the best way of avoiding such banking trojans is to go old school, and actually go to the bank, instead of fooling around with it on a cell phone, which is much more easily lost or stolen when compared to say, the local Wells Fargo...
agree 100%
smile.gif
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Zerkk

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
Who uses their phone for online banking? Seriously...

First line from the article that mentions an increase of 400%:
Quote:
Android users have a serious security problem on their hands, and it's bound to get worse unless they, and all smartphone users, wise up.
Too many people have the "it'll never happen to me" attitude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SugarySnack
View Post

You say IOS is no more secure, but then say it takes more effort for trojans to get on there. To me, that sounds more secure. Anything is able to be hacked, but those things that take longer/are harder to hack in my eyes are more secure.

We have a wall of bricks.

Imagine Android having open doors ever 10 metres.
Now imagine iOS having open doors ever 20 metres.

Both walls have doors you can walk through, so one is no more secure than the other. However, that said - the iOS wall takes longer to walk to the door (on average).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,703 Posts
Using a phone for banking is just... dumb. I don't see what the problem is though. I don't know why a scary Trojan banker would need to punch an android though.

The only reason phone viruses and malware weren't a big deal before is that there were so many different phone operating systems and fewer apps so it was just too hard to propagate. They have actually existed for years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3machi7ke;14200111
It has everything to do with obscurity...are you really going to take time out of your day to figure out a way to get people to give you passwords and other sensitive information when there's only a few thousand people using a device/OS? of course not, you're going to focus on more high-value targets...
iOS is far from obscure. Considering apple has 100's of millions of iPhones sold, I wouldn't call it obscure. You'd have to find a zero-day exploit to really affect iOS users since the platform is locked down (save for the jailbroken phones). I'd also venture to say that Apple probably has MORE high-value targets than the Android platform. I think that's a reasonable assessment.

The real issue, for Android, is its open platform. Again, it's a double-edged sword. Freedom vs Security.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by XNine
View Post

iOS is far from obscure. Considering apple has 100's of millions of iPhones sold, I wouldn't call it obscure. You'd have to find a zero-day exploit to really affect iOS users since the platform is locked down (save for the jailbroken phones). I'd also venture to say that Apple probably has MORE high-value targets than the Android platform. I think that's a reasonable assessment.

The real issue, for Android, is its open platform. Again, it's a double-edged sword. Freedom vs Security.

the point i was making was not for specific platforms, but moreso about obscurity and its direct correlation to hacks/trojans/malware...if you have a choice between a popular OS and an obscure OS, you're going to focus on the popular OS because there is a greater potential for return on investment...what i was saying was that Android open-source worked in the beginning, because there were few people that used it, so not many people were interested in exploiting it...since it has become popular, it is now worth people's time to exploit...i agree, both Android and iOS are very popular, so i think the major difference is that it is more difficult and time-consuming to create exploits for iOS due to how closed it is, and much easier for Android exploits being that it's open-source...personally, i think anyone that has sensitive information on their phone is not thinking ahead, but that's neither here nor there...the point is, people will focus on popular over obscure every time, and when push comes to shove, it is my opinion that closed-source software is both more difficult and more time-consuming to exploit than open-source...

::edit:: agree completely, it will always be about freedom vs security...personally, i choose security, but to each their own
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 5;14200131
Who uses their phone for online banking? Seriously...

First line from the article that mentions an increase of 400%:

Too many people have the "it'll never happen to me" attitude.
I do, all the time. It's wicked convenient to ensure that I have enough money and a constant breakdown of how I've spent it recently (mint.com).

I do not want to go to the bank every time I think I'm over budget for the week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,489 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mach 5
View Post

Who uses their phone for online banking? Seriously...

First line from the article that mentions an increase of 400%:

Too many people have the "it'll never happen to me" attitude.

I do, and so do a lot of people. It's very convenient and just as secure or more secure than using your computer for online banking.

Yes, I do agree with you on the problem with people's attitudes though; too many people do little, if anything, to protect themselves from an attack. But, I see this as far more of a problem with using their computer's for online banking then a phone right now.

PS- buy and Windows phone and you don't face this problem-- their market share is too little to be the focus of attacks right now. lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
I know for a fact my computer at home is secure...well more secure than my phone that is. I love online banking. It's an absolute blessing, but I would never do it on my phone. I have the AMEX app downloaded, but never used it.
 

·
Excel Guru
Joined
·
12,121 Posts
All Google has to do is have a certification program for developers, and to allow people to block certain developers from appearing on their application searches. The second is ridiculously easy to do and the fact that Google hasn't done so yet is ridiculous. The former will cost a lot to implement and keep running, but Google makes a crap load through ads, etc., so I see this as something Google has the responsibility to do and no excuse not to do.

These changes are simple. It will allow people to know when an application is safe, yet it will still allow anyone to write an application for Android.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
As long as it's just an app then I'm not really bothered as I don't install random apps and usually only install the mainstream ones. I have my bank account setup to where I can text "BAL" to them and get my balance instantly which is nice and it sounds like the app is reading the text messages and grabbing the part that authenticates it? I just skimmed the article really fast but that's what it sounded like.
 
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top