Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title is actual name of news story

Quote:
It's not that businesses are inured to break-ins and don't care about the consequences. The truth is that they simply can't keep up with the criminals on their own.
"There are about 1.5 billion attacks a month now," said Vincent Steckler, CEO of the Czech anti-virus firm Avast.
"We collect about 3 petabytes of data a month" about criminal activity, Steckler added. (One petabyte is equal to 1,000 terabytes, or 1 million gigabytes.)
It's simply too much information for companies to process, so we shouldn't rely on others to protect us
http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/you-can-make-internet-safer-0942/

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
story has 9 ways to help protect yourself as well. i think its funny that option number 1 is to install a "free" antivirus. the reason i find this funny is because they have used information from avast. I wonder if there a bias going on. who knows ill let you guys be the judge

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
meh...seems like a lot of common-sense stuff...the people that don't follow the suggestions are dumb yes, but they're still pretty much common sense imo

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippen Out;14177129
story has 9 ways to help protect yourself as well. i think its funny that option number 1 is to install a "free" antivirus. the reason i find this funny is because they have used information from avast. I wonder if there a bias going on. who knows ill let you guys be the judge
Then again..... any information security expert works for the military, government, a business, or hacks. Most information in a specialized fields will be inherently biased.

Anyone else find image 5 of 10 naughty?

·
Let's go Sharks!
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo;14177176
Wow, you weren't kidding
eek.gif

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
Quote:
Then again..... any information security expert works for the military, government, a business, or hacks. Most information in a specialized fields will be inherently biased.

I thought image 3 was a bit risky, almost voyeur, but then image 5 came along....

Gosh, I wish I was a sea shell on that day.

ANYwho, all of this stuff was pretty common sense.

Regarding the Avast info and free stuff. Lets just say it, most people don't use anti-virus/security because it costs money. I think it just re-iterates with free choices like Avast, etc, there really isn't any excuse for basic coverage. Infact, Avast free version, works better than a lot of the store bought Ultra Protection 9000 products sold in store.

A thong does technically cover up something... ...to continue with the beach illustrations.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree it is pretty much common sence but think about how many people out there dont use common sence. I will admit i wasnt familure with Tor. I may have to look into that.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
It doesn't matter how idiot-proof you make the Network Infrastructure, someone will still find a way to bypass it. It will also require too much testing to make it idiot-proof but we have bigger problems then trying to re-test all time for any flaws in the network every second of the day. Any IT department in the world will tell you that they need more man power, but no the heads of any organization are always the one that want the IT department to get budget cuts or lay offs or even salary sacrifice. So if you want to provide me with more man-power then sure I can spend more power and time to improve and fix the network.

[/rant]

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
Quote:

Ooo mama what's back there?!

Interesting pict... article.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippen Out;14177247
I agree it is pretty much common sence but think about how many people out there dont use common sence. I will admit i wasnt familure with Tor. I may have to look into that.
Just note that Tor bounces packets through public servers and performance will take an impact.

Also, do NOT torrent on Tor. It consumes resources that could be used by other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_08;14177317
It doesn't matter how idiot-proof you make the Network Infrastructure, someone will still find a way to bypass it. It will also require too much testing to make it idiot-proof but we have bigger problems then trying to re-test all time for any flaws in the network every second of the day. Any IT department in the world will tell you that they need more man power, but no the heads of any organization are always the one that want the IT department to get budget cuts or lay offs or even salary sacrifice. So if you want to provide me with more man-power then sure I can spend more power and time to improve and fix the network.

[/rant]
Then again... don't start with bad designs.

Examples from Sony fail:
  • Passwords should never be stored in plain text.
  • The database ID used by a webpage should be never give be given permissions to tables containing personal information. Stored procedures should be used.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Even worse than those who don't have proper protection at all, because they simply weren't educated on computers and safety, is those pro leet who thinks they know any better, runs nothing but "Common Sense 2011" and do that because they're not stupid, and know they're not infected.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yes, always use secure forms for any sensitives data though a secure entire PSN will be the ideal way but quite expensive for the public Certifications and keys for the users. Though it be expensive but if you can secure everything then you should be safe if you use good web encryption and Cipher. Also to make sure that the servers are also using authentication and encryption. It is going to be a major overhaul and a expensive price to pay for Sony.

It be nice to know if other companies have made the same mistakes in poor judgment in the way they treat the information, I sure hope not.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo;14177414
Just note that Tor bounces packets through public servers and performance will take an impact.

Also, do NOT torrent on Tor. It consumes resources that could be used by other.

Then again... don't start with bad designs.

Examples from Sony fail:
  • Passwords should never be stored in plain text.
  • The database ID used by a webpage should be never give be given permissions to tables containing personal information. Stored procedures should be used.
add in the fact that they actually embedded viruses into their CDs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

Fail

OT: Those are some nice pictures
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Also SecuROM they need to really stop investing in DRM and more about making better products that will sell then create a more way to destroy the reputation of legal customers than people who just get it for free.

But really I think nearly all of the software and hardware companies have got some dirty secret that they will not like to admit or share.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippen Out;14177129
No, there's nothing biased about it. Most tech illiterate people don't understand that good anti-malware software is free. They either go spend $50 on some name brand like Norton or McAffee, and then summarily never update it and let thier subscription expire. Or they simply go without any anti-virus. Many people I have found have a stigma when it comes to free anti-virus software, usually people who have had their CC #'s stolen, their identity hacked and have more virii on their system than the CDC has in Atlanta.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfroth;14177813
No, there's nothing biased about it. Most tech illiterate people don't understand that good anti-malware software is free. They either go spend $50 on some name brand like Norton or McAffee, and then summarily never update it and let thier subscription expire. Or they simply go without any anti-virus. Many people I have found have a stigma when it comes to free anti-virus software, usually people who have had their CC #'s stolen, their identity hacked and have more virii on their system than the CDC has in Atlanta.
i was looking at the fact that would suggest avast first. then bit defender then microsoft security essentials. why not AVG considering its better then the 2nd and 3rd option suggested.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:

Really?

Not unless you have the picture shot with her laptop's web cam and her buns are grinding sand....

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippen Out;14178190
i was looking at the fact that would suggest avast first. then bit defender then microsoft security essentials. why not AVG considering its better then the 2nd and 3rd option suggested.
He could suggest dozen of free AV.... but what's the point? This is a high-level article. It is disclosed he is the CEO of Avast.

AVG is not "better" than the others. Every single security app/suite has advantages and flaws. In addition, these rankings change every few years.

i.e. MS Essential is better than AVG in simplicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbozo;14178377
Really?

Not unless you have the picture shot with her laptop's web cam and her buns are grinding sand....
It is some-what suggestive. When have you ever been that happy in front of a computer doing split?
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
This article is right. The title is even right. 99% of the time, "hacks" are your fault. Only an extremely tiny, tiny amount of "hacks" are actual brute force attacks with a specific target. After that, it goes down to skids that just attach their virus to "daisy_goes_skinny_dipping.mp4" and have fun with you from there.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Quote:

I find her abs delicious
tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 44 Posts