Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the newbie guides on this great site and still somewhat feel overwhelmed. So far I have a stable 3.5 Ghz with a fsb of 410 using Prime95. Multiplier at 8.5. I haven't touched any voltages yet. They are set on Auto for now. The next thing I did was go to the next fsb:NB strap. I went from 266 Mhz to 333 Mhz and that led to not being able to boot to windows. I was forced to go back to clear the CMOS and go back to a system image I created a few weeks ago. Should I have just increased the FSB and not touch the fsb:strap?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
For now, try this:

Increase your Vcore 1.4 (I know it is high but you will be backing this down later).
Increase your NB voltage by 3 notches over stock
set your PCI express frequency to 100MHz
Turn off All andvanced halt state (the C1 C2 C3 etc...) EIST

Start uping your FSB and see how far you can go. Also, get a new cooler. That thing sucks! My 40 USD S1283 w/ and Ultra Kaze 3K does better than that thing!

Also, make sure you keep your temps below 70C (70C fore each core!). Use RealTemp or CoreTemp to read your temps properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm ashamed to be owning this cooler now. Guess its time to get another cooler then. I got that cooler for a cheap price. Only reason I got it. So I looked at the other air coolers on the guides and still can't decide which one to get. I'm also on a budget so can't really buy the most expensive cooler.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post
For now, try this:

Increase your Vcore 1.4 (I know it is high but you will be backing this down later).
I actually think it makes more sense to start at a low voltage and work you way up as necessary.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Agreed. But I usually set mine a little high and work down from there. But I say set your voltage to 1.35-1.375 in CPUz and see where you go. Then if need be go higher. Although with my Q66 I need a lot of voltage.... e-e 1.47v on a Q66 is like running 1.375v through a 45nm in a way. <.<

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Don't increase your Vcore that much. No Q9550 should need more than 1.3V to achieve 3.6GHz, and even that would be an exceptionally poor chip, especially on a decent board like the Maximus II. Leave the VCore at, say, 1.200V. You need to increase the PLL voltage, FSB termination voltage, and northbridge voltage first, and if increasing those two clicks doesn't work, increase VCore.

Also, on my board I found that once the NB voltage got over a certain point I had to up the SB voltage by .10 or POST would hang while initiating SATA devices for some reason.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok after a system image restore, gonna start all over. I'm now at 3.6 Ghz but will run a blend test and see how it goes. Vcore is at 1.3(not on auto). I noticed when I had vcore on auto it went up to like 1.35 and same 3.6 Ghz. Highest temp I had was 75 on one of the cores with that 1.35. Not liking that. My temps are in the mid 60's on all cores with the lower voltage. Probably not good but at least it ain't 75 degrees. As far as the other voltage settings go, I still have my PLL, FSB termination, NB, and SB voltages on auto. Should I bump those up a few notches? OR wait till the blend test fails?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Currently at 3.6 Ghz. Stable after 4 hours of large ffts and blend. Vcore at 1.25, NB @ 1.2(I think), FSB term @ 1.25, PLL on auto, DRAM Volt @ 2.05(what my RAM spec is) and SB 1.1 and 1.5 are on auto. Am I missing anything? Should I do a 24 hour test too or not really needed? Oh and Core temps were 65, 55, 62, 61. I know I need to get a better cooler.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Good Job!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts